• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 v Menace 4-14x44

Czech

Private
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2008
Guys, I'm on the market for a 'mid' price FFP scope, and at the moment I'm leaning towards to the Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 and the Falcon Menace 4-14x44.
Both FFP scopes, 30mm tubes, Milldot reticle.
Menace is roughly $400 and Weaver roughly $700.

Question is, is the Weaver roughly $300 better scope than the Menace, in terms of clarity of the glass, turret operation/markings, quality in build etc.

Scope will sit atop a Remington Police, 7mm Mag, 20moa bases, med Leupold Mk4 steel rings.

Main use will be in F class style comp and some 'hide' stationery hunting.

I would greatly appreciate any input from anyone who had experience with both, as unfortunately, I can't actually physically try either of them.

I will have to buy one or the other, largely guided buy what I can learn from others experiences.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Re: Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 v Menace 4-14x44

I have owned three Falcons going on approximately 2 years. I don’t own the version that you are interested in, but here is my opinion. I am going to stay away from the technical capabilities for the moment.

The Weaver most likely has a limited lifetime warranty, whereas the Falcon is 1 to 5 years, depending on where you buy it.

SWFA is now selling the Falcon brand with a 5-year warranty. They are a large optics distributor with a great reputation, and therefore, would be my preferred source. Some distributors are offering various deals that would make the initial purchase a bit cheaper, but do not offer the 5-year warranty. For $10 more you can in some cases double the warranty period.

Do you need a 5-year warranty period ---- well yes! Any new production Falcon model will have about a one year “teething period” to get the bugs out and to properly refine manufacturing. I also believe that a bad batch makes it through the distribution channels on occasion. Both of these beliefs are solely subjective, and cannot be proven with statistical data. It’s just a gut feeling based on limited experience and reading the various gun forums.

I like the Falcon Menace scopes. They offer a tremendous set of features for the price range. Optical quality is good. Many function as advertised over a period of time. I have one that has been exposed to well over 1000 rounds of .308 and continues to chug along. I have another one that checked out at around 300 rounds.

If you never intend to upgrade the scope and expect to own it for many years (i.e. more than 5 years), the Weaver would probably be the best way to go - especially on a 7MM magnum. The Falcons have supposedly been tested up to .338 Lapua, but I would have to see the test data to believe.

I have owned two Falcons. Featurewise they steal the pricepoint. But I would echo everything TCW mentioned about quality and reliability. Very good customer service, but I can't shoot a scope that's in the mail. I switched to something that will hopefully be much more reliable (and expensive!). Mine sat atop a 300WM, BTW...

Another thing to consider if shooting F class. The Falcon reticle is .06 mil IIRC. I found it fairly thick for precision work. I shoot mostly center mass, but it was a bit of a pain for load development.

At $700+ for the Weaver, I'm sure you're aware of the Viper PST's just up the price point? They're not production released yet, but for the money, I'd choose one over the Weaver.

John

Actually, I think the reticle on my newer 5.5-25 is a tad thinner than my older 5.5-25 (that bought the "dust" by the way). I have been shooting .5 red dots and it seems a bit easier than before.

Falcon constantly upgrades their scopes. They just don't advertise it. There have been other improvements as well (can definitely confirm - not my imagination).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, I think the reticle on my newer 5.5-25 is a tad thinner than my older 5.5-25 (that bought the "dust" by the way). I have been shooting .5 red dots and it seems a bit easier than before.

Falcon constantly upgrades their scopes. They just don't advertise it. There have been other improvements as well (can definitely confirm - not my imagination).
</div></div>

You know, now that you mention it, my shooting partner just got a 5-25 and the reticle seemed thinner than the one on my 4-14. It's possible they made a change. They also have made a couple modifications to the knobs along the way.

John

I have both and they are both good scopes. For the money I think the Menace is the better deal. Low light the Weaver is a little better as far as picking up the reticle.

I own a falcon menace, it is a fine scope. if you plan on doing some some hunting with it, I would recommend the Weaver as the lowlight capabilities of the Falcon is wanting.

If you are shooting F class or similar, a SFP scope is a bit more conducive to shooting little groups than a FFP scope.

Guys, thanks for your input.
I've decided to buy both, 'run' them side by side and then make my choice and sell the 'looser'.

I just know, if I didn't do it this way, I would be forever wondering about the scope I didn't get.

Hell, it's only money, can't take it with you!
laugh.gif

Let me know when you are selling one or the other
smile.gif

I am looking at both of these scopes right now myself. Keep us posted.

The Weaver would be out of the question for me simply because it has 1/4 MOA clicks. The Falcon has 1/10th mil clicks, which are the better choice for a mil-scale reticle.

Hopefully Weaver will rectify their situation in the near future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Weaver would be out of the question for me simply because it has 1/4 MOA clicks. The Falcon has 1/10th mil clicks, which are the better choice for a mil-scale reticle.

Hopefully Weaver will rectify their situation in the near future.

</div></div>

I emailed Weaver and they said that they are looking into a Mil/Mil retical in the future. They didn't give me any time frame.