• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Weaver Tactical GS vs SWFA 10x42M for Rimfire

Skyyr

Aviator
Minuteman
May 25, 2010
TN
Recently purchased the Weaver Tactical Grand Slam 3-10x40, but haven't mounted it yet. I just came across the SWFA 10x42M (with side focus) and I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a better choice.

I looking to put this on a 10/22, shooting out to 200-250'ish.

Any input? Would the SWFA be a better match? Anyone have experience with either?

Re: Weaver Tactical GS vs SWFA 10x42M for Rimfire

What do you plan on using this rifle for?

If you're planning on doing any hunting with it I think the adjustable power would the best choice. If you're strictly going to be target shooting the adjustable parallax on the SS would be helpful. Both should work fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FAL1123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you plan on using this rifle for?

If you're planning on doing any hunting with it I think the adjustable power would the best choice. If you're strictly going to be target shooting the adjustable parallax on the SS would be helpful. Both should work fine. </div></div>

Mainly as a long-range .22, capable for 50yds-250yds. I intend to use it primarily as a trainer.

If you are only using it for long range training I would suggest the SS due to the large amount of internal adjustment. Also parralax adjustment is nice on a rimfire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chemist1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are only using it for long range training I would suggest the SS due to the large amount of internal adjustment. Also parralax adjustment is nice on a rimfire. </div></div>

I want it to be long-range capable (which is where I will use it most), but I don't want it to be useless at shorter ranges, like 50yds. Would the SS be a better option even at that range?

SS will focus down to 10 meters. Should be good to go.

The only restrictive factor with the SS is its fixed power. If you have no problem using 10x at all ranges you'll be shooting (whether its 10yds or 250yds), then the SS is the better option of the 2 scopes based on several factors, but mostly on its HUGE adjustment range compared to the Weaver (the SS has basically 2x the internal adjustment range of the Weaver which you'll find extremely nice...and necessary...for a long-range 22lr trainer).

The variable power really only shines when it comes into needing less magnification and a wider field of view that comes with it (like when hunting for example). For 50yd work (your stated shortest range)...the fixed 10x should be fine.

Just to add one other thought...if this is truly a "trainer" in the strictest sense of the word, my advice to you is to buy a scope that mirrors the scope that you'll be using on your centerfire counterpart to your .22lr trainer. I know people don't want to spend that kind of money sometimes (especially when its the cost of a NF, USO, Premier, S&B, Henny, etc.), but if you are truly "training" then it makes sense to have your setups as close as possible to each other in terms of function if nothing else.

I have the Weaver 3-10x mounted on my Savage FV-SR with Burris Signature Zee rings and 20MOA inserts.

My scope is zeroed at 50yd which is where do most of my group shooting, and the scope looks great on 10x at that range. With power set around 5x, I have no problem shooting as close as 10 yards. The Weaver is elevation limited compared to the SWFA SS but with the 20MOA inserts (or a canted base) I've got just enough adjustment for 300yd shots.