• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weatherby Mark V 9-lug action source?

DJL2

Tiger 33A
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2013
OCONUS - Land of Kimchi
I'd love to have a Weatherby Mark V action, but not so much the Mark V rifles they catalog. Is there a decent source out there other than simply buying the least expensive Mark V one can find? Perhaps a smith that stocks them?

Amplification/Gripes:
1. Monte Carlo stocks: I hate this design, it's an anachronism. Unless Peak44 takes over their whole catalog, this will always be an issue.
2. Barrel contours: I don't have much use for a #1/#2 contour barrel, nor fluting, but especially not a gun chambered for a magnum.
3. Radial brakes: brakes aren't necessarily bad, but I greatly disdain radial brakes (and 1/2-28 threads).

By the time you take out the rifles with a fly weight barrel, a fluted barrel, a radial break, and a Monte Carlo stock... you end up on The Hide asking for action sources.

This thread has a few sources of builders that have used the mark V. Probably need to call around.

Others threads I have read through claim that weatherby does not sell there action or barrelled actions out. You would need to buy a gun to start with.

Reactions: DJL2
The Mark V's I've had were throated too long for what I consider good accuracy. Yes if you farted around a bit you could get the promised 1.5 inch group. but For most here 1 MOA or better is a requirement. As of today the only Mark V I own is a 30-06 my dad gave me. It shoots 2" on a good day. I've got a spare Bartlien barrel in .308, Two Makers Marks into the evening I'm wondering if any of you guys know a good Smith to put the two together? And if the result is likely to be worth it?

I don't own a 1 MOA bolt gun, but if I did it would be for sale. ;-) Really just want the action because it's a cool design.

Weatherby did confirm, promptly, that they wouldn't sell anything but a complete rifle and that what I requested wasn't feasible.

Weatherby is chasing the lighter, faster, full zoom zoom hunting marker with the Mark 5. Think budget Gun Werks. I find a used rifle a build what you want. It’s definitely a very unique action that’s time tested.

Ymmv just my .02

Mark V actions are now made by ATK in Brainerd, MN and finished by Weatherby. They don't sell them independent of complete rifles. Their real speciality is hunting rifles. The nine lugs are long or magnum actions what are you trying to build?

It's weird to me thay people aren't seeing good accuracy out of Weatherby rifles, they sell models with criterion barrels like the accumark that will shoot .75 moa out of the box. They also have a model thay comes with krieger barrels, just not in boat anchor truck axel prs thicc contour.

Mark V actions are now made by ATK in Brainerd, MN and finished by Weatherby. They don't sell them independent of complete rifles. Their real speciality is hunting rifles. The nine lugs are long or magnum actions what are you trying to build?

It's weird to me thay people aren't seeing good accuracy out of Weatherby rifles, they sell models with criterion barrels like the accumark that will shoot .75 moa out of the box. They also have a model thay comes with krieger barrels, just not in boat anchor truck axel prs thicc contour.
I had a German built .300 and a Japan built 7mm. And the 06 (also Japan built). So it's possible things have improved since then.

@GenericBadGuy - haven't really decided. No rush, no particular need either. An action doesn't take up too much space and I won't feel bad about not shooting it until it's built ;-). I don't currently have a magnum anything... or even a long action, at this point. I was considering something quasi practical like a 300 or something off the wall, probably med/big bore.