• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wearing/ burning out a barrel

madav8r

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2011
Hello, i am shooting a savage model 12 .223 50 or 55 grain bullets moving around 3300 fps at the muzzel and was curious if anyone knew what it takes to wear out the barrel? I think i have shot around 600 rounds through it. Maybe more maybe less. Anyone know if i may be looking at a new barrel?

Re: Wearing/ burning out a barrel

Takes a LOT of rounds to shoot out a .223 barrel. I even think at least 5000 is quite an understatement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Takes a LOT of rounds to shoot out a .223 barrel. I even think at least 5000 is quite an understatement. </div></div>

+1 I had a AR once that had almost 9,000 through it before it was time to change, and even then it was a "just because" kind of thing. I think it could have gone longer before it was necessary.

Whatever you do, don't shoot your gun because it could possibly wear your barrel out over time. It could take +5,000 rounds or 601 rounds, so why take the chance?
smile.gif

If it only took 600 rounds to wear out a barrel, I think barrel manufacturers would be real happy and shooters would be pissed. You've got plenty of life left in that barrel.