• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weigh in on my next coyote rifle build

Leveraction35

Private
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2022
Pennsylvania
I’m in the beginning stages of building/assembling my next coyote specific rifle. I do prefer bolt action rifles, but I would surely consider an AR platform, the weight was always what turned me off to ARs for hunting. 95% of my hunting is done at night so a “dead right there” caliber would be preferred. Where I hunt, I seriously doubt I will ever shoot more than 250 yards, its just not possible. I also need a threaded barrel… lastly, I’d prefer not to blow them into smithereens, I like to keep the nicer furs

Currently in shoot a 223 savage axis, VERY accurate, but it’s isn’t threaded, I hate the Oryx chassis and there isn’t much aftermarket accessories available for the Axis line. With the 223 I’ve had a handful of coyotes make it 150 yards before dying which was a pain in the rear at night to find in tall grass.

Let me know what you guys are shooting.

Tikka makes great lightweight rifles, but I think tactical ones come threaded and are heaver but are still not super heavy.

PB

Last edited:
Reactions: Leveraction35
I built an AR-15 in 224 Valkyrie exactly for this purpose. With 60 grain bullets hits hard without completely wrecking fur, so they drop right there. Semi auto for easy follow ups with thermal scopes and not having to run a bolt. Mines heavy, but that was done on purpose because I used a 20” JP heavy barrel. You could also build a light one, carbon fiber would be interesting. Suppressor for sure. Shoots about 5/8” with factory ammo. I couldn’t be more pleased with it.

Browning X-Bolt is a great lightweight 22-250 and I believe it comes threaded right out of the box. I think they weigh around 6 pounds. I run a Remington 700 action with a varmint barrel so it's heavy as hell.

In my experience the 55 v max is one of the most fur friendly bullets.

A 22-250 isn't going to shoot it 4000fps at safe pressure though.
I've definitely heard guys who keep hides say the VMax works. I've just personally seen them blow out hides now and then. I don't save hides, so I didn't give it much thought and just went "huh" and moved along to the next one.

I reload my 22-250's with Varget and 50 grain VMAX and see no pressure signs at 4000fps. I'm running a 1:14 twist though.

I've definitely heard guys who keep hides say the VMax works. I've just personally seen them blow out hides now and then. I don't save hides, so I didn't give it much thought and just went "huh" and moved along to the next one.

I reload my 22-250's with Varget and 50 grain VMAX and see no pressure signs at 4000fps. I'm running a 1:14 twist though.
How long is your barrel?

I’m in the beginning stages of building/assembling my next coyote specific rifle. I do prefer bolt action rifles, but I would surely consider an AR platform, the weight was always what turned me off to ARs for hunting. 95% of my hunting is done at night so a “dead right there” caliber would be preferred. Where I hunt, I seriously doubt I will ever shoot more than 250 yards, its just not possible. I also need a threaded barrel… lastly, I’d prefer not to blow them into smithereens, I like to keep the nicer furs

Currently in shoot a 223 savage axis, VERY accurate, but it’s isn’t threaded, I hate the Oryx chassis and there isn’t much aftermarket accessories available for the Axis line. With the 223 I’ve had a handful of coyotes make it 150 yards before dying which was a pain in the rear at night to find in tall grass.

Let me know what you guys are shooting.
Sounds like a mid-length carbon fiber barrel in any flavor of 22 centerfire with an HNT26 would be ideal. That’s what I am working on anyway. TL3 and a couple of prefits and you have a versatile setup.

Attachments

• 3994B75D-7F78-45FA-BA6A-15BF53CDB200.jpeg
    3994B75D-7F78-45FA-BA6A-15BF53CDB200.jpeg
    364.2 KB · Views: 59
"Fur friendly" is more a function of placement than the bullet itself in my experience. You. Blow up a shoulder with any bullet and it could go either way. I've seen 50gr bullets blow head sized exits, and 180gr bullets pencil right through. I've also seen the opposite.

Really off the wall here :)
22 Nosler.
Complaints about gas related issues in an AR, are just that. Gas related.
In a bolt gun many barrel makers will make a barrel to your order.
Twist, length, profile, threading, and even chamber to your dummies, short or long.
Dogtown brass, currently on sale @ Midway, or 55 grain polymer tipped flat based factory ammo.
With the right barrel parameters light bullets moving fast or heavy bullets (correct twist).
Not quite a 22-250, but more like a 224V Big Brother. I don't do light bullets though. Heavies crossing the 600 yd line @ 2000fps, easily supersonic PAST a 1000. :)

Last edited:
How long is your barrel?
Sorry, replied to myself... LOL
Looked up my load development. 3995 fps out of the Remington 700 26" barrel using 38.0 grains of Varget and a 50gr VMax set .020 off of the lands. Clocked with a Garmin Xero C-1 doppler.

COAL is 2.46
Bottom of Case to Ogive is 2.062

can't believe no one has said 6 or 6.5 creed

availability and price of ammo & components is just too good for me to consider anything else

Reactions: Coyote777
There are lots of great shooting calibers and rifles suggested above, but the OP specified fur friendly and 250 yds max.
If those really are priorities he should look at 17 and 20 cal options. 17 fireball, 17 Remington, 204 ruger 20 practical, etc.

Look at what serious predator hunters use when fur hunting.

It’s hard to beat a shorty 16-18” 22creed or 6creed! Still plenty fast and flat for nighttime varmits. If you reload you can get really nasty with either one by running some lighter bullets and still have a short yet flat night rig.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
Fur friendly leans more toward the fast 22s and away from the 6mm. You can get a 40g 20 cal bullet screaming fast. I don't expect it would anchor them like the fast 22s. I haven't called at all for few years now and haven't ever shot a coyote with my 20 practical. It's plenty entertaining on p dogs.

Fur condition is more about shot placement than cartridge. You can blow them up with a 223 with poor placement. I’ve shot about 180 of them with a 6 creed shooting 87gr vmax in the past year and most have no exit wound at all, shoulder shots or square in the chest.

Fur friendly leans more toward the fast 22s and away from the 6mm. You can get a 40g 20 cal bullet screaming fast. I don't expect it would anchor them like the fast 22s. I haven't called at all for few years now and haven't ever shot a coyote with my 20 practical. It's plenty entertaining on p dogs.
Really it’s just shot placement and bullet selection. I have a 18” 6creed sending 70g Noslers @3280 and it’s not horrible on fur. Don’t recommend gut shooting it cause it will blow up.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
It's not really just shot placement. Yes you can rake and mess up the hide with anything. But some stuff is going mess up furs a lot more and lot more often. I say this as someone who has sewn up bullet holes and sold furs. I can say with certainty the 243 was always harder on furs than the 22-250. Even when we tried the 58 v max. It was worse than the 75g Seirra hp. At the end of the day in peak fur season it was worth taking a 223 instead of a 243 in case you got some good ones. Furs are only good in Oct and Nov around here. Then they start bluing. They haven't been worth messing with since about 1995.