• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weatherby Mk V as a base for a custom build?

762libertarian

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2012
I've found a LGS (note: in Europe) that has a few used Weatherby Mk V rifles in stock. They go for about 450-500 usd. I'm not keen on the weird calibers, the light barrel profiles or the scratched, glossy, crooked stocks, but the receivers should be good to go for a custom build, right?

I've never fired a Weatherby rifle. How are their actions? Do they feed well? Is the trigger and safety good enough and durable enough to be a reasonable 2nd hand buy? Is there anything about them that complicates a barrel change operation?

I'm thinking I should buy the cheapest one of the 9 lug rifles, screw on a heavy barrel chambered for something like .300 PRC or some other modern cartridge and then bed the rifle in a decent stock with modern ergonomics. Should make for a unique build with a reasonable price tag.

If I recall correctly, they're not a very rigid action, which can be a problem with heavy barrels. It's been a few years since I have read anything on the subject.

My dad is a Weatherby fanatic and has probably owned somewhere around 100 of them over the last 40 years. Up until recently I did almost all of my hunting with a Weatherby Accumark in 300 Weatherby Mag, and I also have 3 Deluxes in 240, 257, and 300. They're nice rifles, but there is essentially no aftermarket for them. McMillan makes a few of their stocks for them, and I believe Triggertech is now making triggers for them. That's about it though. Obviously you can have a barrel custom fit, but you aren't going to find prefits anywhere.

If you can find a Weatherby 307 action that would be a much better choice since it is an R700 pattern and will fit Remage barrels and 700 pattern stocks and chassis.

When I was growing up everyone talked about owning Weatherby's but no one ever presented one because they were full of crap. LOL The Weatherby Mk V is a top notch rifle, but as someone above mentioned, there's not a lot of aftermarket for them as I can recall. I built my rifle on a Weatherby Vanguard 7mm Rem Mag action. Tons of stuff out there for that one. Factory two stage trigger is outstanding. This one is a one mile shooter in hands other than mine. LOL

Attachments

• Weatherby Vanguard.jpg
    Weatherby Vanguard.jpg
    650.8 KB · Views: 30