• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Weatherby vanguard 2 opinions

B3dlam

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2012
Kodiak, AK
Alright after humping my 23+ lb precision rifle through over 9 miles of Alaskan terrain I decided it was finally time to invest in a hunting rifle that won't break my back.

Right now I am seriously looking at the weatherby vanguard series 2 in 7mm rem mag. I should be able to get this rifle with scope to maybe 8-8.5 lbs. Just curious for some feedback from guys who own one of these rifles (doesn't have to be in this caliber just the model).

Sent from my iPad autocorrect at your own risk.

I feel your pain but a long time ago humping a heavy rifle in Alaska.

It is still on the heavy side but it is a fine rifle built by Howa. They are all sub moa now. I toted a Wby MarkV light weight hunter in 340Wby for decades at around 8lbs complete rig and have used several Wbys in various calibers, Wby and standard so I still have love for Wby but I prefer the MarkV action and Wby calibers if I am going Wby. The off the shelf cost is on par with the rest and can be found for less.

But now its Tikka T3 SS or even the SL to shave a few more ounces. To me it is the best bang for the buck off the shelf Alaskan rifle.

I know, no input on your caliber but I had better performance, both flight time and wound channel out of my 7mag than I did with 300mag. BD and SD is mo better. All Nosler Partitions.

I have the Howa 1500, which is essentially the same rifle, and it's a shooter right from the box. I think these are made in Japan. I wouldn't say these are anything super special, just well made and good performers. If you find a smith who knows these they can tune them to be excellent.

I feel your pain but a long time ago humping a heavy rifle in Alaska.

It is still on the heavy side but it is a fine rifle built by Howa. They are all sub moa now. I toted a Wby MarkV light weight hunter in 340Wby for decades at around 8lbs complete rig and have used several Wbys in various calibers, Wby and standard so I still have love for Wby but I prefer the MarkV action and Wby calibers if I am going Wby. The off the shelf cost is on par with the rest and can be found for less.

But now its Tikka T3 SS or even the SL to shave a few more ounces. To me it is the best bang for the buck off the shelf Alaskan rifle.

I know, no input on your caliber but I had better performance, both flight time and wound channel out of my 7mag than I did with 300mag. BD and SD is mo better. All Nosler Partitions.

Sounds good I may look at the mark v as well.

I don't mind input on the caliber I know it's a solid competitor. The reason I was looked at that route vs one of the weatherby caliber or something like one of the ultra mags was that 7mm rem mag is so readily available everywhere in the event my baggage was lost after a flight or something.

Sent from my iPad autocorrect at your own risk.

I have one in 257WBY Mag, that I picked up because my elk rifle was devastating White Tail Deer when I started hunting them. The Elk gun did fine on Mule deer, but I lost too much meat with it on Whitetail. The Vanguard 2 is a big improvement over the original Vanguard.

The trigger is adjustable, and has a superb break out of the factory. The rifle is a good reasonable light weight, and plenty accurate for hunting. I don't like the ultra-lights in the Magnum calibers, as the jump and recoil added by the ultra-light rifle doesn't offset the slight reduction in carry weight for me. Mine was just a hair under 1MOA for me from the factory. In-letting the stock a little got it to about 3/4MOA for me.

The Mark V are absolutely great rifles, but now you are talking about a $1000-$1400 rifle compared to a $500-$600 rifle.

Regarding cartridge choice. I love the WBY calibers for hunting, super hot and generally flatter trajectory than competing chamberings in that same projectile caliber. I generally prefer kentucky windage and hold-over to tactical scopes when I hunt, and leave my tactical scopes on my precision range toys and competition rigs, so a flatter trajectory means less worry about drop compensation. That said, the price per cartridge if you want to shoot factory loaded ammo can be, and often is double or more that of a competing round with the same projectile. On the plus side, all factory Weatherby Branded Ammo uses really nice Norma Precision brass. So buy it once and cry a little, then have some top quality brass left over.

Last edited:
Well I ordered the Vanguard Series 2 yesterday picked up a few boxes of ammo and a scope mount. Scope to come so hopefully it should be ready head to the range the day it gets here.

I had one in 7mm08 sent to me to test..
Got the "Hog Reaper" which has a 20" barrel
It's for my son to use..
less than 12 rounds down the pipe:
Barnes-7mm08-120g-TTSX-group-as-fired-from-Weatherby-Vangaurd-Mark-2-with-Trijicon-Accupoint-3-9-mildot-greendot.jpg

Weatherby-Hog-Reaper-7mm08-right.jpg

Just got my 7mag in Weatherby Vanguard S2. Mounted it up with a Vortex Viper 4-16X44 HS Long Range and Tally Mounts. Also had the best muzzle break in the West made for it along with a hunting cap. I only use the Muzzle break while bench rest or long days at range (desert). Cap is for hunting days. Gun Smith re-crowned the barrel to 11 degrees, Muzzle break is exhausted at 7 degrees. I shot yesterday for the first time at 100yd and 200yd targets. after finding paper and adjusting as necessary, in 15-20 mph wind I shot 2 groups inside 1 inch at 100yd. I then shot 3 groups at 200yds.
1st group 2 shots in 1/2 inch and 1 flyer about 2 inches away. Probably me or the wind. Berger 168 grain made by HSM. Muzzle break on.
2nd group 2 shots in 1/2 in and another 3 inch flyer. Same HSM trophy factory rounds with Berger 168 gr.
Round 3, had 3 shots inside 1 inch, Barnes 150 grain tipped TSX BT. Hunting Cap on.
The last group had about 3 inches higher point of impact also.

With a little work and some practice I should have this dialed in at 200yd with 1/2 inch groups consistent. PS The trigger is quite good out of the box. Even the gunsmith agreed to leave it alone. felt like 2.5 -3 pounds, no creep, good take up and crisp snap. Decelerator pad on stock is darn good also.