• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Weapon Mounted Video Camera

GardDog

LT
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2009
New Orleans
I'm looking into either getting a "stand alone" weapon mounted camera like the Epic Stealth Camera or a mount to attach my existing camera like the Deer Ridge Gun and Bow Camera Mount. Anyone have any personal experience with either of these or a similar mount?

Re: Weapon Mounted Video Camera

Personally I think the footage is horrible from any weapon mounted camera, especially the kill shot. You just can not keep the camera steady to capture a really good impact shot because of recoil.

The other problem you have is not being able to focus, zoom or make sure your shot is centered...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: soreloser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally I think the footage is horrible from any weapon mounted camera, especially the kill shot. You just can not keep the camera steady to capture a really good impact shot because of recoil.

The other problem you have is not being able to focus, zoom or make sure your shot is centered... </div></div>
+1. But it does capture the action on what your seeing, except the impact shots. And the video is very wobbly. But when your by yourself, it may be the only option to get something on film.

I've tried one of those swingarm mounts, but it's too bulky to tote, makes noise during setup, and takes a few minutes to hang. Just looking for an inexpensive option. I heard the Epic was alright, except in lowlight situations. Never thought about the shaky issue.

This is a link to the cameras we use for our stuff. It has the BEST video quality for a POV camera on the market. They are NOT cheap but if you want quality footage this is the right camera and deck for the job. You dont have to fiddle with tapes or memory cards because it has a built in hard drive system. These are also HD cameras so a Hard Drive is a must because of the video quality and size!

FYI we used 3 of these on a 1800HP NMCA drag car and with the anti vibration we could see everything clear up to 280mph.

http://www.vio-pov.com/

I have one of those deer ridge camera mounts. I havent used it to shoot any animals yet, but I did use it on my shotgun to shoot skeet. You could definately see the clays getting dusted. It does do some jumping around due to recoil, but if you zoom out a little, the footage is pretty good. If you have a good, small video camera, that mount is hard to beat just to try it out and see if you like it. I think that I paid around $40-$50 for it. I havent used it in a while-dove season opens here on Tuesday and I might just try it! If I were you, I would try it out.

Thanks. I have a small JVC, hard drive style camera. I'll give it a shot.

I see Automotive Racecam setups frequently at the Watkins Glen track. They involve a very small camera device with a remotely wired/mounted mini camcorder device.

I suspect this could be a fruitful direction into which you might address your research.

Greg

Again, not amazing video uality, but its a camera with a mounting system.

http:/ /www.advancedtaccam.com/product.html

Weapon mounted video cameras.

Danger Will Robinson....

It might make for good action on a TV Hunting Channel, or for personal usage after hunting game, but think of the ramifications if a Government committee was "stood up" to clear each and every shot, or to ascertain the legality of same....