• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weatherby on-the-cheap Short Tactical Rifle

ranger1183

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2006
Whitefish, MT, USA
Goal: To piece together an <span style="font-weight: bold">inexpensive but feature rich sub MOA short tactical type of .308 Winchester caliber rifle.</span> I wanted the action to be already "done", without having to spend a small fortune getting the action trued and bolt upgraded. Still, I wanted to have all the bells and whistles of my ideal sort of action. The Howa 1500 / Weatherby Vanguard actions come VERY close to obtaining 100% of that goal and are priced right to begin with.

Action and trigger: Weatherby Vanguard synthetic rifle, $360 out the door. ( http://www.weatherby.com/product/rifles/vanguard/synthetic ). If I had to do it again, I would use a Howa 1500 action and trigger. I think, but am not sure, that the Howa 1500 trigger is of a little better quality than the stock Weatherby Vanguard trigger. If not, then I'd upgrade to a Timney trigger.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">The Weatherby Vanguard - Howa 1500 action has all the features straight out of the box that I wish the Remington 700 had straight out of the box.</span>

Weatherby Vanguard Pros:
1. Beautifully smooth CNC machined action (virtually) trued right out of the box.
2. Lugs required (almost) no lapping what-so-ever.
3. Action face was already square and good to go.
3. Integrated recoil lug machined into the action, no truing required.
4. M-16 style extractor.
5. Vented bolt, just in case of blown primers (as a hand loader pushing the envelope on some of my custom loads, this is a feature I wish I had in the past).
6. Extremely user friendly bolt and firing pin design that can be maintained in the field with no special tools required.
7. Plus the added benifit of the Vanguard having a very "tune-able" trigger, <span style="font-weight: bold">just like the Remington 700 does.</span>

Weatherby Vanguard Cons:
1. Metric Action threads. Non-typical for my gunsmith of choice, but that is what friends and friends of gunsmiths are for.
2. Single source for 1 piece Picatinny rail; Howa has an exclusive contract to retail EGW bases for these actions.
( http://www.legacysports.com/products/misc/misc_egw.html ). Is there another source out there?
3. Stock was junk and is listed in the catagory of "in the garbage immediately" bad.
4. Limited after market match quality firing pin systems. I'm still in search of one if anyone knows of a source.
5. Standard sporter "noodle" barrel was much thinner and lighter than I personally desired.
6. Barrel removal requires to have a stress relieving cut just in front of the action to remove the tension from the action face. Locking the barrel in a vise and using an action wrench to twist off the action is not a procedure I'll ever duplicate again. See Peter Lincoln's excellent posts for details of the remedy to this problem. ( http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...2457#Post862457 ).

The Weatherby "STR" I wanted to build required only two major purchases.
1. Match quality HEAVY barrel. I am a Single Point Cut Rifling barrel fanatic so I went with an in-stock Krieger barrel. This barrel was a medium contour Palma barrel, a 1:10 inch twist stainless steel barrel with a .298" - .3065" Palma bore that was chambered, cut to length and crowned with an 11 degree target crown.
2. Stock had to be readily available, relatively inexpensive and of good quality. I bought a used Bell & Carlson Howa short action stock with varmint barrel channel here on the Hide. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...949#Post1187949

The rifle was assembled rather quickly by "custom built rifle" standards. Metric barrel threads were cut, barrel was chambered and target crown was cut. Bedding was minimal. The Bell & Carlson stock already has an aluminum bedding block. A very slight and quick amount of bedding was done around the integrated recoil lug and tang of the action. Excellent end result. The only scope available was the 5-20x50 Horus Vision Falcon with the H-25 reticle. Scope was mounted on Leupold Quick Release Weaver Style 30mm Rings and Leupold Quick Release Weaver 2 piece base.

<span style="font-weight: bold">RANGE DAY</span>

I was invited to shoot at Renton Fish and Game Club, Renton, WA and was hosted by Range Master Glenn P. and Range Safety Officer Dennis "Magu". I arrived with only a few hours of sun light left (it gets dark early up here in Washington State) so shooting was fast and furious in the cold weather (read: "mirage from hell off the hot barrel"). Otherwise, conditions were ideal.

I didn't bring cleaning equipment which would not have been used anyway with the waning daylight. Hence, barrel break-in consisted of quickly reloading and firing another string. Not ideal by Krieger published guidelines, but it was the only option under these conditions.

(http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/Break_In__Cleaning-c1246-wp2558.htm).

A total of 60 rounds were fired using 11 different loads.
Load 1: 168 grain SMK w/ 42.5 grains of Varget
Load 2: 168 grain SMK w/ 43.0 grains of Varget
Load 3: 168 grain SMK w/ 43.5 grains of Varget
Load 4: 168 grain SMK w/ 44.0 grains of Varget

Load 5: 175 grain SMK w/ 42.0 grains of Varget
Load 6: 175 grain SMK w/ 42.5 grains of Varget
Load 7: 175 grain SMK w/ 43.0 grains of Varget
Load 8: 175 grain SMK w/ 43.5 grains of Varget
Load 9: 175 grain SMK w/ 44.0 grains of Varget
Load 10: 175 grain SMK w/ 44.5 grains of Varget

Load 11: 168 grain Hornady AMAX Match factory ammo

Results:

Shooting at 100 yards, <span style="font-weight: bold">the rifle is a sub-1/2 MOA with ANY of the tested loads.</span> However, the <span style="font-style: italic">shooter</span> is <span style="font-weight: bold">NOT</span> sub-1/2 MOA consistant. In the right hands, this rifle is a real tack driver. All shot groups had a minimum of three (out of five) impacts touching.

Lessons Learned:

Barrel mirage was the overwhelming factor in expanding group size. I simply picked the wrong aiming point when the mirage gave me multiple targets to choose from. "Fliers" were nothing more than the shooter picking the wrong target as presented through the barrel mirage. The obvious need for a mirage band in cold weather and the possibility of adding a compensator is pointing me in the direction of Roedale Precision Mirage band and a C20 type muzzle brake with an integrated M3 Mirage Band mounting screw. Does anyone retail these in the states?

( http://www.webshop.roedale.de/product_info.php?info=p250_Muzzle-Break-C20.html ).
( http://www.webshop.roedale.de/product_info.php?info=p258_Mirage-Band.html ).

The Hornady .308 168 grain AMAX ammunition shot every bit as good as the very precise hand loaded ammunition I personally loaded using Sierra MatchKing bullets, Varget powder and virgin Nosler brass. The quality of this Hornady Match .308 ammo gives me a lot to consider regarding how much money is spent on reloading equipment and brass, bullets, powder (Varget) and Match primers. Not to mention having to chase down all these components as well. That's a lot of time and money that can be saved. Not to mention being able to spend more time actually shooting and not having to dick around spending my free time reloading.

The Bell and Carlson stock is much lighter in the back than I'd like. I need to fill the stock with either lead or use mercury recoil reducers to add weight to the rear end. Any suggestions? Does the recoil pad on a B&C stock require being cut off to add weight into the rear of the stock? What is the recommended removal / re-attachment procedure? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Rifle pics coming soon.

I'd like to thank KK Jense of Jense precision for his excellent workmenship and being such a good sport for being talked into this build. KK, your bruised knee was worth it, <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">to me at least!</span></span>
laugh.gif

I'd also like to thank the excellent sources of background information on the web. Septic-tank 13's post on the AR15 forum.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=5&t=237225

Peter Lincoln's excellent source for Howa 1500 gunsmithing information. This post and many others like it.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...2457#Post862457

Re: Weatherby on-the-cheap Short Tactical Rifle

I know Mickey Coleman, a well-known benchrest gunsmith, really likes the Howa actions. I've considered a build on one a number of times. They're also known for excellent feeding, and don't exhibit some of the issues some Remmy actions are known for when using Ackley Improved cartridges.

Mickey doesn't true the Howa actions. According to hime there is generally no need for such machining on the Howas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darrenk75b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know Mickey Coleman, a well-known benchrest gunsmith, really likes the Howa actions. I've considered a build on one a number of times. They're also known for excellent feeding, and don't exhibit some of the issues some Remmy actions are known for when using Ackley Improved cartridges.

Mickey doesn't true the Howa actions. According to hime there is generally no need for such machining on the Howas. </div></div>

Mickey Coleman? Haven't had the pleasure of dealing with him yet. Does he have a website? Contact information available?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tribe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow.... let's see them pics!
wink.gif
</div></div>

as requested

The People's Exhibit #1: The Weatherby Vanguard .308 Winchester.

reloading3-600x450.jpg

The People's Exhibit #2: The Reloading Bench.

reloading4-406x600.jpg

Ranger,

Very interesting post. I started down the same road as you, and bought a Howa .308win in the cheap and nasty Hogue stock. I was fully intending to do a similar build to yourself, but even that wouldb e cheap here in the UK, where gunsmiths probably charge twice to three times for some things as I see quoted here.

However things took a different route after I shot the rifle. Three round groups with my home loads or Lapua 154grn factory honestly average somewhere between 1/2" and 3/4" groups at 100m.

I had issues with the stock intially, but I have solved them by opening the barrel chanel up to give more clearance for the barrel, and filling the area in the hollow fore arm to stiffen it up...I also bedded the first 1 1/2" of the barrel.

Given that my lack of shooting skills was now the limiting factor, I decided to leave the rifle as it wass, and instead invest my money on decent glass. I figure as (if) I progress and my shooting gets a bit more refined, I can look at upgrading the barrel and the stock in the future..For now, I have an excellent hunting rifle and a good long range plinker...

Regards,

Peter

So was there enough meat in the reciever to open the threads to a standard thread? Just wondering if this would be a much cheaper alternative to using a Surgeon action for a switch barrel?

Looks sweet!!

Weatherby Vanguard Cons:

<span style="font-style: italic">1. Metric Action threads. Non-typical for my gunsmith of choice, but that is what friends and friends of gunsmiths are for.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Depends on your lathe. Took me 2 mins to change the 2 change wheels on my Weiler, to go from imperial to metric this morning,usualy takes 30 seconds,. but i dropped one of the C clips and it went behind and under that lather, so i had to do the Armourers Crawl to retrieve it. Takes another 10 seconds to swap tool holders from my dedicated, Imperial to Metric thread cutting tools. Its far easier to cut the barrel in M26x1.5 than it is to alter the action, </span>

<span style="font-style: italic">2. Single source for 1 piece Picatinny rail; Howa has an exclusive contract to retail EGW bases for these actions.
( http://www.legacysports.com/products/misc/misc_egw.html ). Is there another source out there?</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Yes we make some in Alloy and Steel in 20MOA</span>

<span style="font-style: italic">3. Stock was junk and is listed in the catagory of "in the garbage immediately" bad.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">that can be said for 90% of all cheap factory rifles (and some of the more expensive ones too)</span>

<span style="font-style: italic">4. Limited after market match quality firing pin systems. I'm still in search of one if anyone knows of a source.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">We are working on a replacement fluted f pin and 3 position bolt mounted safety, its not top priority, but it will happen.</span>

<span style="font-style: italic">5. Standard sporter "noodle" barrel was much thinner and lighter than I personally desired.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">you could have bought the Howa Varmint. as a barreled action and saved some money. in a good stock and with a trigger tune you'd with almost 100% probablility have gotten 1/2 MOA out of the standard barrel</span>

<span style="font-style: italic">6. Barrel removal requires to have a stress relieving cut just in front of the action to remove the tension from the action face. Locking the barrel in a vise and using an action wrench to twist off the action is not a procedure I'll ever duplicate again. See Peter Lincoln's excellent posts for details of the remedy to this problem. ( http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...2457#Post862457 ). </span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Thats certainly the easiest way, the blued versions are a bit of a sod to separate, the stainless versions come apart without
the relief cut if you realy must do it that way. Its just faster to put the thing in the lathe, do the relief cut and remove the action, than it is to screw it down in the heavy duty barrel press and action wrench. </span>

I'm glad that some of my info was usefull to you, congrats on a handy, reliable, accurate and cheap semi custom rifle.
I'm sure it will serve you well for many years to come..

Howa as a switch barrel is very simple and compatible. both my .260 rem hunting rifle and my 9.3RSM built on Howa's are switch barrel.
I made a wrench that works like the AI action wrench, and an alloy barrel clamp that mounts on a table or in a vice and off you go.
Great Little actions these things are.
Take a look at the Nosler model 48..its near as damn 98% Howa ( if its not actualy made by Howa) Ive heared its made in the US, but i'm not convinced.
regards Pete

Very nice write up. Thanks for the info as well. This is definately helpful, I am looking into getting a Howafor a build. But it sounds like some can be real good shooters out of the box

I was under the impression that Howa 1500 took any scope base meant for the Remington 700 action of the same length.

Am I wrong?

Zombie thread...
I don't know if anything's changed with the Howa in the last 1-1/2 years, just sayin' in case you missed the date of the original post...