• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weight Sorting Brass? - 338 Edge

AJBello

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2008
Salem, OR
So, I've never weight sorted brass. Always kinda viewed it as something benchresters do, and it probably wouldn't make much (any?) difference for my purposes.

Now I find myself doing some brass prep for my upcoming 338 Edge build. Intended purposes for that rifle will be LR target / hunting, with target shots out to beyond 1000, which is kind of a new realm for me. Given the nature of that game, I decided to weight sort the Rem brass after doing other prep to it. It started out as virgin Rem 300 RUM brass, and I did the following:

-Neck up to .338
-F/L size
-Trim to length with Giraud
-Tumble for a short time to remove lube / brass shavings

(side note - the primer pockets all looked pretty good to my eye, no noticeable burrs or "hanging chads", all appeared centered)

I then weight sorted them on my RCBS chargemaster and ended up with this:

BrassSort.jpg

Out of 80 pieces, the low was 266.8 grains, high was 271.1. If I take out 10 or so cases between the two extremes, the remaining 70 are within about 2 grains of each other. Seeing how that's less than 1% off the total case weight, I thought that was pretty good. As I've never weight sorted before though, I don't really know!

The brass is still sitting on my bench, as pictured. I'm kind of at a loss for what to do with it at this point. How to divide it up, sort it, or whatever. With my 308 I normally load in 50 round "batches". My intent with the Edge is to load in 20 round "batches", simply because I'll probably shoot it a little less at a time (those 300 grain SMKs aren't cheap
wink.gif
).

I'd like a little input on which avenue to take:

1 - Take the 10 lowest, 10 highest, and relegate that batch to zeroing / fouling / 100 yard work / etc. Divide the remaining 60 in 20 / 20 / 20 from low to high.

2 - Divide the whole lot into 20 / 20 / 20 / 20 from low to high, including the extremes.

3 - Jumble the whole lot together and disregard the entire weight sorting thing.

4 - Other?

I suppose at this point I'm leaning toward option 1, simply because I've already sorted them, and I plan to divide them into 20 round batches anyhow. Whatever I do it was an interesting exercise to see how the brass worked out. Thanks for any input.

Re: Weight Sorting Brass? - 338 Edge

Do you have a proven load you shoot yet? If not, I would do my load work up on the 269-270 weight brass. Once you found a good load, I would load up 5 or 10 of the brass with the highest and lowest weight, and shoot it at 300+ yards over a chrono and see how they do. I doubt you will notice any difference. I have not seen any difference in my testing.
When weight sorting, it doesn't get you known info on the internal volume, which is the point. When manufactures make the brass, they cut the web and this size varies. That is the thickest part of the case, and holds the most weight. Match brass has better tolerances, but Rem and Win brass vary. I think if you take some measuements on the web area, you will see the very light cases probably have more web area taken out.
Now that you have them sorted, the next issue is to keep track of each case. I've tried, and it's a PITA. Try the lowest and highest weight testing, and see what you get. That will answer your question if it's worth it.

For all practical purposes, that's pretty damn good, compared percentage wise to the overall case weight.

I'm in exactly the same boat, as I'm just starting to prep 200 Edge cases. I wasn't planning to weight sort at all, but may now just to compare with your findings.

Twer me, I might just keep the two heaviest, and the 1 or 3 lightest, and lump the rest. I like to keep dummy rounds seated with one of each bullet I intend to shoot, which make a good home for the odd balls.

I would go with option 1 of your choices, however my first option would be to try some nosler brass its what I used on my 338 edge and it was amazingly better than the remington and didn't cost that much more. nosler comes weight sorted and beautifully prepped primer pockets and chamfered necks inside and out.

Chad - No proven load yet as the rifle isn't even built
smile.gif
. Still waiting on Kreiger and McMillan, although both <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">should</span></span> be here within a week or two. Already have action / fat bastard brake / Seekins DBM on hand.

The reason there's only 80 pieces sorted is I already loaded 20 random pieces with a starting load, before this whole weight sorting thing popped into my head. If that turns out to be a decent load then maybe I'll match it with some of the extreme weight brass (high / low), and also with some identical weight, and see if there's any difference.

Thanks for the insight on the web cutting and what it does to the weight. I figured case weight was (more or less) indicative of the internal volume. Interesting...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJBello</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the insight on the web cutting and what it does to the weight. I figured case weight was (more or less) indicative of the internal volume. Interesting... </div></div>
You're welcome. I would use water for determining the internal volume. It would provide more info than weighing, IMO.

diggler - I looked at the Nosler brass, but couldn't find any in stock. Was at my local sporting goods place a while ago and they had the two bags of Rem brass in stock... I jumped on it. I'd probably still try some Nosler if I could find it (although I wasn't extremely impressed with the longevity of it in my 308 - primer pockets
frown.gif
).

I also seem to recall reading that Shawn Carlock uses plain ol' Rem brass in his Edges, but might be mistaken. His results with the Edge are obviously impressive...

At times I still consider making the switch to 338 Lapua before the rifle is built (just for the sake of Lapua brass), but I've already got brass, dies, and Giraud die for the Edge. I'm inclined to stick with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You're welcome. I would use water for determining the internal volume. It would provide more info than weighing, IMO. </div></div>

I read about that and considered it... my main thought on that is it would be tough to get it absolutely consistent. I.E., same meniscus on the water each time without going over, etc? It sounds really tedious!
eek.gif

I think I'm more inclined to forget the whole weight sorting thing altogether than go to that extreme.
wink.gif

Water's messy and is overly affected by things like surface tension, etc. Even when you get an accurate measurement, water is not powder. For one thing, water is not compressible, powder can be, so load densities can be affected by packing/dropping charges.

Time was, I'd measure newly resized, primed cases by overfilling them with my loading powder using a drop tube. I'd weigh what remained in the case. This gave me a comparison that has a meaning, one which has a direct relationship to the propellant I'm actually using, and has at least some relationship to real load density percentages.

But fact is, I don't do anything like that anymore. When I tested to find a real correlation between case capacities and accuracy, I found that the capacities only had a marginal bearing on accuracy. These days, if I weigh at all, the only consequence is that I cull the worst 4 or 5 outside the average 'mutts' and hold them aside for use as sighter/foulers.

Greg