• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weapon light

krumfola

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Anyone run a TLR1 or similar “pistol” light on an AR?

Seems like it would offer versatility of using it on a rifle, pistol, shotgun, etc. over a dedicated light for a carbine.

Yes lots of folks use pistol lights on long guns

I have put my Surefire x300 on my rifle before. It works fine.

Reactions: krumfola
I’d only mount a TLR on a norinco rifle, chicom accessories for chicom guns.

Just get a surefire, better light, made in a better country, for better results

All my AR pistols have TLR-1HL’s on the 12:00 rail at the very end of the handguard ahead of my fixed front iron sight. Love the combined setup. The toggle switch is easily activated with either hand, and the front sight pushed up against it prevents the light from being accidentally activated. It’s a very lightweight setup.

Seems like it would offer versatility of using it on a rifle, pistol, shotgun, etc. over a dedicated light for a carbine.

I've done it in a pinch and hated it.

1. Light is somehow both awkward to turn on but super easy to accidentally turn on. Like walking with rifle slung and the light comes on when it bumps into your leg or brush.

2. The basic TLR1 I used doesn't have much throw, not great on a rifle.

FWIW I know this is an odd option that most folks probably don't know about but I used these for years and after giving most away to friends I still use it pretty often for guns that don't have a dedicated light:

It allows you to run any 1" flashlight on anything that has a rail and puts the light at 10-11 o'clock on a rifle. It's also easy to activate on a handgun though you aren't going to holster it. It takes about 2 seconds to put on a gun. Just slide it on the rail and rotate 90*. It's an option if you want to have a do everything light.

It works fine, but won't have the throw of a dedicated rifle light. I used one on a pcc for a while backed up against a Daniel Defense fixed sight and liked it. Easy to activate and quick to change over to a pistol.

Streamlights are used by plenty of guys on duty pistols so I wouldn't worry too much about durability. If you're looking for a better light, armsunlimited usually has Surefire X300 ultras for $200ish. A Modlight would make a much better rifle light, but they get pricey and you lose the versatility.

BDU has surefire 640 1500 lumen for $240 right now, not a pistol light buy FYI.

I run a tlr1hl on an AUG, had it on a scorpion for a bit too. Not ARs but if it works on them no reason it wont work on a gun woth 3x the rail space. You'll want to get it either high over the bore or close to the muzzle to reduce barrel shadow as much as possible with the shorter pistol lights

I do but I bought them as leo trade ins for 65 I think. The down side is that they sit very high above the rail.