• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weighting brass?

Re: Weighting brass?

No. Dont believe theres been any proof that it improves accuracy or not.Maybe if your BR Shooting and need to be shooting groups in the teens. For what we do,theres to many other more important factors that need attention.JMHO. Heres a link I found pretty interesting. If this guy is hitting 4" clay birds at 750 yards, golf balls at 800 and consistently fires 1 hole 5 shot groups without weighing brass or bullets, then Im gonna consentrate on the more important factors also.

http://www.6mmbr.com/TacticalFroggyA1.html

Nope

Jason don't be silly. That would mean people would have to use a little effort and use the search function. Easier just asking the same questions over and over
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jason don't be silly. That would mean people would have to use a little effort and use the search function. Easier just asking the same questions over and over
wink.gif
</div></div>

Wow thanks. Why did you bother reading the thread? I guess you were just born knowing everything.

Relax killer. It was a joke with Jason as this does happen alot. Some advice though is use the search function before your next question as alot of things have been asked here and you might find it.

I only weigh brass when I get a bunch of "once fired" LC match stuff. I grab a random 20 or so of the same year headstamp and weigh them. If there's no major variance I use the whole lot of that year. More often there's up to a 15 or so gr spread. I pick about a 4gr spread in the middle and use the brass that falls in that range.
Stpre bought commercial brass-I've never weight sorted it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3wide</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jason don't be silly. That would mean people would have to use a little effort and use the search function. Easier just asking the same questions over and over
wink.gif
</div></div>

Wow thanks. Why did you bother reading the thread? I guess you were just born knowing everything. </div></div>

Lot's of guys hop on this site, and make small etiquette mistakes. No big deal but the more senior guys will bust your chops on it.

Sure it sounds lame but this is a forum on the internet...

In my opinion, weighting brass is a waste of time. I did a test with 235 cases (different calibers and brass headstamps) and found that the correlation between case weight and internal volume is very poor to non-existent. Base size, extraction groove dimensions, alloy variations and case preparation techniques can influence case weight with no impact on internal volume. If you're concerned about case consistency you should measure internal volume, because that is the variable that can influence pressure, speed and, hence, bullet dispersion. Then again, that would only be noticeable beyond 500 yards.

My .02 cents

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3wide</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jason don't be silly. That would mean people would have to use a little effort and use the search function. Easier just asking the same questions over and over
wink.gif
</div></div>

Wow thanks. Why did you bother reading the thread? I guess you were just born knowing everything.</div></div>

Like Rob said, he was just giving you a hard time and passing on a long time joke here. The search function can be hard to use, but once you figure out the tricks like quotation marks around multiple words and using the + sign and how that helps, you can find a lot of stuff much easier. I always search first, there isn't much that hasn't been asked and answered here.

When you get really good at it we'll award you the "Strong Search-Fu" award.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only weigh brass when I get a bunch of "once fired" LC match stuff. I grab a random 20 or so of the same year headstamp and weigh them. If there's no major variance I use the whole lot of that year. More often there's up to a 15 or so gr spread. I pick about a 4gr spread in the middle and use the brass that falls in that range.
Stpre bought commercial brass-I've never weight sorted it. </div></div>
before or after match prep?

My match prep is limited to trimming to 2.005" and deburring flash holes.

I've only done it before, I doubt that the trimmed material is going to be that much of a variance, but if I were anal about brass prep I would trimm tham all then measure H2O capacity instead of weighing as its a better indicator.

For the practical precision shooting I do feel that there are many steps that may be good for BR guys that are a waste of my time for moa sized targets, but if you have the time and enjoy it, knock yourselves out!