• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weapon Light on Carbine

mdesign

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2004
Nebraska
I have an SBR with a 10.5" barrel and NSR hand guard and want to mount a weapon light up front. I typically I run my front grip with my thumb over the top of the rail and I wondered if there is a "best" way to mount a light so it can be thumb actuated from that position? I'm planning on going with a Surefire or Streamlight style light that has the toggling lever switch on the rear of the light.

On my 11.5" I use an Inforce WML mounted on a HSP keymod thorntail mount. I also use a surefire X300 on the 12 o'clock position on my other rifles. Surefire makes a pressure switch also.

If you go the Surefire X300/400 route you could grab a XT07 remote switch and just snap the pressure pad on the 12 o'clock rail under your thumb and use the constant on button as an index point to ensure your grip placement is consistent. Works very well for me...

A pressure switch may be the way to go, that would work from either strong or support side shooting.

I shoot the same way with a VTAC low profile mount on the right side of my PWS, it puts the tailcap switch right next to my thumb and I don't have to move my hand to activate. Tossed my pressure switch after I did a KISS eval.

I just picked up a HSP thorntail SBR mount for my surefire mini scout. I run it at 1 o'clock with the surefire pressure pad snapped at 12 o'clock behind the buis. Works well for me and I use the thumb break technique.

Who is John Galt?

Attachments

• main_wml_fde.jpg
    main_wml_fde.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 13
I used a Inforce WML last hunting season and loved it, no bulky or heavy stuff in the way and the slant cut rear switch is nice. Plenty of light for walking out at dark.

you have more options than you can think of. Surefire makes the forward grip integrated light. streamlight has tons of options, the handgun lights would even work since you can thumb activate those. DBAL has some really nice options as well, and some dual visible ir options.

DocUSMC makes a good point. There are a ton of good options - you even have 4 different cord lengths to choose from on a SF pressure switch. I love the design of the inforce but I don't care for the power source it uses, the beam pattern or the level of output.

OP, do you put any weight on other aspects of the light or are you just looking for the most ergonomic placement?

I'd love to get my hands on a DBAL-PL. The switch placement seems like a very ergonomic design for thumb activation, uses a great LED, driven hard enough for decent output, input voltage range gives you a rechargeable power source option, and the capabilities make it extremely versatile. That $750 price tag might hurt for a long time though...

DocUSMC makes a good point. There are a ton of good options - you even have 4 different cord lengths to choose from on a SF pressure switch. I love the design of the inforce but I don't care for the power source it uses, the beam pattern or the level of output.

OP, do you put any weight on other aspects of the light or are you just looking for the most ergonomic placement?

I'd love to get my hands on a DBAL-PL. The switch placement seems like a very ergonomic design for thumb activation, uses a great LED, driven hard enough for decent output, input voltage range gives you a rechargeable power source option, and the capabilities make it extremely versatile. That $750 price tag might hurt for a long time though...

I was able to get my hands on one. the mass order will be going out in about 90 days planetoptics will have them. I can tell you first hand, and as someone who has used a ton of different lights. I have the green version. I will never go back. I am going to be ordering one to replace the TLR-2g on my shotgun.