• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Physical Fitness Weighted Vest for kids

Bear Pit Exercise Routine

AngryKoala

Old Salt
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2020
I'm trying to get my son (7years old) to improve his speed and strength. He's not in a bad spot now for his age but I want him to improve more. I know he's not supposed to start free weights yet but push-ups , sit ups and squats (body weight) aren't really doing anything.

I was thinking about a weighted vest and having him do sprints, push-ups squats and situps with the vest on.

Thoughts from football parents?

Yeah, he’s 7……

Don’t be one of those guys…

Ah so when he asks how can I get better I should just tell him you're 7 nothing I can do...got it. Thanks for your input or lack there of.

Just remember! Don’t overdo the training. I would do agility drill stuff. Ladders, cone drills etc. He can do body weight stuff in small amounts. Also maybe get him a parachute to run with. I’m not for a weighted vest at his age. You have one time to do it right. Don’t screw it up. Also, let him be a kid! Not saying you don’t but I’ve seen it too many times with never a good result!

Just going by your post.

“I'm trying to get my son (7years old) to improve his speed and strength. He's not in a bad spot now for his age but I want him to improve more.”

I missed the part where he was asking you how to improve. You can’t force growth at 7yrs old and you shouldn’t try. You are going to cause more problems than good. If he really wants to improve then just get out and help him drill/practice.

If you are doing it because you want to see him be the best then you’re doing it for the wrong reasons.

Hold him off the roids until at least 9 when the scouts can get a good look at him.

Just going by your post.

“I'm trying to get my son (7years old) to improve his speed and strength. He's not in a bad spot now for his age but I want him to improve more.”

I missed the part where he was asking you how to improve. You can’t force growth at 7yrs old and you shouldn’t try. You are going to cause more problems than good. If he really wants to improve then just get out and help him drill/practice.

If you are doing it because you want to see him be the best then you’re doing it for the wrong reasons.

Hold him off the roids until at least 9 when the scouts can get a good look at him.

I don't really care if he's good at sports; I only care about his academics and I do force him to do a little extra in that department.

He hates losing and everytime it happens he asks what he could do to win. So my default response is become stronger/faster. Obviously then he wants to know how to do that. That's when we started bodyweight stuff (doc said it was fine and wouldn't affect growth). Now it doesn't have much affect.

Wrestling is 100% different and I tell him he has to practice his technique. Maybe I didn't explain correctly at first and hopefully this explains it a little better.

Also, cute little roid comment.

Reactions: Rerun7
Just remember! Don’t overdo the training. I would do agility drill stuff. Ladders, cone drills etc. He can do body weight stuff in small amounts. Also maybe get him a parachute to run with. I’m not for a weighted vest at his age. You have one time to do it right. Don’t screw it up. Also, let him be a kid! Not saying you don’t but I’ve seen it too many times with never a good result!

There isn't much of a chance to over-train here due to a lack of spare time. Good advice, I'll look into the parachute (he does cones at practice)

He spends more time being a kid and gets to do more than I ever did so that's definitely not a problem.

Reactions: Snipe260
A 7yr old does not need to be wearing a weight vest. How's his diet?

I was thinking like 2-3lbs on the vest but going to steer clear of it. Diets good but he's so damn active (playing with friends, swimming ect) I'm not sure he's eating enough to gain anything.

I was thinking like 2-3lbs on the vest but going to steer clear of it. Diets good but he's so damn active (playing with friends, swimming ect) I'm not sure he's eating enough to gain anything.
Also remember this. He can and will make gains in all things as he grows Fromm year to year. You won’t help a ton on strength training and such till he hits puberty. Then you could make some good jumps.

Just go out and play with him.

Lol I do, pretty sure every dad does. One of the only things I look forward to after work (except in the winter).

Also remember this. He can and will make gains in all things as he grows Fromm year to year. You won’t help a ton on strength training and such till he hits puberty. Then you could make some good jumps.

True, I just didn't know if there was something I could be doing now. Like in wrestling (PA) they take it very serious at a very young age and they train year around for hours and hours a day. They incorporate strength training at a very young age and these are the kids winning the state tournament.

I took him out of that because he got burned out (my decision) but there has to be a medium between over training and not training enough....I just don't know what that is at this age.

It's just tough seeing your kid upset he lost and asking how to get better without having a great answer.

Lol I do, pretty sure every dad does. One of the only things I look forward to after work (except in the winter).

True, I just didn't know if there was something I could be doing now. Like in wrestling (PA) they take it very serious at a very young age and they train year around for hours and hours a day. They incorporate strength training at a very young age and these are the kids winning the state tournament.

I took him out of that because he got burned out (my decision) but there has to be a medium between over training and not training enough....I just don't know what that is at this age.

It's just tough seeing your kid upset he lost and asking how to get better without having a great answer.
Jump rope. Soccer, swimming, riding a bike, basketball etc. All sports help develop athletic ability’s and mental toughness. Just the act of plying outside does that as well

Reactions: tomcatmv
When I was a kid, in the 60s and 70s, everything among the boys was ultra competitive. Who could run fastest, ride their bike fastest, jump their bike the farthest etc. it carried over into little league, then jr high and high school sports etc. it has become part of my inner self and I pretty much hate it. I hate to loose at anything. It is very hard for me to go to a PRS or uspsa match and just have fun. This also carries over to my marriage because I come home PO’d because I feel that I should have shot better and I’m a “little snippy” for a couple hours after I get home. As a Navy diver, I never once failed in the task I was attempting, no matter the hour of day or night, the temperature, or how hard the current was ripping, I WOULD NOT FAIL. I’m being real open and honest here, if y’all want to flame me for it, go ahead, I don’t care, what I’ve written is the truth. Don’t have your kid turn out like me. DO NOT help your kids be like me. Sorry for the rant.

When I was a kid, in the 60s and 70s, everything among the boys was ultra competitive. Who could run fastest, ride their bike fastest, jump their bike the farthest etc. it carried over into little league, then jr high and high school sports etc. it has become part of my inner self and I pretty much hate it. I hate to loose at anything. It is very hard for me to go to a PRS or uspsa match and just have fun. This also carries over to my marriage because I come home PO’d because I feel that I should have shot better and I’m a “little snippy” for a couple hours after I get home. As a Navy diver, I never once failed in the task I was attempting, no matter the hour of day or night, the temperature, or how hard the current was ripping, I WOULD NOT FAIL. I’m being real open and honest here, if y’all want to flame me for it, go ahead, I don’t care, what I’ve written is the truth. Don’t have your kid turn out like me. DO NOT help your kids be like me. Sorry for the rant.

He's kind of like that as was I and it carried over through my academics. If I didn't get 100% on my test I was pissed. If I didn't finish with the highest grade or set the curve I was pissed.

Convenient way to hide the *accidental* drowning of an undesirable kid.
That's what I read in the title.

Is it like that, or are you going to be a decent dad ?

No, I'm quite serious....that is how the title looked to me.
Fix your shit, not the kids.

Convenient way to hide the *accidental* drowning of an undesirable kid.
That's what I read in the title.

Is it like that, or are you going to be a decent dad ?

No, I'm quite serious....that is how the title looked to me.
Fix your shit, not the kids.

Others have actually provided something useful. You can see yourself out.

Worthless coming in and worthless going out.

Reactions: Baron23
He's kind of like that as was I and it carried over through my academics. If I didn't get 100% on my test I was pissed. If I didn't finish with the highest grade or set the curve I was pissed.
Learning how to deal with failure and success is what sports are mostly about working towards a goal. Being good teammate, learning to lead. Etc. When your son doesn’t win, ask him did he do his best. If the answer is yes, let him know he didn’t lose. Be positive!

Reactions: 502Chevelle
Learning how to deal with failure and success is what sports are mostly about working towards a goal. Being good teammate, learning to lead. Etc. When your son doesn’t win, ask him did he do his best. If the answer is yes, let him know he didn’t lose. Be positive!

100%, just did this today after the team got creamed. Earned himself some ice cream (fell asleep when he got home which never happens). He was pretty upset but he played every snap. Has to clean his room tomorrow though haha.

Others have actually provided something useful. You can see yourself out.

Worthless coming in and worthless going out.
Are we reading the same thread ?
1st response is on the same train of thought of what I posted. that YOU are at fault for pushing a 7 year old kid.
You jumped all defensive.
2nd and 3rd response go in same direction.
Again you jump defensive.
And so on and so on.

Can you not see the trend ?
You're trying to push a 7 year old that isn't even close to having a fully formed body yet.

Just be a good dad, support him in whatever things he wants to do that are positive and productive.
He needs to be at least 14-15 before any working out will help him get any sort of benefit from it.

Get him a nice bicycle and go for rides with him.
Go on long hikes with him.
Both of those will be of benefit now due to building stamina, that's about the only thing that will last thru the body change when he hits puberty.
Like I said, most importantly, be a good dad.

1st response is on the same train of thought of what I posted. that YOU are at fault for pushing a 7 year old kid.
And so on and so on.

You're trying to push a 7 year old that isn't even close to having a fully formed body yet.

Just be a good dad, support him in whatever things he wants to do that are positive and productive.
He needs to be at least 14-15 before any working out will help him get any sort of benefit from it.

Both of those will be of benefit now due to building stamina, that's about the only thing that will last thru the body change when he hits puberty.

Hey bud,

He does these things on his own as they do it in practice. Again, you can see yourself out. You offer nothing worth the read. Have a good night, plenty of other threads to peruse.

And so on and so on.

He's defensive because uh........maybe........uh........you're talking about his kid!

Reactions: Snipe260
I’d have him get into swimming

Tried, scheduling conflicts and one of the only places to swim closed (permanently). I should buy an above ground pool but yard space is limited (HOA is a bitch as well).

We’ll he did start a subject…on the interwebz…with a bunch of DILLIGAF gun types about his kid, so….

I always expect at least one (albeit a persistent individual) in the pit and only had one so not too bad. Ended up getting a few good ideas and opinions so I'll call it a successful dialogue.

I always expect at least one (albeit a persistent individual) in the pit and only had one so not too bad. Ended up getting a few good ideas and opinions so I'll call it a successful dialogue.

Just let him be a kid, 7 is pretty small for hard core stuff and weight vests and all, I’m sure you two will figure it out, probably just spend time outdoors will do it at that age

Reactions: AngryKoala
Was the hate to loose instilled by parental influences or peers ? I was brought up to hate losing , anything less I felt inferior and bummed out bad. The older I got ,the more I accepted I couldn’t win everything I was challenged with. I drove a bracket drag racing car my uncle owned for years and winning or losing was often by thousands of a second. Cut close to perfect light on the Tree , run right on your dial in , but still sometimes you get beat. Cut a bad light , they say you fell asleep at the tree. Still hated losing but I didn’t stay bummed or depressed about it long. Going 140 mph in a 1/4 mile but get beat by someone that had a 1/1000th of a second faster reaction time sucked , but I didn’t let it ruin my day like it once did.
I think I know kinda what you did in the Navy , there your “ I WOULD NOT FAIL ” attitude was vital , helped you in completing your missions and remain alive. Nothing wrong with that , as long as it doesn’t interfere with other aspects of life. Fine line tween being driven to win or being obsessed by it.

I'm trying to get my son (7years old) to improve his speed and strength. He's not in a bad spot now for his age but I want him to improve more. I know he's not supposed to start free weights yet but push-ups , sit ups and squats (body weight) aren't really doing anything.

I was thinking about a weighted vest and having him do sprints, push-ups squats and situps with the vest on.

Thoughts from football parents?
IMO , until kids get to a certain age , some things are better to allow normal growth first. Back in the 60’s in was popular for people to wear ankle weights to build leg muscles. Thinking it would make one faster and have stronger legs while training for track or football or basketball. More than a few friends jinked up their knees prematurely. The idea of below 10 yr olds doing full marathons can’t be healthy. The body needs to naturally adapt.

Sounds like you’ve got a pretty full schedule but I’ll throw one out there.

My kids weren’t really interested in organized sports when they were younger but loved the American Ninja Warrior show.

They opened a gym here and they immediately took to it. For years they were swinging around, doing laches, balance obstacles, hanging on all kinds of small grips/holds and even competed locally.

Their strength, balance and agility grew 10x and they had a blast doing it.

IMO , until kids get to a certain age , some things are better to allow normal growth first. Back in the 60’s in was popular for people to wear ankle weights to build leg muscles. Thinking it would make one faster and have stronger legs while training for track or football jinked up a few knees prematurely. The idea of below 10 yr olds doing full marathons can’t be healthy. The body needs to naturally adapt.

It was also thought young kids shouldn't do strength training because it would cause fractures or possibly mess up the growth plates. New research (Mayo Clinic and others) suggests otherwise at the ages of 7-8 for strength training (low weight high rep) implementation.

They also use to say not to eat too many eggs because of cholesterol. Who knows whats right physiologically. Got some good advice here and I'll try a few things and see what he likes. I think he will like the parachute thing (I'll do it with him).

Sounds like you’ve got a pretty full schedule but I’ll throw one out there.

My kids weren’t really interested in organized sports when they were younger but loved the American Ninja Warrior show.

They opened a gym here and they immediately took to it. For years they were swinging around, doing laches, balance obstacles, hanging on all kinds of small grips/holds and even competed locally.

Their strength, balance and agility grew 10x and they had a blast doing it.

We have one like that but it's too far away to do regularly. He doesn't know it yet but his next birthday party is going to be there. He was in gymnastics too but it became too much for us when he was doing baseball, soccer and gymnastics all at once.

Those places are extremely fun and humbling. It made me realize quickly how bad my balance is compared to my son's haha.

Reactions: Sandhog308
16SHUYYTHHRDSHLLRFTA_Black

34.99 at dicks sporting goods or
2572348360_e769391902_b.jpg

that will build some good leg muscles while raking the yard . lol

• Haha
Reactions: AngryKoala
It was also thought young kids shouldn't do strength training because it would cause fractures or possibly mess up the growth plates. New research (Mayo Clinic and others) suggests otherwise at the ages of 7-8 for strength training (low weight high rep) implementation.

They also use to say not to eat too many eggs because of cholesterol. Who knows whats right physiologically. Got some good advice here and I'll try a few things and see what he likes. I think he will like the parachute thing (I'll do it with him).

We have one like that but it's too far away to do regularly. He doesn't know it yet but his next birthday party is going to be there. He was in gymnastics too but it became too much for us when he was doing baseball, soccer and gymnastics all at once.

Those places are extremely fun and humbling. It made me realize quickly how bad my balance is compared to my son's haha.

I bounce common sense off those “studies”

shit, most times I click threw the news one week it’s

“drinking a glass of wine a day will help your health”

next week

”drinking a glass of wine a night will give you cancer”

next week

”wine fights cancer in new study”

strength training a 7yr old little kid just doesn’t pass the common sense test

like this is a google picture of “7 year olds”, the idea of buying one a weighted vest to build muscle just doesnt ring right

AdobeStock_61159884-3-1.jpeg

Just good diet and keep them playing outside vs infront of a screen and I think it’ll be just fine.

I bounce common sense off those “studies”

shit, most times I click threw the news one week it’s

“drinking a glass of wine a day will help your health”

next week

”drinking a glass of wine a night will give you cancer”

next week

”wine fights cancer in new study”

strength training a 7yr old little kid just doesn’t pass the common sense test

like this is a google picture of “7 year olds”, the idea of buying one a weighted vest to build muscle just doesnt ring right

AdobeStock_61159884-3-1.jpeg

Just good diet and keep them playing outside vs infront of a screen and I think it’ll be just fine.

I think the research makes sense but the potential for harm if done incorrectly (improper form/too much weight) is compounded by the age of the individual which makes the danger outweigh the benefit. I do think strength training would be beneficial but it would need to be done with a professional trainer who works with kids.

A vest at 3lbs would be more of a safety net due to weight distribution by muscle group vs say a 3lb dumbbell. Not doing either but I think there is a middle of the road approach that could work.

Having kids that young, that focused on a specific sport usually backfires, it is usually contributed to by the parrents unknowingly and can cause physical injuries and psychological problems for the kids down the road.

Nothing wrong with kids in sports, but it should be for the fun of it, not for winning. I speak from experience as a coach, not on a high horse.

Reactions: TurboTrout
Having kids that young, that focused on a specific sport usually backfires, it is usually contributed to by the parrents unknowingly and can cause physical injuries and psychological problems for the kids down the road.

Nothing wrong with kids in sports, but it should be for the fun of it, not for winning. I speak from experience as a coach, not on a high horse.

I hear you and I agree (pulled him out of club wrestling for this reason) but he likes certain sports more than others thus he likes to focus on those more.

That said he plays football, baseball, wrestling, soccer and gymnastics (infrequently right now). His favorite is football and wrestling.

I hear you and I agree but he likes certain sports more than others thus he likes to focus on those more.

That said he plays football, baseball, wrestling, soccer and gymnastics (infrequently right now). His favorite is football and wrestling.

Spend some time researching the pitfalls to avoid with kids. I saw too many kids crushed when really set in. Less than 1% of athletic kids gets to be the hero in high school. A much smaller fraction amounts to anything beyond that. Just try to demphasize winning as a necessity.

I'm getting on a soap box, this probably does not apply to you at all, but I saw kids wrecked so need to say my piece.

I was a judo teacher for two decades, coached our team and was active at an Olympic training center for a bit. We praised more for improving than winning, more for effort than results and more for teamwork than individual accomplishments. We had kids go to the Olympics, very, very few but some made it several times.

Most of the rest of the kids were happy and contented with the journey learning how to work hard as a team and taking great pride in the success of others.

But some kids got broken mentally, some injured physically from improper training, several turned to drug use to try to win and we had one attempted suicide.The kids who got in trouble always measured their self worth in wins, all had parrents and past coaches that drilled into them this view. Don't be that parrent and keep your kid away from those coaches.

Spend some time researching the pitfalls to avoid with kids. I saw too many kids crushed when really set in. Less than 1% of athletic kids gets to be the hero in high school. A much smaller fraction amounts to anything beyond that. Just try to demphasize winning as a necessity.

I'm getting on a soap box, this probably does not apply to you at all, but I saw kids wrecked so need to say my piece.

I was a judo teacher for two decades, coached our team and was active at an Olympic training center for a bit. We praised more for improving than winning, more for effort than results and more for teamwork than individual accomplishments. We had kids go to the Olympics, very, very few but some made it several times.

Most of the rest of the kids were happy and contented with the journey learning how to work hard as a team and taking great pride in the success of others.

But some kids got broken mentally, some injured physically from improper training, several turned to drug use to try to win and we had one attempted suicide.The kids who got in trouble always measured their self worth in wins, all had parrents and past coaches that drilled into them this view. Don't be that parrent and keep your kid away from those coaches.

Describes the club wrestling coach perfectly and another reason we took him out. I'm not trying to raise a professional athlete but he wants to improve so I have to figure out the best way to get him to improve. As a chemist I care more about his academics.

Reactions: Old Man with Gun
We told parrents to do high repetition of activities with no weight training until puberty.
In judo especially that requires good technique and strives for minimal effort and maximum effect there is a huge advantage teaching kids technique before they can muscle it. Wear him out doing the sport would be my advice. If he can block and tackle without muscle, he will be much better than the average kid who weight trains early.

It is easier to teach a weak kid technique than a strong kid not to muscle.

Last edited: