• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weideners 168gr BTHP

LoneWolfUSMC

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
WTF over?

I bought 500 of these awhile back. I only loaded and shot about 100 of them because they had horrible accuracy. I figured out why. The weights were all over.

So I sort them by weight and get them down to .5gr groups. I throw them in the cabinet and forget about them. Now with components being tight I pull them out and figure they can work for some "fast shooting" drill where bughole accuracy is not required.

I FL Resize from FGMM once fired brass, charge it and seat the bullets to 2.80" so I can magazine load them. I load up 50.

I go out to the range today and run through a dot drill with my FGMM clone load (168 SMK's). They work flawlessly. I decide to switch over to the crap loads to play with the 380 yard gong since a 4 MOA error will still have me on it. I pop open the box and it looks like a jagged mountain peak. About half of the rounds had setback. I ran ten that were still at 2.80" and they shot fine (all on target with reasonable accuracy).

So I pack it up and get home. I take a real close look at the projectiles since EVERYTHING else is the same as my FGMM clone. I even prepped the brass at the same time with the same sizing die.

What I find is that the Wideners "no name" BTHP is longer and narrower than the SMK. It is only .308 diameter right at the base ahead of the boattail. This gives me VERY little space to seat the round. If I seat it to magazine depth it appears that this puts the projectile right at the shoulder of the case. Unless I seat it CRAZY long I can press the bullet back with my fingers.

I ran these before with virgin Winchester brass, but the only thing I can think of is that I may have had more neck tension with the new brass.

So what would you do with this crap?

I am thinking that I may pull them and re-seat them stupid long and just jam the lands and run them single-load. At least I could get some use out of them.

I will definitely not waste my money on them again.

Re: Weideners 168gr BTHP

Man that sucks royally.
I vote you use them for slingshot ammo, because you dont have to worry about the seating depth then.
grin.gif
But really I dont know what you could do with them, except load em long and see what you get.

They are a fucking joke! A friend insisted on trying them after, working up a few loads and a trip to the range I told him not to waste my time with these POS.

A freind of mine had some that he gave me to try and I had the same problem. I gave them back to him.

As far as I'm concerned, they are junk.

Dang that sucks, i just bought some of those to try. I read another thread where they didnt receive such bad reveiews. i will still try them anyways. Probably just end up being plinkers for my FAL. that thing is inaccurate anyways.

CJG

Pieces of crap......

I am reworking the loads today. Looks like I have to load them at 2.90" COL to get enough neck tension to avoid setback.

Guess they will be slowfire only, which is exactly what I DIDN'T want them for. Single loading is about the only option.

Thank god my Nosler Custom Competition 168's should be here today. Got to prep enough brass to load them up. Maybe I can send some downrange tomorrow.

lonewolfusmc,

Try a Lee Factory Crimp Die. They are under $15. bucks most places. Crimp those suckers and shootem'. This die is a good thing to have in your reloading tool box. Lee makes one for about every cartridge known to man. BTW with this die you do not need a cantilure on your bullet.

Bob

I have a factory crimp. The taper on the bullet is so severe that if I seat them at 2.80" It would be outside of the FCD's range. Besides the fact I am not too keen on the amount of pressure that would cause.

Not looking to blow up a rifle to save a couple bucks on bullets. We will just run em long and burn em up. Who knows, maybe they will like less jump and actually turn in some decent accuracy.