• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Weaver 3-10x or SS 3-9x?

Austincqc

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2010
TX, USA
Hey all,

I'm looking at a mil/mil scope to put on top of my .308 hunting rifle. With money being tight, I want to keep costs as low as possible.

Who has looked through both scopes?

How does the glass compare between the two for low light conditions?

Eye box?

Re: Weaver 3-10x or SS 3-9x?

I've not been within 100 yards of the Weaver, but I have no complaints with the 3-9 SS!

The SS is much more expensive, it’s going to be a lot better scope. Also it has a 30mm tube. If you can live with 3-9 then it’s the way to go.

The 3-9x is the better scope, but at twice the cost is it twice as good? Hard to say. I have a couple of the Weaver 3-10's and enjoy them a lot. Both track true and return to zero, glass isn't bad either considering the price.

I've never seen the SS but I do own the Weaver. Its is a very good scope for the money and I don't think you will be disappointed. I've used it out to 500 yards and like the others it tracks true. Hope this helps.

No comparison between the two scopes. The SS is MUCH, MUCH better. Furthermore with the new reticle being available in the SS in the near future, IMO it makes the SS a no brainer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No comparison between the two scopes. The SS is MUCH, MUCH better. Furthermore with the new reticle being available in the SS in the near future, IMO it makes the SS a no brainer. </div></div>

I must agree with this argument.

They are both great scopes. There is a great deal in the group buy for the ss3-9 (SH). I have the weaver on a 22 trainer (1022). It works great. Weaver $300 on sale but the ss3-9 has a new reticle, FFP and swfa is adding alot of stuff with the group buy.

John

I have owned them both. I still have the Weaver - but it is just istting in the box right now. My opinion was the SS is a better scope. But then it costs twice as much. I was also impressed with the Weaver for the price. Yes, it has less features, but it is pretty good glass and Mi/mil for 1/2 the price of the SS. My opninion is that the value per $ spent is about the same. If you spend more on the SS, you get more. If you can afford the SS I would be looking at their new reticle. If you don't have the money to go SS, Weaver is a great scope for $300 - just remmeber that at the end of the day it is a $300 scope. Bottom line - head to head SS is a better scope, but value per dollar is neck and neck.

Casey

The SS 3x9 with the new Mil-Quad reticle is available now. Mine is on the UPS truck and will be here Monday the 27th.

I had a chance to put pretty much anything under $1000 on my hunting rifle and went with the SS 3x9. I was worried the 30mm tube would be to big on the Tikka T3 but it handles fine and had no problems with it. The low light resolution was noticably better than the Sightron Big Sky it replaced.

If you dont have to have the new reticle Im sure you can pick them up in the classifieds for about $425-450.

I'm trying to stay away from fine plex reticles. I have one now on my Bushnell 3200 Elite 3-9x. When I take it to the range and shoot out to 500 I want to be able to read where it's hitting if I miss. Right now I guestimate.

I also stalk hunt. Fine plex reticles suck when you come up on a buck that's at 190 yards and you're sighted in at 100. Peel off the gloves, spiral off the cap, put the cap in my pocket, turn my elevation 8 clicks, etc...It would be much easier to just read the reticle or reach up and twist.

that group buy is looking mighty tasty on the 3-9x...

I appreciate the input guys. This will be a tough decision...

Last spring I was glassing a meadow checking out the low light performance of a couple of scopes at 4:30 am, well before sunup. I spotted a doe and fawn with one scope and then put the SS 3-42X42 on them and saw that it was a cow and calf elk. At 3X the bolder outer crosshairs "grow" towards the center and are very visable in low light. I could have made that shot. I was very impressed with the SS 3-9 and own two of them. Can't speak for that particular Weaver.

I have a Weaver 10x42HD and a 3-10 Weaver. The Weaver isn't bad at all side by side but there are differences. I'm looking to sell the Weaver so let me know via PM and we can discuss further.

I own both of these scopes. My Weaver 3x10 is on a Savage 7mm hunting rifle and my SS 3x9 is on my .308 AR (which is soon being replaced by the 5-20SS I ordered!!!!). I like both scopes very much, but it is hard for me to argue that the SS is twice as good as the Weaver considering you will be using this for hunting.

Observations about both
-The Weaver is very bright and clear for a 1 inch tube. I haven’t had both guns out at low light to compare side by side, but I would say that the Weaver is pretty close to the SS
-Both are well built, the knobs on the SS are nicer and you can tell that they are a little tougher.
-For a hunting rifle, the smaller size and less weight of the Weaver is big plus for me. I had my SS 3x9 on a .308 hunting rifle for one hunt where I did lots and lots of hiking. I found that they SS was irritatingly big and the adjustment knobs stuck out too far. It isn’t anything I couldn’t get used too, but it is something I noticed.
-The reticule on the Weaver is really bright and for some reason I like it more than the SS.
-3x10 magnification is a little better, probably wouldn’t notice the difference though.
-I picked my Weaver up for $300 bucks from Midway last year when they were $100 off, I am not sure if they are still that cheap.
-I really like both scopes, but the Weaver is the best little hunting scope I have ever had, and I wish I picked up more than one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azeyecap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own both of these scopes. My Weaver 3x10 is on a Savage 7mm hunting rifle and my SS 3x9 is on my .308 AR (which is soon being replaced by the 5-20SS I ordered!!!!). I like both scopes very much, but it is hard for me to argue that the SS is twice as good as the Weaver considering you will be using this for hunting.

Observations about both
-The Weaver is very bright and clear for a 1 inch tube. I haven’t had both guns out at low light to compare side by side, but I would say that the Weaver is pretty close to the SS
-Both are well built, the knobs on the SS are nicer and you can tell that they are a little tougher.
-For a hunting rifle, the smaller size and less weight of the Weaver is big plus for me. I had my SS 3x9 on a .308 hunting rifle for one hunt where I did lots and lots of hiking. I found that they SS was irritatingly big and the adjustment knobs stuck out too far. It isn’t anything I couldn’t get used too, but it is something I noticed.
-The reticule on the Weaver is really bright and for some reason I like it more than the SS.
-3x10 magnification is a little better, probably wouldn’t notice the difference though.
-I picked my Weaver up for $300 bucks from Midway last year when they were $100 off, I am not sure if they are still that cheap.
-I really like both scopes, but the Weaver is the best little hunting scope I have ever had, and I wish I picked up more than one.
</div></div>

Tube size has no effect on light transmission. Glass quality and objective size do.

RFutch,

You might want to check Natchez Shooters Supply for Weaver Grand Slam or Super Slam prices. Just took a look at 3-10s and 2-10s. There are one or two of Grand Slams under $300, but you'd better take a look at prices on the Super Slams, 2-10x42 Super Slams for $270 and there is also a $50 rebate on it to reduce final price more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RFutch,

You might want to check Natchez Shooters Supply for Weaver Grand Slam or Super Slam prices. Just took a look at 3-10s and 2-10s. There are one or two of Grand Slams under $300, but you'd better take a look at prices on the Super Slams, 2-10x42 Super Slams for $270 and there is also a $50 rebate on it to reduce final price more.</div></div>

He's referring to the grand slam tactical 3-10 mil/mil it a midway USA exclusive.

Having not used the weaver i cannot comment on which is better, but I can chime in like others here and mention that I do enjoy my 3-9SS very much. If money is tight I would suggest looking to get one from the used optic forum here, I have seen several go for very good deals.

Pat

No experience with that particular Weaver, but the SS 3-9 is awesome. I used it on two different rifles at 200 yards (longest range I could get to in Indiana) and resolution was head and shoulders above the other scopes on the line. It may be a little heavy for hunting, but it sure seems to be durable. One of mine will be going on a lightweight .308 "utility" rifle.

I buy stuff to keep them. I know a lot of guys will buy a scope and sell it months later for something else. I like that they both have great warranties. It is hard to justify the 2x price point though.

I hate decisions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JAAM12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are both great scopes. There is a great deal in the group buy for the ss3-9 (SH). I have the weaver on a 22 trainer (1022). It works great. Weaver $300 on sale but the ss3-9 has a new reticle, FFP and swfa is adding alot of stuff with the group buy.

John</div></div> I believe this is for the older reticle. right??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AustinCQC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JAAM12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are both great scopes. There is a great deal in the group buy for the ss3-9 (SH). I have the weaver on a 22 trainer (1022). It works great. Weaver $300 on sale but the ss3-9 has a new reticle, FFP and swfa is adding alot of stuff with the group buy.

John</div></div> I believe this is for the older reticle. right??
</div></div>

Correct, the GB setup in Kit6 is for the mil-dot reticle only.

That's what I thought - thanks for clearing that up for me!
smile.gif