• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weatherby Vanguard?

DaveV

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
_
My precision stick is an AR30 .339LM but I am looking to move toward something that costs less money to shoot and will be friendlier for class use. I have a Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm Rem. Mag. Is this gun worth putting some money into or should I hold out for a 700?

Re: Weatherby Vanguard?

It all depends on your intentions with the gun, Target/Tactical/hunting. I would hold out and get a Remington 700 maybe in .308. It'll be easier on your wallet to shoot as well as being better in the long run than spending a bunch on the vanguard. The Wby is a good gun, but resale will be better on the 700 as well as it's much easier buying after market accessories for. JMO

It's already dressed up for hunting now. I am looking at tactical paper killing. I know the light barrel will be the weak point and I'm not sure that loading 7mag will be as economical as .308. But it is the "bird in hand."

7mm has some of the best bullets for long range shooting. Hard to beat, great BC's, similar recoil, and higher velocity! All things considered they are very similar in cost to shoot. I have a Rem 700 in 7mm rmag, my dad has a Vanguard 7mm rmag and its a solid rifle. I glass bedded it, lightened the trigger and lapped the barrel. The rifle shoots great with 162 Hrn, .75- 1 Moa to 400 yds. We sight them in at 300 yds, which is +1.5 @100yds, +2.5 200yds, 0-300yds, -9 @400yds, -19 @500yds. Thats easy to shoot!!!!!!!!

The Vanguard (Howa) is an excellent action. As suggested, bed it, lap the barrel, adjust the trigger, go shoot. The rifle will decide this for you.

It sounds like investing in this rifle might pan out. What options are available with this system? Stocks, action mods, etc.

Stocks.. McMillan,Manners,Bell&Carson,Roedale, probably more...but these I know for sure.

Action.. Jewel or Timney triggers, custom bolt knobs.
The action itself is great has a HUGE built in recoil lug.

Takes a 700 1 piece scope rail so choices are huge.

Thanks Bullet. Ignorant question, but, what about bottom metal? Will this action take AI mags or is that a no go?

CDI Precision makes short action bottom metal for the AI mags. Roedale is soon to have long action models. The receiver has to have the rear of the magwell milled flat for the 338LA, see arrow. If your 7mm will fit AI 300wm mags the receiver may not require modification. Pete at Roedale will know for sure.

http://www.roedaleprecision.com/

Howa338boltfacesm-1.jpg

Dave, I have a Howa 1500 (same as Vanguard) in 270 Win. I bedded it, gave it a trigger job, and it shoots awesome. It printed .4", 5 shot groups with my handloads. It has shot well out to 800 yards. With the thinner barrel and a magnum caliber, you won't be able to shoot it fast because of the heat build-up. But use what you have, it will work. Get a 162 A-max or Berger 168 or 180 VLD, and work up a good load for it. The A-max would be a great hunting bullet, too, and they are inexpensive. If you have the room to seat the bullet long (which you should), the VLD's would work well.

Thanks Chad. What are your thoughts on going tactical stock?

McMillan A-5 or Manners T-4 or Roedale version of AICS
Bell & Carson if your budget is tight.

Do I approach the stock as a Howa 1500 or are there distinctions?

Howa/vanguard are functionally the same minus a few visual differences. I have 2 customs built on Howas and they are both extremely accurate and reliable.

So if I get an A5 set up for Howa 1500 and take it to my smith, I won't have any "coulda, woulda, shoulda's?"

As long as the stock is inletted for the Howa 1500/Vanguard long action, you'll be fine. The stock brand is your choice. I do like the Manners stocks, though. Bed the action in it, and you'll be good to go. I don't know of any DBM bottom metal for the long actions. I've heard several say they will make it.

CDI is working on bottom metal for the long action, as is Pete Lincoln. I just finished a build on the Howa long action, and my smith was very impressed with how true the action was in its stock configuation. As Pete Lincoln will reiterate, the factory trigger produces a very nice tuned trigger if done by someone competent. The only real problem anyone has with the Howa 1500 is taking the damn barrel off. Randy, (my smith) ended up just cutting the factory barrel off at the action to relieve the stress. As has been stated, the long action rem700 bases will work with the Howa long action, but should probably be bedded as they technically are not exactly the same. I went with a Near precision 20moa base which was specifically for the Howa, but after hearing about all the people running the Rem bases, I would likely go that route if I was doing it over again to save a few buck.

The Badger Remy long rail fit my Howa long action very good even with the lug.

Thomas Manners is going to run a groupbuy soon on the new T3A, if you like this style.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cheech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about this? Fits the howa 1500 action.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?h...IwBQ#ps-sellers </div></div>

Not sure how I feel about that stock, but thanks for the link. It kinda reminds me of a Choate for an SKS.

What about barrels for this gun? i have the same gun and would like to upgrade my barrel. Thanks

I was given a vanguard and did a budget build. AKA a DYI trigger job and bedded it in a boyds stock. With 165 federal fusion or handloads it is under a 1 MOA. I love mine.

So what about a Barrel for this gun, id really like some kind of bull barrel or a better barrel than the stock one. Thanks!

I will go Barlein when the time comes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scarface02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what about a Barrel for this gun, id really like some kind of bull barrel or a better barrel than the stock one. Thanks! </div></div>

If you are saying you want a heavy barrel, you can get them that way from the factory. I just saw a few at sportsmans warehouse.

If you are asking if you can have a new barrel put on. Yes, if you find a gunsmith that will do it.

If you are asking what kind of barrel... Not gonna touch that one.

So is everyone just using there stock barrels? i see barrels with muzzle breaks etcc...and just want to see about changing mine

Changing it for what? Is it shot out or are you looking for a caliber change or just contour? According to Pete Roedale the stock barrels on the Howa are pretty good,and this man knows what he is talking about. YES you can change barrels but shoot the shit out of the one you got before throwing it away.

Mark at Short Action Customs just finished up my Howa. Bolt knob conversion, Fat Bastard Brake, lapped the lugs, skim bedded the stock, Cerakote in mil spec green.

B&C stock. Timney trigger. EGW base and TSR rings. Mk4 5.5x14x40.

I started load development today.

I couldnt be happier with the gun and the work Mark did. The gun looks and functions great.

Mark does great work in a very timely manner. He was even patient with all my stupid questions.

avd

DSC_0127.jpg
DSC_0137.jpg