• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weigh your Suppressor

EmanP

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
May 7, 2005
WA
In the latest podcast Frank says to weight the suppressor to see when it's accumulated enough crap to need cleaning. He mentions (jokingly I'm sure) if it weight twice as much as it used to it's time to clean it.

So, if as it gets dirty it gets heavier and adding weight to the end of a barrel changes POI wouldn't that mean that you'd have a 'walking' POI? As it is I get a 2.5" shift on my 24" Tikka barrel.

And how do you guys measure velocity since you can't get a Magnetospeed on there when it's attached.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why can't I edit the title or delete this entire thing?

I’ve cleaned my can once since I took it home. Had approx. 800 rounds on it and never noticed a POI change. I’m closer to 1k on it now and still shoots fine. I know many other guys have a ton more rounds than that Andy haven’t cleaned.

As for a magnetospeed, I can attach mine to the can, just don’t use the mirage cover.

In the latest podcast Frank says to weight the suppressor to see when it's accumulated enough crap to need cleaning. He mentions (jokingly I'm sure) if it weight twice as much as it used to it's time to clean it.

So, if as it gets dirty it gets heavier and adding weight to the end of a barrel changes POI wouldn't that mean that you'd have a 'walking' POI? As it is I get a 2.5" shift on my 24" Tikka barrel.

And how do you guys measure velocity since you can't get a Magnetospeed on there when it's attached.

Magnetospeed V3 works with or without a can but may cause a POI shift on some rifles. Another option is lab radar which doesn't attach to your rifle at all.

There are also systems to mount a Magneto speed to a bar that runs to tour muzzle instead of around your can or muzzle. This helps eliminate the POI shiftf rom attaching something to the end of your barrel. Can't remember the manufacturer.

I'll defer to someone else on the other questions.

The magneto works on a suppressor, the flat piece of rubber is for the strap on the suppressor.

the weight thing is not really a POI shift problem, I suppose you can zero one once and see if starts to move over time, but a lot adds into that equation

Centerfire cans rarely have to be cleaned, to begin with.

My wife said I'm not allowed to listen to The Everyday Sniper anymore. After listening to Frank talk about suppressors, I went out to Mile High today and purchased a new Thunder Beast Ultra.

My wife said I'm not allowed to listen to The Everyday Sniper anymore. After listening to Frank talk about suppressors, I went out to Mile High today and purchased a new Thunder Beast Ultra.
Listen to Frank, not your wife. Also, have a good mancave for hiding.

Reactions: 6gunner