• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision weapon mounted pvs14 w 3x mag and dbal

dumbbell

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2010
Des Arc, AR (aka where?)
Has anyone ever tried mounting a pvs14 plus either a 3x or 5x magnifier and used in conjunction with a dbal d2 as an aiming point for shooting out to 200-300 yards. I love the dbal, I just dont shoot that great offhand. I don't have the money to buy a dedicated scope at this point, and want to maximize what I already have. I have a 3 x magnifier already. Is a 5x worth buying for spotting mad longer shots? All of this is to kill hogs that are eating up our crops each year. Thanks for any help

Re: weapon mounted pvs14 w 3x mag and dbal

That would work real well out to 200 yards if you have the rifle supported as it is difficult to hold the laser still for the shot, I do same with an NV Eotech and either DBAL-I2 or DBAL-D2 on the front rail, just turn off the Eotech if you want to use the laser....I can co-witness both the Eotech and Laser.

You will need an IR Illuminator like the Torch Pro to go with it to reduce bloom and increase your sighting resolution.

3X%20Mag.jpg

175 yards through Eotech with PVS-14 & USGI 3X Mag:

USGI%203X%20Mag%20Olight%20m20%20Crimson.jpg

DBAL%20I2%20Left.jpg

4.5X Lens with DBAL-I2 Laser without IR Illuminator

Polaroid%20with%20IR%20Laser.jpg

By skypup
What brand 3x maginifier would you suggest to attach to my pvs-14? I have a eotech 3x but it does not attach to the pvs,i have the g23 currently ,but you said it would be better to attach to the pvs-14 scope.Do they screw on to the pvs?
Ron g

The Eotech 3X will not work, the best is a USGI 3X Magnifier, it is a heavy lens but works extremely well, you want a LARGE objective lens of 60mm or more....

As you can see in the above pic, the USGI 3X Mag screws into the 30mm objective of the PVS-14.

Thank you skypup
Ron g

Ron, there are two types of PVS-14 3X Magnifiers on the market, one is "commercial grade" and the other is "mil-spec grade", the commercial one is cheaper and you'll see it on sites like EBay, however that is NOT what you want.

You want the real Mil-Spec version that the US Military uses like this:

http://tnvc.com/shop/usgi-3x-magnifier-for-pvs-14/

It pays to get the real thing first, so you do not have to upgrade after purchasing the substandard el-cheapo model....lesson learned.

I run my 14 helmet mounted and use a 3x mag on it when I'm hunting yotes. Works great with my ir laser. I wouldn't lock yourself into weapon mounted unless your static and baiting. Shit happens too fast at night and you need that scan ability.

Thank you skypup,have you ever had the 3x maginifier attached on your helmet with the pvs-14 ? Is it to heavy for head mount?
Ron g

Personally, the only time I attach the 3X Mag to my PVS-14 helmet mount is when I am sitting in a stand needing a more high resolution long distance view.

I don't walk around with the PVS-14 helmet mount with the 3X Mag attached, for one it is very heavy but two it gives horrible situational awareness due to the much narrower FOV.

It does work excellent for laying out in the horse pasture on my back gazing at the stars and meteor showers though!!!
grin.gif

Head mounted we use the3 x lens and slip it on and off just to ID targets or check a who do there .. I have also used. 3x lens slipped on while shooting with weapons laser many times, walking with it mounted, Now that's silly to watch ! Ask me why i know LOL...No we don't walk with them mounted, but one time ........ Haha

degraded image quality using any thing in the path of the lens like eotech,Aimpoint and so on.. focus for distance and reticule at the same time, one is never actually happy. also it beats the shit out of the pvs14 front lens and body threads. wallows them out if bumped around with the lens mounted, we get rough out here.. it does however work with a 3x lens And dot optic, not good enough for me though. We have used lasers and pvs14 weapons mounted with and without 3-5x lens it works pretty good . I still rather use a laser and head mount with monos or goggles.

If using the Dbal mounted at 12:00 on the weapon and weapons mounted pvs14 I would use a tall Pvs-14 mount and. 1/2" spacer on the rail to get it higher to clear the Dbal as much as I could stand it..

Thank you skypup,my thoughts were that u would place on the 3x for viewing longer distances ,or that long shot.Would not want to use all the time ,I would think on the helmet that you would have tunnel vision with the 3x 0n.
Ron g

Thank you asm1 for your feed back on the 3x maginifier ,being new to night vision it's great to ask the pros here questions before I make a mistake.
Ron g