• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weighing 338 LM cases

jambau

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2010
PA
So with my smaller capacity cases I am meticulous about everything so I do weigh cases. However, with the larger capacity cases like the 338 LM (I just bought my first), I understand that I can relax my standards a bit. My question, for those of you that sort cases, what is the maximum differential you accept? I just weighed a batch of S&B and a batch of PPU that I had fired. The S&B varied 5.1 gr. between the heaviest and lightest cases and the PPU varied 6.8 gr. And before I get slammed: I know all about the higher quality brass out there and I already have 200 Lapua cases on the bench and they will also be sorted.

I get .5" accuracy at the 100yrd. mark with my .300 win mag on average.
I am a hunter first and foremost, but certainly shoot more paper targets than the average guy.
I use Winchester brass for my mag rifles. It lasts me many loadings with a few annealing processes. But, it must be sorted for accuracy.
I have found that a good rule of thumb is around no more than 8grains average for reasonable distance shooting accuracy, out to around 600yrds or so.
The Winchester brass I have bought in the past has had several out of a hundred pieces that were 15+ grains heavy.
I'm a cheap skate, so I don't pitch them. I put them in lots and save the for load development and for finding high pressure with new powders.
But there is nothing wrong with going for perfection in consistency.
But tight groups can be had with more attention to powder charge and bullet seating.

I got 4.39gr. range with Lapua brass and 4.46gr. with Peterson. Hardly any difference.

I did segregate by weight for load development testing but now that I've found it each will be treated as one lot.

Thanks for the replies. With such a big difference between the S&B vs. the PPU I bought 40 Hornady cases. They have a variance of 8.2 grains. They will be treated as one lot. The PPU and S&B will be treated as separate lots and used for load development. The PPU is HEAVY stuff.

im guessing your dry weighing? if yes then take the heaviest and the lightest load with the same charge and shoot over your chrony...INTERNAL case capacity is whats more important...if you really want to be meticulous then weigh your cases with water.

47guy,

Correct. I am weighing dry cases. Maybe I'm just at the point where I'm about to go from meticulous to flat out anal.

I just read my original post and realized I forgot state that the variance between the lightest PPU case nd the heaviest S&B case is 25 grains. I don't believe I'm being too anal in thinking this is way too much difference.

47guy,

Correct. I am weighing dry cases. Maybe I'm just at the point where I'm about to go from meticulous to flat out anal.

I just read my original post and realized I forgot state that the variance between the lightest PPU case nd the heaviest S&B case is 25 grains. I don't believe I'm being too anal in thinking this is way too much difference.

yes thats a pretty big spread and id be concerned myself.
that said i do not shoot big bores anymore...mostly because they just do not interest me much. if it were me id weigh all those cases with water and go from there.