• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weatherby Mark XXII - Bolt Action - Made in Germany

Cowpokey

MSgt, USAF Ret
Minuteman
  • May 1, 2020
    Bel Air, MD
    I have an opportunity to buy a Mark XXII bolt action, made in Germany, with three 5 round mags, original box, and all paperwork. It doesn't look like it has been shot, if it has it was very very little. The wood and blueing look flawless, I'm guessing it was a safe queen. It must have had a scope mounted at some point, because it still has the bases installed. It's so perdy I'm not sure if I'd "want" to shoot it, but it goes against my will power to have a gun and not shoot it.

Disclaimer: I'm a rimfire addict...so this is VERY tempting. I mentioned it to my wife, and she hasn't discouraged me. Haha!

Seller is asking $1,399 (consignment), I could probably get it for 1,250-1,300...should I grab it? I'm not sure when it was made or what they cost new. I forgot to get the serial number...because I'm a dumbass.

Well a little digging on the interwebz shows auctions going between $1353.00 (NOS in box with one mag)in 2016 and $3k with a Leupold rimfire scope in 2018 sooooo... Doesn't seem like a bad deal at all!

Edited for spelling...

Last edited:
    Reactions: Cowpokey
    I don't know if it "came" with a scope. There isn't one on it, but it has Weaver style mounts/adapters on the dovetail. I put in an offer for it through the owner of the LGS that has it. He's going to call the seller in the morning and get back to me when he finds out. I "need" another .22 like another hole in my cranium. It's just so pretty...lol

Messaging back and forth with a guy that has one, he confirmed the "made in Germany" ones are actually Anchutz 64 actions/barrel with Weatherby wood. We'll see how it goes.

Reactions: nikonNUT
    I have a Leupold 4x28 rimfire scope on one of my Kidd ULW rifles; I could move that scope to the Weatherby...and get a 3-9 AO Leupold for that Kidd.

Now I'm just making excuses to myself...fuckage, I need to just get it. 🤣 We'll see what tomorrow brings.

AB1AF1FB-D3A0-433B-8A02-AFD3A7F304F0.jpeg
    It all comes down to whether you consider the stock to be worth the premium in money for that barreled action. I’ll not dissuade you, but it’d have to wear an absolute heartbreaker piece of wood for me to pay that much.
    I’ve a S/A164 I absolutely love, great weight and balance for a squirrel gun, but not worth over a grand in my book.

Last edited:
    It has a nice looking stock. I don't know what "grade" of wood it would be, but it's definitely above "field grade". We'll see what the day brings...eagerly waiting on the phone to ring.

They're beautiful rifles but they don't shoot any better than any other 64 action Anschutz.

That being said, if I came across one and wanted it, I'd add it to the collection in a heartbeat.
    I wouldn't expect it to shoot better than another 64, but I don't know what to expect out of a 64 to begin with. Are they good?

I wouldn't expect it to shoot better than another 64, but I don't know what to expect out of a 64 to begin with. Are they good?
    I’d rate them right behind a CZ452, but ahead of the CZ455 by a fair margin.
    They have the Mags of the 54, but a simple bolt that locks up on the bolt handle root only. Trigger is adjustable, but again not refined. The nicest change on the Weatherby is the trigger guard, they sculpted out a nice look for that part.

I've got 3 of them now, including the tube fed. All 95% and above condition. Paperwork on one of them. Haven't paid above $1000 for any of them. Mag fed one's are usually in the $750- $850 range , tube fed which are the hardest to come by, i got lucky and paid only a $1000 for , usually they go higher

I've got 3 of them now, including the tube fed. All 95% and above condition. Paperwork on one of them. Haven't paid above $1000 for any of them. Mag fed one's are usually in the $750- $850 range , tube fed which are the hardest to come by, i got lucky and paid only a $1000 for , usually they go higher

Are you talking about the semi-auto ones? They are the ones that are really sought after. I'd pass on the bolt and look into a XXII semi. Made by Beretta with weatherby name on the side

Are you talking about the semi-auto ones? They are the ones that are really sought after. I'd pass on the bolt and look into a XXII semi. Made by Beretta with weatherby name on the side
    you are correct, the semi's are the one's i have. I watched a bolt action go for $3250 a few weeks ago. I would have liked it for my collection and they are very rare, but that was a little to rich for my blood. If the OP doesn't purchase the one he's looking at, i would like the lead to the seller , i would buy it in a heartbeat.

I hadn't heard back from the shop owner, so I drove over to look at it some more. The shop owner came in a little after I got there, tried to call the seller but he didn't answer his phone, left him a message but still haven't heard back. According to the serial number it's a 2006 model.

I have an Anschutz-made one, like the one you are looking at, and I would not sell it for what this owner is asking. Why? It is really nice, good looking/shooting rifle and I just enjoy the bleep shooting it.

If you do ever decide to track down one of the autoloader Weatherbys, be aware they were made in Italy (Beretta), Japan (3 different mfg, generally received the fanciest wood), and America (reportedly by Mossberg).
    Different folks have their own preferences, however by most reports the tube-fed were more accurate.

I’d rate them right behind a CZ452, but ahead of the CZ455 by a fair margin.
    They have the Mags of the 54, but a simple bolt that locks up on the bolt handle root only. Trigger is adjustable, but again not refined. The nicest change on the Weatherby is the trigger guard, they sculpted out a nice look for that part.
    I was going to put a spent case in the chamber and check the trigger pull, but for some weird reason I don't have one. I don't know what I'm going to do with the XXII, I wiped it down, put everything neatly back in the box and put it away. My wife isn't upset that I bought it..but also said, "what are you going to do with another 'gun', you have too many." Silly woman. :D

nIce afternoon won't happen for a few months, or in 5 minutes...crazy weather we've had the last few weeks or so.
    I hear that. I’ve actually had 2-3 good shooting days this month. Usually that’s one terrible day

I hear that. I’ve actually had 2-3 good shooting days this month. Usually that’s one terrible day
    I've got a "family membership" (unlimited use) at the local indoor range, same place I picked up the XXII, but it's only 25 yards...so it's extremely boring with a rifle. The outdoor range is 45 minutes each way, and still only goes to a little beyond 100 yards. Weather has been crap every weekend for for a few months. Weather during the week can be good, but by the time I finish work, daylight isn't long enough to make it worthwhile.

I've got a "family membership" (unlimited use) at the local indoor range, same place I picked up the XXII, but it's only 25 yards...so it's extremely boring with a rifle. The outdoor range is 45 minutes each way, and still only goes to a little beyond 100 yards. Weather has been crap every weekend for for a few months. Weather during the week can be good, but by the time I finish work, daylight isn't long enough to make it worthwhile.
    Seems like my days on are beautiful, days off not so much.

Now comes the bigger question, how are you gonna scope it?
    I picked up a Steyr last year, and have had a bear of a time figuring the best compromise in glass.
    Once you try the long range rimfire thing, it screws with how you look at your hunting guns.

I don't have any plans to shoot it. If I decide to scope it, it will get a Leupold, something in the $300-500 range. I have a Vudoo for long range rimfire stuff. I didn't go looking for the XXII, it just showed up on consignment at the LGS and when I saw it I just had to have it. I have a lot of other 22s, so this one will be stored "as is" until I decide what to do with it.

Any idea what's in that little manila envelope? It's not a spent casing, must be some small extra/replacement part? Don't want to open it.

If it came with scope, what scope would it come with? It has the bases screwed to the top of the dovetail. The guy that put it on commission at the LGS wanted to take the bases off, not sure what he'd do with them..unless he had another one to put them on.

If it came with scope, what scope would it come with? It has the bases screwed to the top of the dovetail. The guy that put it on commission at the LGS wanted to take the bases off, not sure what he'd do with them..unless he had another one to put them on.
    I would hazard a guess and say this one?
    Weatherby.jpg

The 4x50 is lind of a lie. It's actually a 4x28 and the 50 refers to luminoisty. Said to be Japan made and folks on some forums rave about them but... 🤷‍♂️
    I put a 4x28 on one of my Kidd rifles, it's a good scope, but not crazy about the fixed 60 yard parallax

I was just thinking peroid correct. IF it was mine I think a Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 (or NXS 2.5-10x42) would be the cats meow. Good glass, good magnification range and not over the top tacticool looking like say... a Nightforce ATAC-R 7-35x56 on a Vudoo. Oh, who am I kidding? That set up is gonna look freaking AWESOME when I get it all bolted together! :LOL: But I digress.'Tis a beautiful rifle and will look grand in what ever ball gown she ends up wearing! Congrats on the additon to the .22 family!

Last edited:
    I was just thinking peroid correct. IF it was mine I think a Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 (or NXS 2.5-10x42) would be the cats meow. Good glass, good magnification range and not over the top tacticool looking like say... a Nightforce ATAC-R 7-35x56 on a Vudoo. Oh, who am I kidding? That set up is gonna look freaking AWESOME when I get it all bolted together! :LOL: But I digress.'Tis a beautiful rifle and will look grand in what ever ball gown she ends up wearing! Congrats on the additon to the .22 family!
    SHV has a fixed parallax at 125 yards, that wouldn't be my pick for a rimfire...the NXS on the other hand is 25 - ∞

Perhaps so but SHV stands for "Shooter, Hunter, Varminter" and my varmints are way closer than 125 yards 🤷‍♂️ And not hating on NightForce. Love their scopes!

Last edited:
    Indeed. I think the XXII would be a great squirrel gun, but 125 yards is a little far or that. Even having variable parallax only going down to 25 yards isn't ideal. Something in the 10 - ∞ would be better. Leupold has an little AO scope that starts at 10 yards, but it's AO, not side focus. Need to find a side focus 10 yards to infinity, 2-7x or 3-9x, but would have to be nice, also light and smaller is better.

Well this is probably blasphemy for suggesting putting it on a Weatherby but the Athlon Midas HMR 2.5-15x50 parallaxes down to 10 yards and weighs a hair over 1.5 pounds and is side focus. I run a Midas TAC on my CZ457 and have been very happy with it but it is a 6-24. Bought it to stay under the PRS production price limit and get as much magnification as possible. It has sent 50 squirrels to the great beyond so far! :LOL: