• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Weatherby Vanguard

SCC-ELMT

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2009
Almost Idaho, USA
I'm looking for expert advice regarding Weatherby Vanguard actions.

1. How good are these actions straight off the shelf compared to Remington 700 actions straight off the shelf?

2. Does Badger M5 bottom metal work with the Weatherby Vanguard action?

3. Does anyone inside the US do custom barrel chambering and installs on Weatherby Vanguard actions?

4. Does anyone know the contour name of the Remington LTR contour? Does any custom barrel maker duplicate the LTR style fluting? If not, what about doing that wide flute style in 4 flutes instead of 3 flutes?

5. What is the recommended trigger upgrade for tactical type shooting with the Weatherby Vanguard?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Weatherby Vanguard

I have a weatherby vanguard in .223 and it shoots easily under 1 inch groups with my varmint grenade handloads at 100 yards. Was impressed with the rifle since there was nothing done to it except adding a nikon 4x12x30 scope. It also shot as good with factory ammo (federal from walmarts 100 round value packs.)

I wonder how much better it would have been to buy one of their submoa guns. From everything i've read off of the internet they are the same as the howa 1500 as chpprguy said but that's the internet for you.

1. How good are these actions straight off the shelf compared to Remington 700 actions straight off the shelf?.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Better Extractor,integral recoil lug, 1 piece bolt and handle, simple to field strip the firing pin unit and better quality and machine tollerances.</span>

2. Does Badger M5 bottom metal work with the Weatherby Vanguard action?
<span style="font-weight: bold">
It can be made to work, Ive built rifles using both the Long and short action Badger DBM, and that includes a number of .338 lapuas.CDI has a DBM system for the short action and so do we, we are also working on 2 versions of a long action DBM, one for hunting type rifles and one for tactical rifles, Weatherby have also a factoiry DBM for the long action, but i dont know how good it is</span>

3. Does anyone inside the US do custom barrel chambering and installs on Weatherby Vanguard actions?
T<span style="font-weight: bold">hat should be a go for any custom rifle builder, there is no difference in machining a barrel for a remington or for a vanguard exept that the thread on a remingtom is an imperial 16TPI and the vanguard is metric x1.5. It takes literaly 25 seconds to swap the changeweels and or switch the gear levers on a lathe to swap from the one thread to another ( i actualy timed that by the way, it takes 25 seconds on my weiler condor)</span>

4. Does anyone know the contour name of the Remington LTR contour? Does any custom barrel maker duplicate the LTR style fluting? If not, what about doing that wide flute style in 4 flutes instead of 3 flutes?
<span style="font-weight: bold">A host of different fluting options are available form most barrel manufacturers</span>

5. What is the recommended trigger upgrade for tactical type shooting with the Weatherby Vanguard?

<span style="font-weight: bold">Tune the trigger, they are absolutely more than adequate for a tactical rifle, no need at all to swap to an after market trigger</span>

Regards Pete

IN the US try Kevin Cram at mountour county rifles he is doing mine. The HOWA action is superior to rem !!!

The DBM from Weatherby is a polymer rig and the triggers on the Vanguards are Timney IIRC.