• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Weaver V-series scopes? Tasco Varmint? Buckmaster?

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
How do the Weaver V-series compare to the Nikon Buckmasters and Super Sniper series? I know the SS are fixed power but I am asking about optical quality and really overall quality.

There are a lot of us who can't buy a NF, USO, S&B or other top-end scope. We end up aggravating some people by trying to get the best optics we can afford. A comparision between the SS and Tasco varmint, Buckmaster and other decent low-mid range scope would be appreciated.
I saw a Weaver V-series for sale here. I know the benchrest shooters like the T-series, but I don't remember reading anything about the V-series. It has a mil-dot reticle. I just bought a stock and now need glass.

Thanks,
Jim

Re: Weaver V-series scopes? Tasco Varmint? Buckmaster?

pepperbelly - can't speak for Weaver V-series and Nikons but I've been using a SS 10X44 and a Weaver Extreme 1.5x4.5 30mm. Clarity is about the same and the reticle is as sharp on either one. My Tasco 6X24 1-inch tube is a shade less clear in bright sun, even with an extended sunshade. Neither the Weaver or the Tasco has mildot for hold over and ranging but the dot/fine cross hairs combo works for me.

For the money if you want a mildot, go with the SS. If you're hunting, I'd go with the Weaver, especially if you want a variable.

My 2 cents -

Gunfighter

I keep looking at variable scopes, but always leave the scopes I have on their highest setting.
I do need to pick up a decent fixed power scope like the SS, probably a 16x.

Jim

I have used Weaver V series before, had a 4-16x40, did work great on the range, tracked great and all,

for hunting it lacked a bit of resolution at extended ranges and clarity, not the best of lowlight abilities.

Best regards Chris