• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weighing Cases

Raven 6

Minuteman
Oct 29, 2006
Blue Ridge
Does weighing cases help any? How about checking the volume of the cases? Tring to get max accuracy for an upcoming match, looking for any advantage, but if this doesn't improve things much I don't want to waste my time. Please only respond if you have done this and know first hand.

Re: Weighing Cases

What type of match are you shooting? if its a Tac match.....where all you have to do is hit the steel, I just load the ammo with the same lot of bullets and brass. If its an "F" class match, I weigh the cases and the bullets, then throw the powder and weigh the loaded round again. I segregate the loaded rounds by .010 into different groups. I dont measure the volume of the cases. This has worked very well for me in the past.

It is an "Egg Shoot". First stage is shooting 60mm skeet at 425yds, second stage is shooting eggs at 500yds. All shooting will be from a bench. I've never weighed cases or rounds for any other matches I've shot, but as you can see this will be a challenge and I want every advantage I can get.

Rather than weigh your cases, sharpen your wind reading skills.

Weighing cases is a ploy intended to extrapolate case capacities, but unfortunately, the two are not all that directly related.

If you want to compare volumes to find equality between case, then go right to the source and measure their volumes.

I use a drop tube and the powder I'll actually be using for my loads. I drop a charge that overfills each primed case, then weigh and compare the resulting filled weights.

This provides a comparison that's made with your components, measured on your equipment, and doesn't rely on secondhand data or maybe/if extrapolations made on the basis of case weights.

Now then, does it help? For practical shooting with a good solid variance-tolerant match load, probably not much. For Benchrest and similar extreme accuracy applications, like yours, it probably all helps, and I'd seriously consider doing it.

Greg

weighing cases won't squeeze as much accuracy as measuring bearing surface and weighing bullets. This shows up beyond 400 yards.

Don't get me wrong it helps... but as Greg said, the volume is really what you are after.