• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Webb County Texas Deer

81STFACP

DRB 1234, P100, HM - XC, LR
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2006
Austin, TX
Shot this on 29 Dec shortly after 0730. I was fumbling around with the FX5 I got from Sendero Man, did not really know which deer call to use, but on SM's input previously I first used the doe estrous bleat, followed by light sparring, then a brawl.

Do not know whether the call did the trick or not since this is my first time with a deer call, but a 6 pointer showed up heading towards me, but stopped and munch on some grass, then this buck showed up. He was on a trot straight at me then turned slightly to his left. Did not want to lose him 'cause it appeared to be heading to the other side of the Sendero, so I decided to take the shot. Sent one of the 155 Berger VLDs from AWM to the area slightly behind the shoulder. He dropped right on its tracks. It was 175 yards away

When I got to it, it was still moving its head slightly so I put a 357 SIG on the neck. During skinning found the 125 grain Gold Dot embedded on the skin on the other side of the neck. The 155 Berger was literally in hundreds of pieces and no exit hole and there was a pencil size entry wound. It cut the spine in half and took fist size meat on both back straps. Checked the weight of the 125 Gold Dot afterwards. After it went through the neck bones, amazingly it held together and still weigh 120.5 grains.

Here is the buck.
wbe16q.jpg

nl95ap.jpg

2mmfhas.jpg

Re: Webb County Texas Deer

Nice wide South Tx buck 81STF, seeing your photo lets me reminiscence. I used to hunt in Webb cty near the small town of Aguilares, good times for sure, miss that old brush country.

Re: Webb County Texas Deer

Sendero Man,

Thank you and Happy New Year.

I truly like the FX5, going back South the end of this month and use it after some more Coyotes and maybe take a spike.