• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Wear Eye Pro?

tnichols

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2010
Morley IA
Going through my pistol bag tonight and came across this. My pistol range is 100% steel. Typical range is 10 to 25 yards. My guess is a Hornady 185 XTP out of my G21. My range bag is usually quite close to me as I shoot. It's quite tarnished, so it's been riding around in there for awhile. Keep those peepers protected fellas.

IMG_3866.JPG

Very true, Oakley makes some great glasses just for this purpose. Guess that's why so many combat troops use them.

Amazing what you find after you shoot. A few years back, I did an extensive 2-day pistol course. Lots of steel. I was a damn magnet. It became the running joke in class. Nobody wanted to be next to me. By the end of Day2, I honestly got tagged about a half dozen times. Four of those required some rinsing out and a band-aid. Of course...on Day2 after I became well known on the line...the instructor showed up with "My Little Pony" band-aids. I wore them with pride! Weird shit. Nobody else got tagged.

Steel needs to be hung properly to help prevent these occurrences. Especially pistol range steel should be hung so that there is a downward angle to the steel target. That ensures that most if no all of the splatter will ricochet into the ground at the base of the target. Steel challenge matches especially should be set up properly. I see and hear more ricochets coming off steel during those matches than anything, Too many people set these targets up mounted perpendicular to the ground, allowing splatter to go in all directions.

It's a pet peeve of mine, having caught my share of splatter in parts of my body from other shooters on the line or even in the next bay over (8-10' tall berms between).

So, like tnichols said: "use your eye pro" and know what and where others are shooting.

I shoot some bowling pin matches. It's crazy how much shit gets ricocheted back. They match directors say the band-aids are included with the match fees. Eye pro is always a must.