• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WeatherFlow WEATHERmeter for Precision Shooting

skidhc

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2018
Newnan, GA
I am looking at using the WeatherFlow WEATHERmeter (the one the uses Bluetooth to connect to your phone) for PRS but can't tell what comes with it or what all I might need in addition. I have never seen one in person but it looks like there are some sort of adapters or something in the package but not sure exactly what. Is it designed to be mounted to something or just carried in a pocket and used periodically to update your ballistics app as conditions change throughout the day?

Thanks,
Stephen Culpepper

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
I'm looking to pick one up soon. It is made to be used with ballistic apps on your phone. You should just be able to buy the unit and have it bluetooth to your phone. I'm sure you could find something to mount it to if you wanted but seems like it would mainly be a hand held unit.

I have one.

it comes with a lanyard, and two little adapters so you could "set in" in the headphone jack of your phone or screw it to a tripod base I think is what the other one is for. they are just little plastic/metal adapters, they don't do anything critical for the function.

it all works via bluetooth. so all you need is the app and the device and you are good to go. (i use Ballistic Arc)

I've seen guys carry it around their neck at matches. i loop the lanyard to my pack and set it down in one of the pockets to keep it out of the direct sunlight/heat.

Thanks - that was my initial impression but the accessories in the package (that I can't tell exactly what are) made me wonder?

Reactions: Olen_4504
I have one.

it comes with a lanyard, and two little adapters so you could "set in" in the headphone jack of your phone or screw it to a tripod base I think is what the other one is for. they are just little plastic/metal adapters, they don't do anything critical for the function.

it all works via bluetooth. so all you need is the app and the device and you are good to go. (i use Ballistic Arc)

I've seen guys carry it around their neck at matches. i loop the lanyard to my back and set it down in one of the pockets to keep it out of the direct sunlight/heat.

Would you consider it a good buy? Looking to use it with Strelok Pro.

Thanks - that was my initial impression but the accessories in the package (that I can't tell exactly what are) made me wonder?

yup. i don't use them. just the lanyard.

get it! you won't regret it. I know the kestrels are sweet, but this does everything i need it to do for way way way cheaper.

I have one.

I've seen guys carry it around their neck at matches. i loop the lanyard to my pack and set it down in one of the pockets to keep it out of the direct sunlight/heat.

Gotcha! Makes sense now. Thanks for the info. Just out of curiousity, have you done any comparisons between the data from the WeatherFlow/BallisticARC vs. Kestrel Elite 5700? There is a huge price difference and I am just getting started so pretty much need everything so would rather use the less expensive approach and spend the rest of the money elsewhere if it makes sense but if it is one of those things where I will eventually want a Kestrel anyway, I would rather just save up and cry once!

Gotcha! Makes sense now. Thanks for the info. Just out of curiousity, have you done any comparisons between the data from the WeatherFlow/BallisticARC vs. Kestrel Elite 5700? There is a huge price difference and I am just getting started so pretty much need everything so would rather use the less expensive approach and spend the rest of the money elsewhere if it makes sense but if it is one of those things where I will eventually want a Kestrel anyway, I would rather just save up and cry once!

a guy I regularly shoot with has a kestrel. we've compared outputs for same loads/bullets/etc and they are very very close.

my Density Altitude is usually different by a few hundred feet from his kestrel. but nothing significant to output huge variations

my weather meter/app combo has worked flawlessly at 4 matches. out to 1135 yards

just make sure you read into how to orient the phone/app and set your shot angle, wind angle, etc and use the information from the meter accordingly. it's really simple once you figure it out.

i don't see myself upgraded to a kestrel any time soon. for $80 device and $15 app this works great for what I use it for.

I use the weather flow too. You dont have to use it with ballisticsarc, I do, but you can use it with just the normal weatherflow app and input them manually into any app you want.

Ive cant see how anyone can justify spending money on a kestrel when this can get the job done for 25% of the price.

It you get the weather meter or not, it is worth trying the BalisticARC app.

The very best feature and worth every penny are the Range cards. They really need to spend some time on their website to showcase this almost hidden feature..

If you get the match book before match you can pre-set the entire match and either print out hard copies and use those or update the stages with live data at each stage. SUPER FAST AND EASY.

Each target can have it's own wind, LOS and Azimuth Entered (I just zero it all out and set everything to 0/360 with a 6mph FV wind). Yu can simply update the conditions and all range cards will change or change the caliber/gun and all will be updated.

Here are examples of the Range Features..

Range card Example:
Unknown-3.png

This above station/s can be exported to Excel, Photo in two formats or as as CSV. I use the Excel to make stage cards for my arm-board
Unknown-14.jpeg

How to add targets: It is very fast and if you want, all with unique AOF ,LOS, Azimuth, Location - Wind value from your "WEATHER" section will effect each saved targets uniquely if you set them once you fire up your Weather meter Kestrel or Weather Flow, Hand entering weather works too . (I set target to 0/360° and wind to 90° and do wind in my head)
Unknown-1.png

Here is how you switch between stages simple and fast..

Unknown-2.png

Environmental / Weather Data can be hand entered, Pulled form your Phone or via the Kestrel or Weather Flow ..
Unknown-4.png

Example of Kestrel or weather Flow Screen..
Unknown-5.png

Is there any way to get the app without a Google account?

The very best feature and worth every penny are the Range cards. They really need to spend some time on their website to showcase this almost hidden feature..

If you get the match book before match you can pre-set the entire match and either print out hard copies and use those or update the stages with live data at each stage. SUPER FAST AND EASY.

Each target can have it's own wind, LOS and Azimuth Entered (I just zero it all out and set everything to 0/360 with a 6mph FV wind). Yu can simply update the conditions and all range cards will change or change the caliber/gun and all will be updated.

Agreed, Im usually not much of a match shooter so I had never messed with it but I took part in a 1 day prs match 2 weekends ago and it was super neat. Plugged in the yardages after I checked in and got the phamplet and then when I got to a stage I just updated the direction of fire and was good to go.

Is there any way to get the app without a Google account?
Is there a way to download any app without an account? I have an iphone so you need an apple account to access anything so its exactly like downloading anything else. I assume that if you have a droid/google thing that you would have a similar situation?

Is there a way to download any app without an account? I have an iphone so you need an apple account to access anything so its exactly like downloading anything else. I assume that if you have a droid/google thing that you would have a similar situation?
My own question made me think and I did a quick search for the answer. I have an Android phone so that's what I looked for and there are several sources and methods to download apps that do not include having a Google account. I do need to do a lot more reading into it because I have never downloaded any app from anywhere yet. I use my phone mostly for communications and occasionally as a map/web browser.

I don't know how or if that applies to Iphones because I don't have one nor plan to have one.

My own question made me think and I did a quick search for the answer. I have an Android phone so that's what I looked for and there are several sources and methods to download apps that do not include having a Google account. I do need to do a lot more reading into it because I have never downloaded any app from anywhere yet. I use my phone mostly for communications and occasionally as a map/web browser.

I don't know how or if that applies to Iphones because I don't have one nor plan to have one.

no need for a google account to download ballistic arc on iphone (assuming you were talking about ballistic arc app)

Reactions: JRtwo

Based on this it looks like to download on android you need to go through google play, which I assume is like the apple app store in that it requires an ID.
https://geoballistics.com/product/ballisticsarc-app/
1540935278264.png

Yes - I agree! I have been using the Shooter app, which is also compatible with the WeatherMeter but someone showed me the range card feature in BallisticARC at a match this weekend and I downloaded the app as soon as I got home. The range card is a fantastic feature!

I used one for awhile and it worked fine at home but when I tried it at a match it’s a pain getting it to sync with your phone as it’s hard to see the light on the unit that shows it’s connected. Spent too much time messing with it and sold it. I’ve since gone to a Kestrel 5700 and they are worth every penny.

I had a kestrel 5000 series sportsman (without link) and I sold it after I tried the geoballistics arc unit and weathermeter. I’ve tried ABMobile, Trasol, Strelok, Hornady 4DOF, and a couple others apps on my iphone. I always come back to the geoballistics app and that’s what I stick with now. I’ve shot just local and fun matches and a few matches with the border wars rifle series and it’s always worked really well for me. I have the weatherflow meter on some 550 cord and hang it from my tripod or off my gear somewhere to try to keep it in the ambient air temp. I have the auto features turned off on the app for direction and angle and such. I prefer the geoballistics app simply because of the price point and features it offers. I like that you can create an online account and sync rifle profiles and that there’s no limit to the profiles you can build with the paid version (or if there is I haven‘t reached it). Also, on their website there is a contact us tab to request bullets be added to the library and I sent a request in and within 24 hours had a response and library was updated... that’s pretty awesome support. The weatherflow meter works with a few other apps but I think the interface and usability of the geoballistics arc app are top notch. Can’t go wrong with getting either one.