• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weigh in on my future build

bluto77

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2012
Houston, TX
It's been a few yeas since I've had a rifle built. I've gotten back on the 'Hide recently, and started learning how much I don't know. After spending way too much time here over the last couple weeks, I've decided on a direction my new build will go in. I'm posting it here so guys can weigh in on it. Everything from asking me why in the hell I would do this, or I'd be stupid to do that, to high-fives and atta-boys for doing it the "right" way (using the same components that you did). I've been talking about shooting in PRS matches for at least 3 years now, but haven't quite made it out to one yet. I started shooting FTR to get some experience shooting in a competition, but I know PRS is going to be a completely different animal, which I welcome. I can shoot fairly decently. Won my division and 3rd overall in my first major match, the Texas State Rifle Association Mid-Range back in 2014. Ok great, so I can lob 20 rounds of .308 into a 1 MOA circle at 600 yards shooting from prone with sighters...PRS is gonna be a little different!

Back to my rifle. I plan on using it as a match rifle for the most part. May deer hunt with it, but I'm not taking that into consideration when putting together this build. I currently have a bad-ass 6.5 Creedmoor built by Chad at LRI on a Mausingfield and it lives bedded in one of his custom inlet Manners T5A Elite. Barrel is one of Chad's in house with the profile he uses on match rifles. Something along the lines of a med palma I believe. I've had a Kahles 6-24 on it at times and a Steiner T5X 5-25. Both light for their class. It's not the lightest rifle in the world. Not overly heavy either, but I'm shooting for a little less weight on this one.

Gunsmith: Omar Alonzo - I'm in Houston, and I want one built locally. I know Omar from Bayou Rifles, where he literally walks on water among the F-Class crowd. He also has a good rep here.

Cartridge: 6.5 Creedmoor or 6mm Creedmoor - I know 6 creed is more competitive, but 6.5 is better for hunting. More importantly, availability of match grade factory ammo is insane for 6.5. My LRI Mausingfield 6.5 shoots in the .3 MOA range with 140gr ELD. I can't load it myself to get much better than that. Now that 6mm creed factory ammo is out, I'm more compelled. My time is limited, so loading is just one more thing to keep me from shooting if I can't shoot factory ammo. Mind you, if I was getting some great improvement by loading, I would, but with as well as my LRI shoots factory stuff it's hard to justify.

Chamber/Throat: Not sure on this one yet. Thinking 147 ELD for 6.5. Not sure on 6mm. Probably 108 ELD. Might get lucky and factory ammo shoots as well in this one. Or go 105 Hybrid and know that I'll have to load for it. I

Action: Curtis Axiom DLC - Want a 60* and was going to go with Tempest until I started reading about them. Like everything I've seen so far about Chase and Curtis Axiom. Plus Texas manufacturer.

Stock: Manners EH1A or PRS1. Have always run T5A but wanted lighter. Love the look of the KMW Sentinel too. Could sway that way. Availability will be important.

Bottom Metal: Prefer not to get mini chassis, but the MPA barricade mini chassis is compelling. I can do the same thing with my Atlas bipod though right? Not sure if it's worth the extra weight. Seeking suggestions here for sure.

Trigger: Huber 2 Stage - Ran these for years with no problems. Love the set up and feel.

Barrel: Have had great luck with Broughton 5C button barrels. 8 Twist on 6.5 and not sure about 6mm. Either 7.3 or 8. I really want to lose some weight here though. Thinking about Proof carbon wrapped barrel and/or some other carbon wrapped barrel co. If I go that route, then most likely sticking with 6.5. If I go the 6mm route, I would probably get 2 barrels spun up when getting the build done. Hard enough to justify $800 for a barrel. No possible way I would get 2 of them for the 6mm!!!

Will probably run a TBAC Ultra 7 suppressor. I'm thinking that could balance out the rifle if I went with the carbon wrapped barrel. If not then I would need suggestions on a break. Don't really want to use a brake.

I'm sure I"m leaving something out, but that's all I can think of for now. I welcome any and all comments and suggestions.

Ok, I'll bite. Why don't you just use the seemingly ideal one you already have to compete with?

Great question. It would make too much sense right? To begin with, I've been wanting to get a rifle built by Omar for awhile now.

This all started with my recent discovery of a couple of things. The first being there is a range 1 hr from me that I can shoot steel out to 1100 - 1200 yards, and later found out said range holds a monthly Texas Precision Rifle Club match. Not having a convenient place to shoot PRS style matches and just practice PRS style shooting in general has been a big reason I haven't participated in it yet. Also discovered that 6mm Creedmoor factory ammo is now available. And kind of wanting to get a 6mm Creedmoor for a true competition rifle, since the 6mm will give the most competitive edge (as I understand), and since there's factory ammo available, might as well explore that option right? And kind of wanted to start off in the production class to avoid being "that guy" with all top notch equipment that doesn't have a clue. All those "Kind of's" started adding up. Plus there's a Bergara that seems to be shit-hot right now....so kinda wanted to give that a whirl. Knew it would fit perfectly into production class. And there's a Burris out that's shit-hot and fits the same production category. You can see how this "plan" started to all come together. So I'm getting a Bergara B-14 HMR and a Burris XTRII 5-25 to learn about how the PRS game works shooting in production class. In the meantime, I can be getting a new rifle built.

We all have a justification process...welcome to mine!!!

In order to fund all of this, I need to sell some stuff. The LRI Mausingfield will likely be one of those things. Also have a POF 6.5 Creedmoor, USO MST-100 that wasn't being used on a M40 build that didn't happen (just sold), an entire FTR turn-key rig, etc.

As I type this, I guess the real answer to your question is I needed to re-configure the financial situation. Lots of money tied up in the LRI and the FTR rig for example. By selling some expensive things, I can re-configure the stable and even add a couple things I've been wanting. Such as a dedicated hunting rifle. Or maybe build out the match rifle light enough to use as a hunting rifle, but that means going 6.5 instead of 6mm. All these what-if's, questions, and conundrums lead me to do the only rational thing I could think of.....START A THREAD ON THE 'HIDE!!!

Ok, I'll bite. Why don't you just use the seemingly ideal one you already have to compete with?

IMG_0493.JPG

I'm confused as to how this works out numbers-wise. You'd be selling a custom rifle, so you'd be taking a fairly hefty loss. Then you'd be getting another one built with parts that aren't really much different cost-wise from the one you currently have. So you'd be taking a net loss anyway in going this route, it wouldn't really free up any cash for anything. Why is it that you can't just get a 6mm barrel for your Mausingfield build and have both 6.5 and 6mm? I mean if the reason is that you just want a change of pace, then have at it. Just from a purely practical perspective I don't see how it makes much sense.

Also the idea of starting off in production class so you're not "that guy" seems a bit unnecessary. Why not put a fraction of the money you'd spend getting a production class rig set up on a PRS oriented class instead? That way you're not buying another rifle for no reason and can practice with the rig you hope to use in future competitions. And the idea of the production class rig is predicated on there being a wait time for the build that I'm still not sure as to why you'd want in the first place.

Disclaimer: I'm way out of my depth and sleep deprived, sorry if I sound like an idiot.

Blake, come out to the central match in October (second Saturday), or come down to the south match this Sunday at Rifles Only. Bring the Mausingfield and sling some lead! You'll see what everyone else runs which I think would help make a good decision very quickly. And yea, Omar builds a hell of a rifle. I picked 6.5 simply because the barrel life is so much better and it will give me more range time before having to chamber another. Until I figure out the positions and how to run my rifle well, I don't think I will see any performance advantage to either the 6.5 or 6. I would say most new shooters are in the same boat.

There's advice from a guy more qualified than most! You crossed over to PRS? Are you shooting at the club matches on Navasota?

Regarding the rifle, you're sticking with 6.5 now. That speaks volumes to me. When it comes to pure sbooting, you can likely out-shoot everybody at any given PRS match, yet concerned enough about positional shooting to forgo the ballistic advantages of the 6. I don't know anything about positional shooting. Never even watched a video on it or anything. That got me thinking to get lightest rifle I can get. Do you think the carbon fiber wrapped barrel is worth it?

I don't know if there is any advantage to the CF barrels for PRS. They jump more under recoil even if you get it balance well and it feels like the lighter guns are harder to hold still in position as well. I prefer a bit heavier for that reason, but maybe someone with more experience in PRS will chime in on that.

Ive shot a few of the club matches in Navasota,and have been humbled in all of them. Totally different game than high power and I am definitely getting schooled at this point. It's a ton of fun though, very fast paced and you never sit still like f class. It seems like you are either on the kestrel, the gun, or watching and trying to pick up on how to approach the next stage.

There's advice from a guy more qualified than most! You crossed over to PRS? Are you shooting at the club matches on Navasota?

Regarding the rifle, you're sticking with 6.5 now. That speaks volumes to me. When it comes to pure sbooting, you can likely out-shoot everybody at any given PRS match, yet concerned enough about positional shooting to forgo the ballistic advantages of the 6. I don't know anything about positional shooting. Never even watched a video on it or anything. That got me thinking to get lightest rifle I can get. Do you think the carbon fiber wrapped barrel is worth it?

Absolutely not. It's nearly 3x the cost of the regular barrel for a 1lb-1.5lb worth of weight savings. I think if you have the money they're probably worth it for a hunting rifle. For something that's going to get shot repeatedly and run pretty hard, i'd stick with 350$ steel.

As to your choice of rifle the current build you have will be fine. If you're just itching to build another, i can understand that. I'm a pretty huge fan of 60 degree 3-lugs. I run a Tempest which has been pretty much flawless, though i understand your concern with it as it seems on here at least that some have had problems. Though i'd like to think that plenty don't have an issue with theirs and just aren't on the hide. It's selling well last i checked. Until Curtis fields a swept bolt handle i'm pretty partial to my tempest. I also honestly prefer the design of the Tempest lugs as well. More or less reminiscent of an AI AT in a 700 footprint with it's 6 lugs. I'm one of those that feels a swept handle on a 60 degree 3-lug action is a must have. Though i know plenty are fine with the range of motion of the Axiom. The proprietary DLC coating Chase is working on seems to be something special too, a friend of mine has one and loves it. Shane here has both and i know he's spoke very highly of his Curtis. I think he might of had a break in period with his Tempest. Though i've personally not had that.

In caliber choice idk that i'd say 6mm is more competitive than 6.5. Yes it's less recoil but basically your shots past 800 will be about wind calls, fundamentals, and solid DOPE. Of which i'd rather have the 6.5 for the greater wind deflection or less wind drift. There's also the short barrel life on the 6mm that keeps me away. I know guys get hung up on elevation but drop to get to the target is really irrelevant. Whether i can get to 1000yds in 9 Mils and my friend can do it in 8.7 Mils with his 6mm, it's all about windage.

As for the can i suggest a TBAC CB brake and the Ultra 7. I've shot my can in every match i've shot but going back to brakes recently realized that the brake has more recoil reduction, much more really. Sure you get the concussive boom but without the 9"/7" of extra length and again less recoil. That or a Area 419 Hellfire brake so you can run both. My friend i started PRS with used to use his can exclusively and now doesn't as well. I'm probably going to shoot my next match braked but haven't decided. Part me wants to use the can cause i waited on it for so long.

Thanks for the info 5RWill. I feel like I already know you since I've read so many of your posts lately. Read more from you on the Tempest than anyone else. Trust me, I wanted to get one. Tried to convince myself, but there's just too many negative reviews regarding functionality. I've been around here long enough to know that if something negative is said about a GAP product, guys will come out of the woodwork defending them, and rightfully so. GAP has earned that. Everything I've had from them has been top notch. But I noticed that hasn't happened with the Tempest. (It should be noted, I know GAP does not produce the Tempest)

I know my LRI is perfect for PRS. That's what it was designef for. Chad makes a bad-ass rifle. Nothing but respect for him and his crew. But I am itching to get something on a 60* action. Also want something built by Omar. Hence, I have manufactured a "need" for myself!!!

Sounds like the CF barrel is a no go.

I've been educated today. I thought 6 also has less drift than 6.5. I actually care less about flat and more about wind resistance. FTR taught me it's all about wind at the end of the day. If they're the same, then too many other benefits of 6.5 to move away from it at this juncture.

Are most guys running a med palma with no flutes?

I know my LRI is perfect for PRS. That's what it was designef for. Chad makes a bad-ass rifle. Nothing but respect for him and his crew. But I am itching to get something on a 60* action. Also want something built by Omar. Hence, I have manufactured a "need" for myself!!!

Ditching a Mausingfield for a 60° 3 lug anything is just dumb.

Are most guys running a med palma with no flutes?

Medium/Heavy/Marksman - whatever you like. But, fluting barrels is also dumb.

I'm not trying to be mean, just succinct.

Last edited:
I appreciate your candor.

I agree on the fluting. It may not be dumb, per se, but it doesn't serve the purpose most think it does.

I have a Mausingfield. I like it. I want a 60* action. I don't think I'm in a position to have both.

Could you please elaborate on the dumbness of ditching a Mausingfield for a 60° 3 lug anything?

Sell yoir f t/r rig. Sell what ever you dont need/want. Build it how you want. But your going to loose your ass on the LRI and have the same thing except maybe run AW mags better and have a heavier bolt lift in a PRS rifle wher fast cycling and minimal disturbance are inportant.
I dont know you and please dont be offended but i think this is a boredom build. Now if you NEED to move the LRI for financial reasons, want the Begera to fill the gap until you can build a replacement custom with some changes you want then go for it. Hell go for it no matter what cause they are your guns, its your money, and its America.

Had a chance to speak with Omar Alonzo today. Asked him about the Curtis Axiom, and turns out he's been building quite a few rifles on it, and (if I remember correctly) is running one himself. He really likes the action and knows Chase (I've said that guys name a few times like I know him, and I don't...just repeating what I've seen posted here) and speaks very highly of him. Matches everything I've read here.

Decided to push to sell the FTR rig first, and maybe one or two other items, and hold onto the LRI Mausingfield for now. The rifle does shoot lights out, and after reading some things Chad has written about the Mausingfield, some feedback here, along with thinking about it quite a bit lately, it seems to make more sense to hold onto it. If I end up liking the Curtis action and rifle from Omar more for PRS, then I can always pull the barrel off the Mausingfield and have something different built on it. Since the Mausingfield bolt head can be swapped out, may even go to a 6.5 SAUM for hunting. Since the stock is one of Chad's custom inlet jobs using one of his barrels, all I'd have to do it get another barrel with the same profile and it would be a perfect fit. Problem with the LRI rifle is there is so much damn money tied up in that custom inletted stock. I've got an idea on what I could do with it. I'll start another thread for that.

Going to stick with 6.5 Creedmoor and get chamber throated for 147 ELD. Preferably going with a heavy palma (depending on available Manners I find). Seems like every one I find that I like has a M24/MTU barrel channel. If the only available Manners I want that I can find has MTU channel, then I might go with MTU and flute it. Not sue what the weight difference would be on that vs unfluted heavy palma and/or if a heavy palma would look that bad in a MTU channel. Basically, the distance between the barrel and the edge of the channel would not be uniform the entire length of the stock. Pretty sure that would bother me.

Bottom metal on the Manners: Is the barricade bottom metal worth the extra weight? Can't I do the same thing with the Atlas bipod?

Bottom metal on the Manners: Is the barricade bottom metal worth the extra weight?

I think so. It's not much weight, and it will protect your magazine from banging up against the barricade or getting pinched by your bag. When you shoot the barricades you will be setting the rifle at the balance point of your rifle, which is right at the magazine, and more often than not pressing it into the barricade a bit. Most chassis' come with something similar built in.

Good point. I didn't think about the balance point of the rifle being right there. Makes sense.