• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wearing out a 308Win barrel

Bugholes

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
May 26, 2008
Central TN
www.bugholes.com
for those of you that have worn out a 308 Winchester barrel in a bolt action rifle, how many rounds did you get before changing the barrel?
to semi-standardize, let’s say that ”worn out” means your group size (from peak accuracy) has increased by 50-100% meaning a 1/4MOA barrel is now a 1/2MOA barrel. I’ve recently changed my 308 barrel and curious to what you guys have seen

5k to 8k. wore out 3. no rhyme or reason to how many it took. My last one I actually wore out the barrel the trigger and the rear trigger pin in my Remington 700.

Be cool to see reported steel type too. 416R, CMV4150, CHF CL, Nitride, etc.

As a former high power shooter my M1A barrels typically went about 4k rounds before noticeable decrease on the generous target we shot. As age creeped in and I switched to FTR with a bolt gun, I have seen noticeable decrease in as little as 2k rounds. The F class X ring is one half minute. All these barrels were stainless from known top notch makers and installed by known smiths. I believe each barrel is unique but all were treated well and carefully cleaned.

On a casual plinking or hunting rifle I believe the barrel should last a lifetime.

Hope this info helps.

Reactions: Superjet
As a former high power shooter my M1A barrels typically went about 4k rounds before noticeable decrease on the generous target we shot. As age creeped in and I switched to FTR with a bolt gun, I have seen noticeable decrease in as little as 2k rounds. The F class X ring is one half minute. All these barrels were stainless from known top notch makers and installed by known smiths. I believe each barrel is unique but all were treated well and carefully cleaned.

On a casual plinking or hunting rifle I believe the barrel should last a lifetime.

Hope this info helps.
You shoulda got your money back. The interwebs says 308’s last 10k rounds easy!

😂😂😂😂😂

Sorry, couldn't help it….

Per Jacob Bynum, around 10K unless you clean too much, then about 4 to 5K
I wonder if he is/was keeping detailed records (beyond simple round count)? Shooting for score and measuring groups, or just shooting for hits on steel for example. Back in the day he shot factory ammo exclusively if I recall. So no snipers hide 75k psi no pressure signs at all hand loads.

Approximately 8k. Factory Savage barrel. My standard of accuracy was under 1 inch @ 100 yards.
Unless running crazy hot Rounds, 10k should be achievable in a .308.

At 8k…. Order the new barrel! Lead times are long for the best ones!

Sirhr
The OP’s accuracy standard is small though, or at least a doubling of group size, which is key.

10k is doable, but likely not at half moa.

Have gone through 9 .308 barrels on my original 700 and went from factory Rem barrel to SS customs. My round counts were between 5500-10,000. Big range but just how it happened.

Reactions: lash
I also had a pre bankruptcy Remington 308 factory barrel that shot great out of the box, and then after about 200 rounds went to shit. It wouldn't hold a 1.5 inch group. I tried a new stock, trigger, different torque settings on the action screws, suppressed, open muzzle, different ammo including FGMM 168 and 175, Hornady match and American Gunner, Berger factory ammo. Nothing helped. I pulled that one after chasing my tail for another 300 rounds. So 500 rounds total through that barrel.

Last edited:
I wonder if he is/was keeping detailed records (beyond simple round count)? Shooting for score and measuring groups, or just shooting for hits on steel for example. Back in the day he shot factory ammo exclusively if I recall. So no snipers hide 75k psi no pressure signs at all hand loads.

Yeah, if I remember correctly he was shooting mostly factory 175s and was probably using the old factory AI barrels, although I have no specific knowledge on this, but it makes the most sense.

Those old AI barrels are Lothar Walther and are very hard steel, so they should wear just a bit longer.

I pulled my last 308Win barrel at around 5,000 rounds (last month)
it was a cut rifled 416SS barrel that started by shooting 1-1.1” at 400y and 2” at 600
when it was mostly 2” at 400 and 4-5” at 600 I decided to change it out
barrel inside finish was rough enough that I had to clean a lot more often…

155s at 2810
168s at 2750
175s at 2700
all of which I would call reasonable and customary speeds

just curious what others had seen

Reactions: Dolomite and DIBBS
I'm at 6000 ish on a CHF chrome lined FN SPR barrel. I believe it's toast for my standard. It went from .3 MOA to .75 MOA. 175 smk at 2650 to 2700. Varget. Cleaned sparingly for the first 3000.
If all I needed to do was ring 1 MOA steel targets it would be fine.

for those of you that have worn out a 308 Winchester barrel in a bolt action rifle, how many rounds did you get before changing the barrel?
to semi-standardize, let’s say that ”worn out” means your group size (from peak accuracy) has increased by 50-100% meaning a 1/4MOA barrel is now a 1/2MOA barrel. I’ve recently changed my 308 barrel and curious to what you guys have seen

Not a bolt gun, but double lug 14, 32 pounds of powder.