• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Weaver 5-20x50 FFP as an upgrade from a SS 3-9x42?

spamassassian

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2012
New Mexico, USA
I've been super happy with the quality of the SS 3-9 FFP mil/mil scope. However, I've been shooting out past 200 Yds more often lately, and intend to do even more coming up in the future. The 9x max of the SS seems to be somewhat of a limiting factor. I've been looking at the Weaver 5-20x50 mil/mil FFP and reading some reviews online - looks to be pretty good stuff, especially for the $. Any thoughts here?

Re: Weaver 5-20x50 FFP as an upgrade from a SS 3-9x42?

Weaver makes some very good scopes, and great glass for the money. It will be an upgrade on basically everything but the robustness to the build, probably equal in that area. The only true downside to the weaver is the plain mildot reticle but outside of that I'd definitely recommend them.

Thanks for your input.

I don't mind the plain mil dot reticle - it's what I have now. The only negative comment I heard is not very generous vertical travel. However, I'm using a 20 MOA base, so I don't see a problem there.

I have the 3-15 FFP model and it is great!!! Honestly I wish I had gone with the Standard Mill-Dot, not the Enhanced Mill-Dot, because the center cross hair on the EMD is non-existent. Weaver decided it would be a good idea to leave the center cross hair open and I really don't like that feature. I did get to compare it side by side to a Bushnell HDMR two weeks ago and have to say I could not see a difference in the clarity...

Weaver is a great scope for the price...

Good Luck with the 4-20!!!

The annoying part is that the 3-15x50 EMDR model has 100MOA of elevation. The new mil/mil 4-20x was not improved over the previous moa/mil model, and still has very limited elevation at 55MOA/15mils. The magnification is always better to have, but I really can't get past the lack of elevation.

WOW!!! I am glad I ordered the PST 6-24 then for my new scope... I did not realize that the 4-20 had such a small amount of elevation adjustment...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rick 324</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WOW!!! I am glad I ordered the PST 6-24 then for my new scope... I did not realize that the 4-20 had such a small amount of elevation adjustment...
</div></div>

You might want to check the elevation on your 6-24 PST. If I remember correctly they don't have too much more elevation over the weaver's 4-20 model.

Thanks for the tip Flying bullseye, I will check it out...

You're welcome. Don't quote me on it though but if I remember the PST had something like 2 or 3 more mils than the weaver.

OK, just so I understand this better. I'm shooting .308, mostly 168 gr. BTHP, and at the altitude where I usually shoot (5000 ft.+) I can shoot out to 1000 yds, but probably not much further.

Typical drop for this round at 1000 yds (for a 100 yd zero) is something like 420 ft, right?

If the Weaver 4-20x50 offers 55 MOA of adjustment - that works out to 550 inches at 1000 yds...

I'm I'm starting with a 20 MOA base, it seems to me that the 55 MOA of adjustment on this base is more than enough for anything I ever plan to shoot.

However, I'm more than willing to be schooled on this if need be. I'm here to learn!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spamassassain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, just so I understand this better. I'm shooting .308, mostly 168 gr. BTHP, and at the altitude where I usually shoot (5000 ft.+) I can shoot out to 1000 yds, but probably not much further.

Typical drop for this round at 1000 yds (for a 100 yd zero) is something like 420 ft, right?

If the Weaver 4-20x50 offers 55 MOA of adjustment - that works out to 550 inches at 1000 yds...

I'm I'm starting with a 20 MOA base, it seems to me that the 55 MOA of adjustment on this base is more than enough for anything I ever plan to shoot.

However, I'm more than willing to be schooled on this if need be. I'm here to learn! </div></div>Yes you are correct and on top of that you can use the milldot for hold over too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spamassassain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the Weaver 4-20x50 offers 55 MOA of adjustment - that works out to 550 inches at 1000 yds...

However, I'm more than willing to be schooled on this if need be. I'm here to learn! </div></div>

Yes...and no.

55MOA is the TOTAL adjustment range of the scope...topped out to bottomed out. Thus, assuming your scope actually zeros around the mechanical zero, you'll have approximately 27.5MOA of adjustment to get out to 1k which isn't enough for a .308 (especially with 168gr pills which aren't ideally suited for 1k) with a flat base. Add a 20MOA canted base to the equation which you've got, and you get roughly 47.5MOA of adjustment out of your scope (again...assuming your scope actually zeros at its mechanical midpoint). Assume, for the sake of argument, that you need not more than 40MOA of adjustment to reach 1k from a 100yd zero...you should be fine with the Weaver, on a 20MOA base, to get there with the internal adjustments of your scope. Again, how much of your adjustment gets used up zeroing can impact how much adjustment you actually have when all is said and done.

ORD - OK, that is good info, thanks!

I wasn't sure about the 55 MOA being the total adjustment range but it makes sense. I can see that this scope will probably be fine for what I'm doing, but if I were to go to lower elevations or shoot further, etc. I could run out of adjustment room. Or would need a 30 MOA base, etc. I'll have to consider all of that before purchasing.

I was trying to find out the vertical adjustment range of the SS 3-9x42 but can't find it on the SWFA site. Anyone know?

The great thing about the 20 MOA Base is that usually it gets you to the bottom of the Zero Range and hopefully then you have that extra 20 MOA of adjustment. One other thing to think about is to Zero at 200 or 300 yds if you have a range for it, and then you will get a little extra adjustment from your scope.

None of my rifles are zeroed at less than 200 yds...

Good Luck!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rick 324</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One other thing to think about is to Zero at 200 or 300 yds if you have a range for it, and then you will get a little extra adjustment from your scope.</div></div>

This doesn't make sense, how would you get more range? Being zeroed at 100 or 300 makes no difference in the number of adjustment clicks available till you max out.

Unless I'm missing something here.

yes clicks up are clicks up unless you have an adjustable base or use shims to change scope elevation. i zero at 100 but turn my scope up to 300 yard zero when i hunt because i can hold on the vitals and hit from 0 to 350 yards. but adjusting my elevation up to a 300 yard zero does not give me more internal adjustment in my scope. just less needed to get to a longer range

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spamassassain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I realize this conversation is long over, but 420 FEET of drop at 1000 yards would be pretty incredible. Basically impossible to aim that.

Weaver is only Weaver by name these days. I purchased the Weaver 4-20x FFP because it was cheap at about $790. It is not a bad scope. Standard mildot reticle. Mil turrets with each click more like .097 rather than .1, but even that is normal manufacturer deviation tolerances. Elevation travel is somewhat limited to about 800 yards for .308 Win. I used Burris signature rings with the +/-10moa inserts to get a 20moa lift. Really, this isn't a bad scope that holds zero. It appears to be a rebrand of a different scope that looks just like it but there is nothing wrong with it. It is on a Savage 12/Accutrigger with HS-Precision stock from Stockys. Shoots <4.5" groups at 500 meters. Not bad for factory shit all around. It also has the cheap ass Weaver scope 1-piece base as well. Freakin' scope weighs like 1.75 lbs.

Attachments

• weaver1.jpg
    weaver1.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 14
  • weaver2.jpg
    weaver2.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 18