• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weaver Rings on Picatinny Rail?

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I want to avoid scratching my scope with scope rings, so am considering the Burris Signature with plastic insert. These appear to be a Weaver type, whereas the top of my AR15 is a Picatinny rail. Besides there being no spec for slot spacing on the Weaver, the slots on the Weaver are .180" wide and the Picatinny is .206". Will there be a problem (movement or alignment) mounting Burris Signature Rings (Weaver) on the Picatinny rail. It may fit, but not sure if advisable.

On a related note, I am not sure the Signature rings would look appropriate on an AR15? What do you think?

- Phil

Re: Weaver Rings on Picatinny Rail?

I tried the Burris rings in my 3 AR 10 and one AR 15 uppers and had alignment issues. I love the Burris insert idea and use it a lot, but Weaver and Picatinny rail are not the same.
I have now switched to the Warne Xtra highs QDs made especially for ARs and really like them. They will, however, (as will any non insert ring I have tried) leave some tiny marks on the tube.

As I generally put em' on and leave em' on, it's no big deal.

DPMS AR 10 308 1.5-4 Trijicon, DPMS AR 15 223 4-30x50 Bushnell 6500.

DSCN2714.jpg

DSCN2713.jpg

When you say "alingment issues", do you mean the scope bore was not aligned properly, or some other problem?

I ordered both the Signature rings and Burris XTR rings, with the plan to return one or the other. I could see both and compare. The Weaver style Signature rings fit, but the cross screw is smaller, the rings don't sit down on top of the rail (a gap exists - making the rings higher than the dimension quoted), and there is no loose clamp, meaning you have to slide the Signature rings onto the rail. I just did not get the impression they were as secure as the Picatinny XTRs. Still, the Signature rings seemed secured enough when I tried to move them, but it didn't look as solid as the XTRs. I really wish Burris would use the inserts in rings like the XTR!

- Phil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you say "alingment issues", do you mean the scope bore was not aligned properly, or some other problem?

I ordered both the Signature rings and Burris XTR rings, with the plan to return one or the other. I could see both and compare. The Weaver style Signature rings fit, but the cross screw is smaller, the rings don't sit down on top of the rail (a gap exists - making the rings higher than the dimension quoted), and there is no loose clamp, meaning you have to slide the Signature rings onto the rail. I just did not get the impression they were as secure as the Picatinny XTRs. Still, the Signature rings seemed secured enough when I tried to move them, but it didn't look as solid as the XTRs. I really wish Burris would use the inserts in rings like the XTR!

- Phil </div></div>

Take some degreasor or isopropol alcohol and clean your rings cap surfaces, where they'll contact the scope.

Let them dry.

Get some 3/4" wide SCOTCH 3M tape, the good stuff and line the contact surfaces with the tape. You'll get the hang of it by taking one edge of the tape and butting it up to the scope cap/ring's edge.

Smooth/press out any air bubbles or start over.

Take an Xacto blade or sharp razor blade and trim away the excess.

Behold never having a scope ring mark again.

Chris

There were major alignment problems on my DPMS 260 LR and 4-16x50 Schmidt. 30mm inserts are only available with a .10 offset and did not give enough to work.
I made new inserts on a lathe out of delrin. (Silly waste of time but worked)
The 1" rings are available with .30 offsets and might work. But no matter what you do it's a bastard arrangement. Get rings made for a rail and either put up with the ring marks or lap the rings if you are bothered by a cosmetic issue.
The normal Burris rings are too low anyway compared to the Warnes made for the AR platforms.
Here's the 260 as it was:

dpms260.jpg