• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Weekend coyote w/ Foxpro

jcalaustx

Private
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Austin, TX
Got Foxpro call and mojo as xmas present. Haven't called at our place and was exctied to do so.

Set up Sat morn just after sun up on edge of ~30 acre plowed field surrounded by brush on all sides. Put call/mojo about 100 yards in front of me and lit up adult cottontail distress. Took less than a minute for the crows to come. One of em swooped down and barely missed taking out my spinning mojo. I was feeling pretty good as I assumed the crows' interest meant I was at least using a sound that caused a reaction to surrounding critters. About ten mins later I caught movement in field at about 200 yards and two big coyotes were coming in fast. I attempted to get positioned but they were both moving so fast they made it to the call/mojo before I could shoot and when they realized they had been duped they smoked out of the field full speed. It happend so fast I couldn't believe it. I was so pissed at myself for not literally being down on my gun ready to fire. Even then it would have been tough shooting. Lesson learned. The crows were perched in a big mesquite at about 200 yards so I took my frustration out one of them. Blew one up.

Set up Sun morn same brush line on edge of same field. Put call/mojo closer to me this time. Lit up adult cottontail and positioned myself as I would if I were shooting. Took about ten or fifteen mins and this good size male appeared. He was trotting toward call with head down at about 130 yards when I dropped him. Talk about a rush. Shooting suppressed .223 and figured the shot didn't spook stuff too bad so sat for a few more mins and here came a smaller coyote at full lope. He made it almost all the way to call before I saw him and by the time I got a shot he was smoking out of the field full speed. Hit him in the ass and he spun around a few times before jumping into some thick brush. I didn't much care to crawl through catcus/mesquite to locate his wounded ass but pretty sure he rests with Osama now.

Tons of fun. Can't wait to do it again. Amazed how camo they can be even when you have a good size open field as hunting area.

21nmlbb.jpg

Re: Weekend coyote w/ Foxpro

welcome to the addiction!
grin.gif

always look for movement when coyote hunting. Don't look for coyotes. I try to scan with my eyes constantly.

After 10 or so minutes I will begin looking for a coyote/bobcat that is hung up on the perimeter looking in.

Nice dog, my buddy and I went dog hunting in lockhart a week ago. We had 3 dogs come into tge call but did not get a shot as I was off to the side checking the hog feeder and did not have my rifle. We called in owls, crows and the neighbors dogs. Nothing we were looking for. It is a blast, now im looking for a call of my own.

That a big, heavy looking dog. What no pic with the Crow's feathers?
smile.gif
Good shootin' and +1 to JCH.....welcome to the addiction!

Bet he weighed 50+ pounds which is the biggest I've shot.

Shot this one crossing a sendero while deer hunting in South Texas back in late Nov. Average size for down there. Much smaller.

141shlx.jpg

Hunting in South Texas this weekend. Hoping to have some pics to share upon return.

Question for y'all: I've read/heard that the bird calls are better for cats (wood pecker, lucky bird). Any truth to that?

Also, do y'all run the bird calls just like the rabbit calls (turn them on and let them run continuously or run them for a few mins, shut them off, run them a little, shut em off, etc)?

Thanks.

since cats eat a lot of birds then a lot of people think cats respond better to bird calls. Personally, I think cats respond better to anything high pitched. And be patient, sometime they take forever to get to the call. Anything that wanders in front of them while on the way to you will distract them.

Great job! I have been hunting coyotes since the 80's. It is a lot of fun. Just brought a new primos call and will be heading out next month. I hope this new call works well.

Not to steal your post but something like what you said happened to my neighbor. He set out some geese decoys in a pattern and a yote came out of the woods and spied the closet one to him and went into stalk mode thinking he was in for a good treat, we sir the yote jumped his plastic goose bit it and jumped back in very short time. turned tail and ran. Steve was laughing so hard at what he just saw that he dropped his gun. That ended his day. MM