• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Weaver Tactical 1-5 or 1-7 opinions????

bigjake83

Golden Shellback
Minuteman
  • May 19, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    I recently just picked up an AR pistol so I was looking for a optic for double duty and I stumbled onto the Weaver Tactical LPVO. On paper they seem like a decent option, FFP, Japan LOW Glass, decent reticles, light weight, compact... I just don't know Jack shit about Weaver Optics I guess I've always considered them as cheap shit. So if you've ever owned one of these or currently do I'd appreciate your opinions on them...Thanks

Jake

I know weaver is now getting out of the optic business so its only new-old stock thats left but the glass in all weavers Ive ever seen has been respectable, especially for the price point. Its not gonna blow your socks off but it wont leave you straining to see either.

I recently just picked up an AR pistol so I was looking for a optic for double duty and I stumbled onto the Weaver Tactical LPVO. On paper they seem like a decent option, FFP, Japan LOW Glass, decent reticles, light weight, compact... I just don't know Jack shit about Weaver Optics I guess I've always considered them as cheap shit. So if you've ever owned one of these or currently do I'd appreciate your opinions on them...Thanks

Jake
    Don't own one, but I can tell you this:
    Weaver is no longer involved in riflescope production.
    Warranty work is being covered by Bushnell. (I believe)
    The tactical scope line was very good, the 1-5 was known as a good performer.

I always liked a lot it's tactical line of optics. Bushnell confirmed with me that they will warranty them if needed, whether that's repairing or replacing with a similar item...

I recently just picked up an AR pistol
    If you picked up an AR pistol I would recommend a red dot or holographic site like an Aimpoint or Eotech, with the short barrel of the AR pistol you will limit the effective range of the 5.56 cartridge and a red dot or holographic site might be a better than a LPVO. I have used the Weaver Tactical 1-5x before on a 16" AR and its good for the money but at that price range I would prefer the Burris XTRII or the Bushnell Elite Tactical for a little more money.

If you picked up an AR pistol I would recommend a red dot or holographic site like an Aimpoint or Eotech, with the short barrel of the AR pistol you will limit the effective range of the 5.56 cartridge and a red dot or holographic site might be a better than a LPVO. I have used the Weaver Tactical 1-5x before on a 16" AR and its good for the money but at that price range I would prefer the Burris XTRII or the Bushnell Elite Tactical for a little more money.

It's a KAC SR15 14.5" Pistol so the accuracy is still there. My train of thought was to find a LPVO like the NF NX 1-8 keep it on 1x and use the illuminated center Dot just a red dot and have the extra magnification for 100yrd+ work.

It's a KAC SR15 14.5"
    Well that changes things a little bit I guess, sorry was thinking you got a pistol with like a 10.4" barrel.

I have a couple of Weaver Tactical scopes and for the money some are very good. I really like my 3-15x Weaver Tactical with Illuminated EMDR Reticle, I run it on a Tikka Tactical .223 Rem and have taken it out to 700 yards no problem, clear glass, good tracking and a good eye box. I have also used the 1-5x Weaver Tactical with the Illum CIRT Reticle. I found the reticle to be too thick, in my personal opinion.

I think it really depends on your budget. You mention the Nightforce NX 1-8, that optic runs roughly $1,700, no comparison to the Weaver. Value for money I really like the Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-8.5x24, you could pick them up a bit ago for around $800 and for the money they are awesome. If you don't have a budget the best out there is the Schmidt Bender 1-8x24 PM II ShortDot Dual CC with the MDR-T6 reticle, the openness of the reticle doesn't obscure the target and make aiming a breeze. I don't have any experience with the Nightforce NX 1-8 but have used the ATACR 1-8x and its a great optic, I'm sure the NX 1-8x would be solid.