• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weird .22lr drop at distance

schrammy

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2014
Nebraska
Hi, first time poster after a few years of lurking. Planning on shooting NRL22 "stock" division for 2020. I have a RPRr and running a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24. I believe this combo will be legal for that division. There is a club match fairly local next month, so I'm getting geared up to give it a try.

Anyway, I have a particular load that doesn't even come close to lining up with Strelock pro, no matter what info I put into the program. I chronographed RWS subsonic hp (40 grain) while zeroing Came up with 986fps avg, SD of 7.55. Shoots about .8-1.2" at 50 yards. Good enough for practice I figured, and I have a ton of it. Chronographed same lot number on same day that we were shooting. Rifle is zeroed at 25 yards.

My buddy who is helping me get set up for NRL22 brought his Kestrel so I had the atmospheric conditions. I ranged the steel targets with a Vortex 4000hd LRF. He verified with his Sig, so I'm confident on the distances.

Strelock Pro has this load in the database. I corrected for velocity at the temp we are shooting. For reference, Strelock Pro generates a G1 BC of .113. I have used the truing function to fine tune the BC on different loads, so I expected to have to go through this process once I had shot at distance.

Anyway, with my set up, Strelock expects a 14.0 MRAD drop at 273 yards. I had made good hits on steel to 200 up to this point. My parallax was adjusted accordingly for this distance. It was requiring 15.6 mills for me to get centered on the steel. Odd, but not that huge of deal, I thought. However if i adjust the BC to match this drop it is way high at every other distance we had steel set out for. I even rechronographed a few rounds just to verify I didn't screw anything up. And I had the slope angle correctly inputted with the distance in LOS.

CCI SV was very predictable out to 273. It was completely usable straight off Strelock (with my velocity input) from 25 to 273. Absolutely no problem dialing/holding for any of the steel we had put out.

For some reason RWS has predictable drop out to about 200-215 yards than drops like a rock. This makes absolutely no sense to me. At 15.6 mills I was able to put 9 of 10 (missed a wind switch) on a 10" gong, so it's not just the group opening up.

Obviously the answer is to just run CCI SV or another proven load for matches. I just can't get over the that extra 1.6 mil drop in those last 60ish yards. Never seen anything like it, and neither had my buddy who shoots almost exclusively rimfire events year round.

Is this a normal occurence with .22lr? I just can't wrap my head around how this works. This was completely repeatable and only occurred with RWS subsonic hp.

Hopefully somebody can put my mind at ease.

You've got real world data and are worried that the prediction doesn't match up? You're doing it backwards. Record the deviation and move on.

hlee,
Yeah I totally get that real world data won't match up exactly to a computer generated prediction. I just don't understand how the generated numbers line up within a few tenths of a mil out to 215, then the bullet drops an extra 15" more than we anticipated for that last 60 yards or so.

I'm still pretty new to long range rimfire. I've never experienced a bullet falling off the proverbial cliff like this. All of my centerfire rounds have predictable drop based on previous shots/groups at shorter ranges. If I shoot my 260ai or 6br at 800 and 1000...I can calculate the drop at 1200 pretty reliably IF i have velocity and environmental data.

Not arguing with you, just trying to understand what I am missing. Maybe subsonic ammo has some additional considerations I haven't accounted for or understand.

billmeek:
I've tried playing with the bc in Strelock pro, but adjusting the BC to center the group at my confirmed 15.6 mills doesn't work. I end up shooting high everywhere else. Weird.

Oh well...I can still use the RWS for positional drills. I can't hold better than it delivers slung up anyway.