• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weatherby Mk V Ultralight

Highground

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2008
Michigan
Anybody have an opinion on these? I saw a good deal (maybe) for one in .243 Win. It was very light, but I have no expirience with Weatherby.

Re: Weatherby Mk V Ultralight

I will take a stab at it, but your asking about a gun that brings with it strong opinions either way. Some think they are the best thing ever and some say they are very overpriced and junk. I fall into the crowed that thinks they are good. i like the 60 degree bolt, The action is very strong, they cycle very smooth, and can shoot pretty good as well

Form and function Weatherby is hard to beat. The guarantee 1.5 MOA (not that great but non the less they guarantee it).

For a walking hunting gun it would be great. I am not sure if they cut an extra long throat in non weatherby calibers, but if they do, the long throat could be an issue.

Aftermarket parts are hard to find and expensive.

If its a good deal I doubt you will be disappointed.

+1 on all of the above.

I carried a Wby Ultralight in 7mm WBY for a while. They are light, the action is smooth, and the 60deg lift is a nice plus on a hunting rifle. Really no complaints at all.

In fact, I think they're the best out there for a lightweight, factory option.

I have a Weatherby all stainless in a 243. Excellent rifle for hunting. Groups are less than MOA. With a little savvy the triggers can be made really nice to around 13OZ. Shoots 95gr ballistic tips and 95gr bergers really well. I am very happy with mine.

The one I was looking at was a good price($900.00), compared to others that I have seen, new. It has a very thin barrel, but for a medium/big game hunting rifle, should not be an issue, as long stings of shoots are not anticipated. At this point, I see it's major advantage is it's extreme light weight (I would guess at 5-6 lbs). It seems to have a very nice trigger.

I just picked up an ultralight from a member on here in 300 weatherby, you won't be disappointed, I'm workin up a load for it and it's already sub MOA shooter.