• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Weaver Tactical Grand Slam 3-10 mil-mil

Nebraska

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2006
Nebraska
I recently picked up a pair of Remington 5Rs in 223 and 308 and thought it might be a good idea to top each one with a 3-10x Weaver Tactial Grand Slam mil-mil scope. I have a FFP Weaver Tactical 3-15 mil-mil on another rifle so these are more to compliment my practice with mil-mil than for competition or serious use. FWIW - I only shoot out to 600 yards so for $299/ea they look pretty hard to beat.....what do you think?

Also, since I'm only shooting out to 600, would there be an issue with using Talley 1-piece rings with these set-ups?

Weaver Tactcial Grand Slam 3-10 mil-mil

Re: Weaver Tactical Grand Slam 3-10 mil-mil

i cant speak on this one but i hope to pick up the weaver tactical 3-15x that is based off of this scope and highly recommended on this forum.

I have one on my predator rig (rem 700 sps-v in 243) and can't be happier!! It's mounted in a one piece DNZ mount, but I shimmed the back of the base and bedded it. Now I have about 12 moa in the base, which leaves me bottomed out at 1.1 mils below my zero. Kind of a cheap zero stop!! I used two layers from an aluminum can to shim it (Busch beer!) and JB weld to bed it.

I have one of these on my Rem LTR and it's a great piece of glass for the price. I just recently upgraded to a SWFA SS 5-20 but it's a great choice if you're on a budget or don't want to take the full plunge on a scope right off the bat.

Very interesting technique! Are there any reliability issues when using shims or does the bedding take care of that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nebraska</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very interesting technique! Are there any reliability issues when using shims or does the bedding take care of that? </div></div>

The bedding makes it a solid piece. No different than bedding a regular one piece base.

Any more experience with the Weaver 3-10 mil-mil??

I have one that has always been on 22 trainers. Very happy with the optic, no regrets at all. Glass is clear and tracks perfectly!

I am thinking about the FFP Weaver Tactical 3-15x mil-mil for a more reasonably priced optic.
The 3-10x is enough for 600 yds, but I still like 15x.

Great scope for the $. I just ordered my 3rd one. Buy with confidence.

I have the Weaver GS-T on my SPS tac, it tracks great (box test) and is very bright for a 1" tube. I had spent about 8 months working up various loads, but never really paid too much attention to the mildot subtension and ranging. So I just finished a few hours of ranging and calculating and here is what I found:

I used distances 115Y, 195Y, 470Y and 489Y. These just happen to be the locations. I used a constant 8.5" at 115, and 34" at 195 and above. I ranged them with a laser and re-confirmed using google earth measurements.

I used a camera to capture the images to make sure I did not just eyeball the reticle.

With the scope at 10x 115 = 134Y, 195 = 214Y, 470 = 630Y , 489 = 656 Y

Doing all of the reverse calcs, at 115 I should read 4.1mil I read 3.5 at 195 should read 2.54 I read 2.18, at 470 should read 1.0 I read .75 and at 489 should read .96 and I read .72

So at 200 and beyond the readings are off by approx .25 mil and up to 200 by about .55 mil.

I attempted a half power adjustment but there was no one spot that was accurate for 100-500, so I will just add .25 to anything over 200Y.

Has anyone tracked the 3-15x50 tactical?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roggom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone tracked the 3-15x50 tactical? </div></div>

Thanks. I'll be interested to hear how the new 3-15 compares to the 3-10 too.

Anyone else have similar issues with the mils on the 3-10??

Two things:

1. Tube size has nothing to do with how bright a scope is. Glass quality, coatings, and objective size do.

2. Measuring distance with a laser rangefinder is not exact, they all have some degree of error. The only way to be sure is to physically measure with a tape measure.

Talleys are what my aac-sd 700 wears and I am considering one of these too.

RF you are correct it is the inner tube of the scope that effects the light transmission along with the lenses, just exchange the phrase 1" tube for cheap scope.

I really hoped the scope was dead-on , but these are just the measurements I got. I was laser ranging building structures and making the measurements on Google earth to verify I was getting the same readings, my laser readings were within a few yards of the satellite measurements not over 100y variance.

I'm not bashing the Weaver scope, because I really like it alot, just the numbers are not there.

Anyone else crunch any numbers yet.

I have only checked mine at 100 yards, 1 mil was 3.6 inches. I did some limited tracking tests with it and the knobs matched the reticle. I am still working out my handloads, so 400 yards is the furthest I have pushed it. I have not used it to range by mildots yet, but I will scrutinize it when I do.