• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WEEKEND WEATHER WATCH FOR THE SOUTH: Severe thunderstorms advisory.

Blue Sky Country

Urban Cowboy
Minuteman
  • DECEMBER 8, 2023

ADVISORY REGION: EAST TEXAS - LOUISIANA, ARKANSAS, WESTERN MISSISSIPPI, AND TENNESSEE.

developing-storm-system-deliver-widespread-73424162.jpg

A large low pressure system sitting right over the Midwest and the eastern seaboard is bringing a variety of wintry weather from snow and 30-40 mph winds from Chicago to Kansas City, and steady rain all up the east coast.

This same system is colliding with still warm Gulf air and conditions are ripe for heavy thunderstorms this weekend. Like the colossal supercells that spawned the monster EF4s and EF5s that destroyed Mayfield KY and Rolling Fork MS in the previous 2 Decembers, these storms are forecasted to reach maturity well after nightfall and if any "dangerous" features like wall clouds, mesocyclones, and "bear cages" (rain wrapped rotating inflow jets) do appear they can be hard to spot in the darkness unless you operate a mobile Dopplar radar.

STAY TUNED to local networks and storm chaser comms on HAM/CB if you can access these and stay sharp.

Reactions: Schütze
    OH NO! RAIN! EVEN SNOW!!!

We in the northeast are getting the full British Isles experience this weekend. Pro-tip, get all the important stuff done early, and then just as you are chilled, and slightly wet all over, everything is done and you can settle in for a hot meal and hot chocolate/coffee in front of a fire. Christmas lights are a big bonus. It's "pub weather" as our friends across the Pond will call it. 😂

Reactions: lash

That was the nastiest one of the bunch. Caused widespread blackouts in the Midsouth utility system. Multiple transformers and delivery lines got smashed by that particular one.

Supercells that reach maturity after dark are the most concerning. You cannot see anything forming in them unless you are running a mobile Dopplar or trying to catch glimpses through flashes of lightning. And if the tornado forms INSIDE the rear flank downdraft, it is going to be completely wrapped up in rain and completely invisible. Three veteran storm chasers lost their lives at El Reno, Oklahoma in May 2013 when they were caught inside that monster 2.6 mile wide F5. The inflow bands in that beast had 210+mph winds, well outside of the actual rotation...

I’m not a global warming guy but I will say the weather has been getting freaking weirder around here, although that could be a completely natural thing. We’ve only been tracking weather for how long?

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
    I’m not a global warming guy but I will say the weather has been getting freaking weirder around here, although that could be a completely natural thing. We’ve only been tracking weather for how long?
    Not any different here than when I was a kid. It comes in cycles. The outbreak of 73 was almost as bad as the 2011 I renember being in my dads car running from one in 73

Been raining HARD since about 10pm. We’re warm and dry here in the tin can, drinking some coffee and thinking about eating some fresh eggs. Speaking of the chickens, I bet they’re warm and dry too….

Here’s hoping no wind whips up. Tornadoes in the winter are a southern staple.

Been raining HARD since about 10pm. We’re warm and dry here in the tin can, drinking some coffee and thinking about eating some fresh eggs. Speaking of the chickens, I bet they’re warm and dry too….

Here’s hoping no wind whips up. Tornadoes in the winter are a southern staple.
    Where do you reside if you don’t mind me asking?

Well, it depends on who writes about it and what their agenda is when they report it. Read an article earlier this year reporting hottest temperatures in history. Then if you look up the reporting company records the alarm article used, they meant in the last 40 years, since that particular tracking company started recording temperatures. So, apparently the history of weather started in 1983. 🤷🏻‍♂️😂