• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Webley & Scott Xocet

bmicek

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2017
Kansas
01DE70AE-D9D6-4205-BA73-8D884EB6BE4F.jpeg

I recently picked up a Webley & Scott Xocet and wanted to give a quick review. The Xocet has a price tag of ~$180 depending where you shop for it. I’m lucky enough to have an FFL buddy that could get me one for a good price so figured I would give it a shot.

Online specs say it weighs 7.5lbs but upon arrival, it weighed in at 5lb 10oz’s on my scale. Pretty comparable to the average rimfire despite having a carbon fiber barrel. It is hard to describe how it feels in hand. It balances excellent with the balance point being centered in the rifle.

The best way I can describe the feel of the rifle is, a quality built cheap rifle. The bolt is smooth, but the knob feels cheap. The stock has great ergonomics, but feels like your typical Tupperware stock. Trigger is crisp, yet heavier than my liking. I would estimate it to be about a 5lb or so trigger. The trigger has an Accu-Trigger look to it but the center “blade” does not press into the center of the trigger. Kind of odd feeling but crisp as previously mentioned.

The rifle comes with two, 10 round magazines that lock in and drop freely, as a quality rifle should. The rifle feeds flawless and extracted every round flawlessly. When cycling the bolt, at times I would reach and miss the bolt due to it having a much more flush fit to the stock versus a typical bolt rifle that has the bolt extruding from the stock a bit more.

11FF69AC-68D2-4547-A7C2-333E780E2859.jpeg

Now for what everyone came here to see, how does it shoot? I robbed an SWFA fixed 10 power scope off an AR15 I had so I had to deal with rings that are too tall. With a less than ideal cheek rest (or should I say, chin rest) due to the tall rings, I am blown away by accuracy thus far. We have had loads of snow here so I only tested 25 yards, but so far things look promising.

3ED2AF55-FC60-47B2-A6E0-1CFF5B26361B.jpeg

Shown above is a 5 round, 25 yard group shooting CCI SV. (For reference, the dot I was aiming at is about the size of a match head). I do not believe in 25 yard groups for proof of accuracy, but it still says something for a $180 rifle. Groups like this were easily repeatable. Once it warms up a bit more, I will shoot some 50 yard groups and feed it some higher quality ammo to see what it is truly capable of. If it deems a shooter, it may fall info my wife’s hands for an NRL22 rifle. Stay tuned for more groups.

Last edited:
Curious if the plastic bolt knob is threaded on and if you can tell how the barrel is retained (pinned or setscrewed or...). Does it look like the trigger is adjustable through either screws or reduced power springs?

At that price for a fullish size doner action it may be worth considering just to build of off

Curious if the plastic bolt knob is threaded on and if you can tell how the barrel is retained (pinned or setscrewed or...). Does it look like the trigger is adjustable through either screws or reduced power springs?

At that price for a fullish size doner action it may be worth considering just to build of off

I tried to unscrew the bolt knob but it did not budge. Although, it does look like it could come off in some way if I really muscled it? Hard to say.

The barrel is retained by two screws like a CZ 455.

The trigger is adjustable but it is set at the lowest setting. It would be fairly easy to swap to a lighter spring though so that could definitely be an option to improve the trigger pull. If I find time tomorrow, I can post some pictures of the barrel screws and the trigger with the stock off.

F5115955-07D3-425D-95A1-27B026D0559D.jpeg
5421B50A-942C-4730-864F-189CA5081D11.jpeg

Here are the pictures I mentioned taking. Barrel is held in by two screws similar to a CZ 455 and the trigger is adjustable but is currently at the lowest setting. That spring could be replaced though.

Update: I did replace the trigger spring with a spring (Item# 54009 - Ace Hardware) and it significantly lightened the trigger. Passes all safety tests. Cut the spring in half as it comes long and I’d estimate the trigger pull to be closer to 1.5-2lbs now.

Update: I did replace the trigger spring with a spring (Item# 54009 - Ace Hardware) and it significantly lightened the trigger. Passes all safety tests. Cut the spring in half as it comes long and I’d estimate the trigger pull to be closer to 1.5-2lbs now.
Do you have a link to the replacement spring that you purchased? I tried looking it up and could not locate it,

Do you have a link to the replacement spring that you purchased? I tried looking it up and could not locate it,

Do you have a local Ace Hardware? This spring I got from their pull out drawers of springs and the item number was 54009 but going on their website, it doesn't look like they number things with the same numbers as their store. Otherwise, your best bet is to remove the factory spring and take it to a hardware store and find one of a similar diameter. It doesn't have to be the same length as I had to cut the one I bought nearly in half. If you still have issues let me know and if you pay for shipping, I can just mail you the other half of the spring I used.

Do you have a local Ace Hardware? This spring I got from their pull out drawers of springs and the item number was 54009 but going on their website, it doesn't look like they number things with the same numbers as their store. Otherwise, your best bet is to remove the factory spring and take it to a hardware store and find one of a similar diameter. It doesn't have to be the same length as I had to cut the one I bought nearly in half. If you still have issues let me know and if you pay for shipping, I can just mail you the other half of the spring I used.
I will check out my local ace hardware. Thank you very much for the help.

Picked a xocet up.Changed Trigger spring.Cannot go wrong for $200.Accurate Little shooter at 50yds.Only pisser is threads on barrel appear 1/2”x20 UNF.

I didn't know W&S were making firearms again. Fun fact, they used to make some really good airguns including one called the Xocet. I had a .22 Xocet when I was a kid.

I have one of these as well. Found the spring at Ace mentioned here. Found another similar one also that seemed a little lighter. I'll find out on Tuesday when I get back home. Seems like a cool rifle and should do well on the gopher fields.

I have one of these as well. Found the spring at Ace mentioned here. Found another similar one also that seemed a little lighter. I'll find out on Tuesday when I get back home. Seems like a cool rifle and should do well on the gopher fields.
Hard to beat it for the price so far!

Reactions: John Wesley Hardin
I did find that my SWR Spectre2 screws right on but the threads are a touch to long and do not contact the shoulder. May have the threads shortened and recrowned or just use a spacer.

I did find that my SWR Spectre2 screws right on but the threads are a touch to long and do not contact the shoulder. May have the threads shortened and recrowned or just use a spacer.

I don't have a rimfire can but I have a Griffin Armament Optimus that is user serviceable so I use that for rimfire. Have a Form 1 pending approval as of yesterday but I use the 1/2x28 pistol booster as a direct thread for rimfire shooting since they have no recoil. I was able to fully thread on my can to the barrel shoulder. It did seem like quite a bit longer threads than standard. If I wasn't using a pistol booster, I'm sure I would've ran into the same issue as you.

Is the receiver steel or some sort of composite?

I just finished swapping the trigger spring and it is much mo betta. Stock at lowest setting is 6lbs. Swapped in a cut in half Hillman #3 (Ace #540009) spring and achieved 2.5lbs. Pretty good but wait for it...... a Hillman #9 (Ace #540027) spring cut in half yielded a consistent and drop safe 1.5lbs trigger pull. I'm liking it much more now. Only things I may do to it is add an over travel screw to the trigger. That and I am so, so tempted to cut that fake blade off the trigger but I'm afraid of f-cking it up with no chance of a replacement

Picture shows from top to bottom
- 22lr dummy round
- stock trigger spring
- #3 (Ace #540009)
- #9 (Ace #540027

Attachments

• 15544044523648395834005954156505.jpg
    15544044523648395834005954156505.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 114
I just finished swapping the trigger spring and it is much mo betta. Stock at lowest setting is 6lbs. Swapped in a cut in half Hillman #3 (Ace #540009) spring and achieved 2.5lbs. Pretty good but wait for it...... a Hillman #9 (Ace #540027) spring cut in half yielded a consistent and drop safe 1.5lbs trigger pull. I'm liking it much more now. Only things I may do to it is add an over travel screw to the trigger. That and I am so, so tempted to cut that fake blade off the trigger but I'm afraid of f-cking it up with no chance of a replacement

- 22lr dummy round
- stock trigger spring
- #3 (Ace #540009)
- #9 (Ace #540027
I have also been very tempted to dremel off that fake trigger blade as well... and I still might do it

Great info.

- 22lr dummy round
- stock trigger spring
- #3 (Ace #540009)
- #9 (Ace #540027

Picked one up a good while back. As you folks have found the trigger is horrible, but even with that it's shooting well below MOA with match ammo. Definately going to tear into the thing and clean that trigger up some..

Had no issue threading a 1/2-28 can on flush. Makes me wonder if there's differences in some of the guns landing in the states.

My update. I went to mount a scope today and did my normal check on everything 1st. Took the rail off and found it had a lot of unsupported areas between rail and action and would rock side to side so I used JB steel epoxy to bed it in. It did seem solid when tightened down before bedding and very likely unnecessary but I'll sleep better. Its curing now and if the stars align it'll get scoped and shot tomorrow.

No pics but it definatly benefited from the bedding. Also the torque I used on base screws was 20 in/lbs. I did not dare go higher. She is now solid as a rock. Headed to dad's to shoot now.

No pics but it definatly benefited from the bedding. Also the torque I used on base screws was 20 in/lbs. I did not dare go higher. She is now solid as a rock. Headed to dad's to shoot now.

Excellent. Recall rail Allen size?

Really windy and no rest to use but was impressive with CCI SV. Will get on paper another day without a 15mph wind

Well, I couldn't take that goofy trigger anymore. After watching my dad search for the trigger it got a trim. Super easy and well worth it.

Attachments

• 20190416_180854.jpg
    20190416_180854.jpg
    647.1 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Took the W&S out to the gopher fields and it was a joy to shoot. Hit where I aimed, easy to carry around and worked great out the window. One thing b that did surprise me was the POI shift when I changed from CCI SV to CCI SSHP. Moved high and left by 4". My other guns have little change. Must be that light barrel. Ounce adjustment was made it was good all day.

Well it turned out the spacer I used to make the suppressor fit was not a machined piece after all. Was getting baffle strikes on 2nd outing. I removed the barrel and it is getting the threads trimmed to .400" like a rim fire should be. He will also check that the tensioner at the muzzle end is a good concentric surface also. Barrel came out easy enough. I'll take pics and measurements before I install again.

Well it turned out the spacer I used to make the suppressor fit was not a machined piece after all. Was getting baffle strikes on 2nd outing. I removed the barrel and it is getting the threads trimmed to .400" like a rim fire should be. He will also check that the tensioner at the muzzle end is a good concentric surface also. Barrel came out easy enough. I'll take pics and measurements before I install again.

The Spectre must have the first baffle close to the direct thread, my Form 1 rimfire can shoulders nicely and not a single baffle strike. But having the threads shorted a bit isn’t a big issue so you’ll still have a great rifle for a cheap price.

I just used the wrong spacer is all. Should of did it right in the 1st place.

Also, if someone wanted one of these there are 2 at a shop in SD. Listing is on GunBroker. $220 is still a great price.

Barrel tenon is 18mm wide and 29mm long with a shelf cut for indexing on bottom. V cuts for set screws are at 16mm and are approximately 4mm deep. The chamber has a minute feed ramp also. I did not notice till now.

Attachments

• 20190513_115302.jpg
    20190513_115302.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 173
  • 20190513_114452.jpg
    20190513_114452.jpg
    619.4 KB · Views: 133
  • 20190513_114446.jpg
    20190513_114446.jpg
    479.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 20190513_114439.jpg
    20190513_114439.jpg