• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weather

nashlaw

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2006
manchester, tn
Sitting here in Tornado Alley, TN with a warning of possibly severe weather headed this way. "Severe" in my AO could mean anything from frost to locusts. Have tornadoes pretty frequently around here. Any of you remember or survive the tornado cluster that hit the Midwest about 1976? I have friends that were in Xenia, OH that caught a tthrashing.

[video=youtube;-ZnwfVZ3w0w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZnwfVZ3w0w[/video]

That line is pretty gnarly, but to me, looking at the radar its not going to throw any tornado's. Its not a very well developed line. Its about 6 or 8 different big cells. If it was one line like a squale line or being pushed by a front(its a really weak cold front pushing it). Its topping out between 40k and 59k feet. Only thing in that line I would worry about was hail.

If you want to check out a great radar check out aviationweather.gov. Go to observations and then radar. Its basically an un augmented radar.
AWC - Radar
Then click on single site radar closest to you. You can use the arrows to move around from radar site to radar site.

Another good one is avweather.com. The 3rd map "radar summary" is a great one that shows speeds, direction, hail, tops, etc...
NATRAD MAP 2X - Click on map to get to Main Graphics Menu

That line is pretty gnarly, but to me, looking at the radar its not going to throw any tornado's. Its not a very well developed line. Its about 6 or 8 different big cells. If it was one line like a squale line or being pushed by a front(its a really weak cold front pushing it). Its topping out between 40k and 59k feet. Only thing in that line I would worry about was hail.

Discreet supercells located along a boundary can put down tornadoes just as easily as a major frontal squall...but I'd agree, the current line along the TN/KY border looks more like a wind/hail threat than a tornado threat.

There was a hell of a textbook radar hook echo that went by/through Johnson City, TN earlier this evening...

Discreet supercells located along a boundary can put down tornadoes just as easily as a major frontal squall

I would agree, but its a lot less likely. Not enough energy in any one individual cell to throw them down, however a lot of times the individual cells will merge and then things get interesting.

My buddy has a picture of his radar painting the tornado that destroyed Joplin, MO 3 or 4 years ago. I went into Fayeteville, AR(XNA) later that night and things were gnarly to say the least even though we were in the clear the wind shear was horrible and I was surprised we never got a wind shear caution or warning.

Supposedly one touched down near Johnson city. I saw a picture of a funnel cloud on the local news. We had some soft ball size hail too! It got crazy for a little while but most have passed now.

I've been within shooting distance of three tornados here in northern middle Tennessee. '99, '05 and '08. I actually sold and installed tornado shelters for a few years. I'd still be doing it but the weather stabilized and business fell off. It was good while it lasted though. Only time I ever made six figures for the year.

I feel for you guys, out here in Colorado, near the mountains, we get almost zero tornados, lots of snow, and wind and hard rain occasionally, but nothing like you guys get. I don't know how you live there, but I guess you get used to it.

snipe10, it's funny that I never thought of "getting used to" tornadoes, but I guess I have. Several years ago, I drove within a hundred yards of one as it demolished a church. It proved fatal for a little boy that was taking shelter there.

couldn't do it nashlaw but then again I wasn't brought up with them, sad when anyone dies from weather, especially children, stay safe