• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Weed Eater Recommendation

AngryKoala

Old Salt
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2020
I've had the Troybilt Weed Eater 685 EC for three years and for two out of the three years I've had to fix this damn thing. First it was the gas line, then the carbeurator and now low and behold it won't maintain idle. Checked the spark plug, gas line, used new fuel and checked the carburetor gasket. Everything looks good.

For some reason oil was leaking out which when I opened it up I couldn't find out from where as everything was tight and the o-ring was snug.

For the love of God can someone please recommend a good weed eater, that isn't an absolute piece of shit....sorry end rant. Thank you in advance.

I have my guys running Stihl FS94R’s. They’re very light, more than adequate power, and are their commercial line. You can buy their oil with it and get a doubled warranty. Not cheap at around $400 with the oil, but it will last eternally if you make sure to mix some fuel stabilizer in to the fuel.

1621808757465.jpeg

Sounds like stihl it is, at this point I don't care about cost. It's worth the extra money to not have to deal with this every single year.

I also run a stihl but wish I had the goat.

Okay, excuse my ignorance. Are we talking about a real goat or is there a product named the goat?

My mom has about 80 goats and I hate them all. Delivered a baby goat and helped bring one back to life which was cool but other than that they are assholes.
They ate the damn heater manual that I set down while I was trying to fix the heater for their barn. Goats are evil.

I’ve had my Craftsman for a couple years now and no issues. Starts every time. I do like Stihl 2 cycle oil and ethanol free gas. Burns much cleaner than most 2 cycle stuff out there.

I buy the cheapest stihl....it last 3, 4, 5 years. I throw it away and start new. They all run under the same plastic shit. No need to waste more money on something with more plastic shit.

How does it benefit any of them to make one that last 20 years?

Ive tried all different brands, same result.

Reactions: AngryKoala
Okay, excuse my ignorance. Are we talking about a real goat or is there a product named the goat?

My mom has about 80 goats and I hate them all. Delivered a baby goat and helped bring one back to life which was cool but other than that they are assholes.
They ate the damn heater manual that I set down while I was trying to fix the heater for their barn. Goats are evil.
Real goats I think the fainting ones are hilarious. I purchased my stihl few years ago i forget what model but just below their removable power head options. It’s been great thus far.

No joke I’ve been through like 5 weedeaters. I got an Echo some one threw at the street. I’ve had it for ten years, It was old when I got it. That thing runs like new and cuts like no tomorrow!! I still laugh at it!🤣👍

So apparently I'm not alone and everyone just makes shit now days. Awesome find, wish I had that kind of luck.

I have been a faithful Stihl customer until recently. They have gone to this m-tronic fuel management on a lot of their stuff. I generally abhor that type of move so the last three power products I’ve bought have been echo, a trimmer, a chainsaw, and an edger. It’s a different kind of power than stihl. They like to be run wide open. I have a 2620T trimmer that has been running well for three years. I’ve had to replace a carb on my fs90 stihl during that time. Get your echo from a real echo dealer, not Home Depot.

Real goats I think the fainting ones are hilarious. I purchased my stihl few years ago i forget what model but just below their removable power head options. It’s been great thus far.

They are funny as hell if you can master making goat sounds (they will talk back). It's also hilarious watching a horny buck with his damn tongue out trying to get some.

It does suck when they hop up on your car and leave prints in the paint.

I have been a faithful Stihl customer until recently. They have gone to this m-tronic fuel management on a lot of their stuff. I generally abhor that type of move so the last three power products I’ve bought have been echo, a trimmer, a chainsaw, and an edger. It’s a different kind of power than stihl. They like to be run wide open. I have a 2620T trimmer that has been running well for three years. I’ve had to replace a carb on my fs90 stihl during that time. Get your echo from a real echo dealer, not Home Depot.

I've heard, not sure how true it is but a lot of power tools and other equipment is specifically made for home depot/ lowes and differs internally. I was told they will change out certain parts for cheaper ones (could be bs, I have no clue).

Reactions: oneshot86
I have my guys running Stihl FS94R’s. They’re very light, more than adequate power, and are their commercial line. You can buy their oil with it and get a doubled warranty. Not cheap at around $400 with the oil, but it will last eternally if you make sure to mix some fuel stabilizer in to the fuel.
If for just trimming around the yard, this would be my recommendation too. Very light. True 2 stroke, so no valve adj issues.

I have and like big Redmax trimmers for heavy work.

Reactions: AngryKoala
Don’t be afraid of the Stihl homeowner trimmers. I have an ~5 year old FS56RC. I abuse the hell out of it clearing hunting properties and my own residence (overgrown and unkept when I bought the property). No issues. Like was suggested, definitely buy the value pack of Stihl brand oil to double your manufacturers warranty.

If for just trimming around the yard, this would be my recommendation too. Very light. True 2 stroke, so no valve adj issues.

I have and like big Redmax trimmers for heavy work.

I've always used a 4 stroke because supposedly they were more durable..... haven't been able to test that since my weed eater takes a shit every season.

My wife cannot start a gas powered weed whacker due to joint issues and she is a weed whacking freak.
I bought her a EGO 56volt electric and I was surprised at how well it works.

We have a home on a good size rural area where we use this thing and we beat it to death, two years now no issues.
I would buy another in a minute.

I've always used a 4 stroke because supposedly they were more durable..... haven't been able to test that since my weed eater takes a shit every season.
I also have the Kombi system. Great for homeowner use, and stop-gap commercial use. It’s a 4 stroke, and has never given me any issues related to quality, or reliability. It’s a pig though, as I chose to get their most powerful version, not thinking about the practicality of carrying it all day. Only issues I’ve ever had with any Stihl products have been due to the spark arrester screen. When the warranty expires, the spark screen comes off. I mix my fuel a little rich, and after about 100 hours, the screen clogs and has to be replaced

Reactions: notacos4u
Worked at a trout farm mid to late 90's that had a Honda 4 stroke. It was a good trimmer.

Stihl chainsaws and Echo everything else, trimmer, hedge clippers, blower. It's the ethanol that kills these little engines, eats up rubber lines and fuel bulbs but stabil helps.

My wife cannot start a gas powered weed whacker due to joint issues and she is a weed whacking freak.
I bought her a EGO 56volt electric and I was surprised at how well it works.

We have a home on a good size rural area where we use this thing and we beat it to death, two years now no issues.
I would buy another in a minute.

^^^^^^^
Got tired of fucking with gas trimmers and bought a 40v DeWalt.
That bitch has never lacked for power and I get at least 4 cuttings on my edging, trimming and the heavy shit outside of my property line.

Stihl chainsaws and Echo everything else, trimmer, hedge clippers, blower. It's the ethanol that kills these little engines, eats up rubber lines and fuel bulbs but stabil helps.
I use ethanol free gas from the bulk plant by my house mixed with 50% VP C12 race fuel. Little shit can sit all winter and fires right up! 😁😁

Reactions: gigamortis

I'm starting to wonder if that's the issue because all my issues have been elastomer related. Going battery operated would negate that.

Ego...

Bought the lawn mower a couple years ago...then the snow blower (same batteries - more power than gas) then the string trimmer and then the Nexus Power Station Inverter that powers my *whole fucking house* (sans air conditioning) for the whole night on one set of batteries. Then takes 2 hours to recharge on the gas generator or the house power if it came back on. I can charge my 56 volt Ego batteries in 2 hours on my Wife's car outlet and run the house on the Inverter all night...sits on the stove. No fumes, no noise. Gas is over...can also recharge via solar.

Time to give up the gas shit. The battery shit rocks. Plus the weed whacker reloads the string from bulk literally in 5 minutes and uses the same batteries - All the Ego stuff uses the same batteries for all the devices.

VooDoo

Last edited:
I prefer Echo to Stihl due to ergonomics, but both are excellent.

That said - electric really is the tits for a residential trimmer. Bought my son a Ryobi 18V for his 7th birthday (he asked!) and in short order I bought the stick edger attachment and never even fire up my Stihl hanging in the garage (Echo is in the barn).

Reactions: SilentStalkr
I originally had a Stihl 084 that simply wouldn't die for years...rebuilt the carb a few times and that thing cut more grass than you would believe. It was a favorite model among landscapers back in the day during it's time. I finally gave it away when I bought a Stihl FS130 which I've had for a number of years now as well...it's a solid machine for sure...there's not much that slows it down.

With that said the wife wanted to do some grass work while I was in quarantine because of cancer and treatment...long story. Anyhow the FS130 was a bit much for her so I bought her a milwaukee battery operated one that uses the Fuel batteries...she loves it 👍

Don’t be afraid of the Stihl homeowner trimmers. I have an ~5 year old FS56RC. I abuse the hell out of it clearing hunting properties and my own residence (overgrown and unkept when I bought the property). No issues. Like was suggested, definitely buy the value pack of Stihl brand oil to double your manufacturers warranty.
This.. mine is over 5 years old and I’ve always ran trufuel. Never a single issue. Hell I just cut a 6” pine down yesterday clearing room for a feeder using a renegade blade. :)

Reactions: Anb618
Honda or Stihl. I have been running a Honda 4 stroke trimmer for 8 years now and never had a problem with it.

I'm starting to wonder if that's the issue because all my issues have been elastomer related. Going battery operated would negate that.

Ethanol has been a common component of motor fuel for, oh, a quarter-century or so, but for whatever reason, small equipment manufacturers cannot be bothered to use compatible materials :mad:

Tilting at this particular windmill didn't solve my problems, but switching to ethanol-free gasoline certainly worked wonders.

I think I might try battery powered. I'm only doing light residential trimming. If I need more I'll get a stihl or echo (better warranty). Thank you guys for the advice.

I'll still try and fix this piece of shit troybilt just because it pisses me off.

Reactions: Anointed1
Im the gas powered trimmers I would say Shindaiwa. My crew uses Shindaiwa and Stihl FS95's. The Shindaiwa has better throttle response and more power. They fight over who gets the use the Shindaiwa's. For personal residential use I would say look at battery power. Fuel is what causes most problems in gas machines. Always run it dry before storage even if you use fuel stabilizer. Buy Ethanol Free fuel to reduce problems.

have a homelite must be at least 15 years old, will not die works good.

couple years ago started to invest in some electric stuff for the immediate yard and leave the gas stuff to the rougher parts of the property which do not get worked on a regular basis.

i settled on the ryobi 40v line of yard tools and have not been disappointed at all. got the ryobi 40v brushless expandable trimmer. does not lack power at all. is very convenient and the power head is easy to load. also came with the blades which tear through rougher stuff.

i have been impressed with the 40v stuff, although of course, the ryobi 18v stuff came out later. wasnt a big deal, since for hand tools i went with the 20v dewalt systems.

anyways, thus far i have in the 40v ryobi line...

-brushless push mower
-brushless hedge trimmers
-16in brushless chainsaw (for small/medium cutting).
-brushless expandable trimmer
*edge attachment
*pole saw attachment
*cultivator attachment
-brushless yard blower

all work pretty darn good. the weakest being the push mower, which can bog down some in very thick grass.

again, i just use the stuff to maintain the areas around the house. and while they seem pretty tough, i still prefer gas for the rougher stuff.

No joke I’ve been through like 5 weedeaters. I got an Echo some one threw at the street. I’ve had it for ten years, It was old when I got it. That thing runs like new and cuts like no tomorrow!! I still laugh at it!🤣👍
my echo has been going strong since 2004. just had to swap the carb once.. if i had run ethanol free gas it would have never had a problem

Similar for me. About 10 years ago I bought a Remington 700 ADL in 243 with the nice wood stock at a pawn shop. I asked about an Echo weedeater that was on the shelf that looked in good shape but was missing the air cleaner cover. Somebody probably stole the cover while it was sitting there. They gave me a package deal for it and the rifle $300.

I took it home and put a piece of plastic sheet on the air filter to act as a cover, and it is working fine to this day.

I have a small yard and while the Stihl equipment I bought lasted for a long time, except that fuel with ethanol was the devil and even if it was run to empty, still there would be some of that bastard stuff that would keep gumming it up every winter. It was also a bit of a pain to have to pull out for small jobs.

I moved to running a Dewalt 60V max weed eater and blower and they both had all the power I needed.
They do go through batteries pretty quickly, so you'll need to have spare charged ones for any length of job.

Shindaiwa.....they are expensive but throttle response is is great, and the smoothest you will ever run.

I have a Shindiawa T270 that I bought 27 years ago. All I've ever done to it was replace the spark plug, that's only because my son broke it, and I replaced the trimmer head. It will still start on the third pull every time. I have an edger that's 26 years old, and a blower that's 22 years old. Every one of them still starts on the third or fourth pull.

I have a Shindiawa T270 that I bought 27 years ago. All I've ever done to it was replace the spark plug, that's only because my son broke it, and I replaced the trimmer head. It will still start on the third pull every time. I have an edger that's 26 years old, and a blower that's 22 years old. Every one of them still starts on the third or fourth pull.

If you ever get tired of that you can always throw your shoulder out trying to get the troybilt to start.