• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weird Grouping Results

firestorm1284

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2010
Wisconsin
Hey Hiders, I have a strange question for you. I just recently bought a Savage bolt action in .17 HMR. I mounted up a Nikon Monarch in some cheap rings I had, and went to the range. I was getting weird groups, where the first two were ALWAYS almost touching, but the third was about 1" away from the other two. I thought maybe the rings were moving (they were crap), so I mounted the Monarch up in a Larue mount, and got the EXACT same results. Every single time. There is no way that it is coincidence, and I'm shooting from a rest - WHAT is the deal!? I have never seen results like this before.

Re: Weird Grouping Results

Is the stock of the cheap tupperware/P.O.S. variety? If so, then there may lie your biggest problem. If not, then try single loading the bullets and report back if this trend continues.

Well, your talking rimfire, they are tricky and picky at times. The barrel may be getting hot, chamber too, and changing thing around for those poor little bullets. Try anothe brand/lot of ammo and see what happens. This group was shot 50 yds with a Rem 597, crap scope and crap stock.
24f82aa6.jpg

Lot's of variables. Not doubting your abilities but even though it's on a rest, doesn't mean the shooter is out of the picture.

What distance are you shooting at??? 3 shot groups aren't enough to really tell you what's going on. Put more shots down. That being said 1" at 100 yards with a 17hmr is pretty good and I wouldn't get worked up over that.

17hmr can be picky with ammo, just like .22LR some lots are better than others. When you find a good lot buy the whole brick. Wind is also a huge factor with the little 17gr pills.

If you're using the factory stock, make sure your action screws are torqued to 15in/lbs. or so... Too much torque or too little is no good.

Do some searching around on the Rimfire section I'm sure you'll find a lot of threads with similar findings.

Hey gents, thanks for the responses. Let me address a few things. First, while I am no expert marksmen, I'm fairly decent (at least from a rest). With my Howa 1500 in .308, I generally shoot about .5" at 100, and I get similar results with a Bushmaster Varminter in .223. With the other rifles I've tried, the shots are generally equally spread out, or if two are closer together, then it may be the 1st and 3rd shot close, or the 2nd and 3rd, or the 1st and second, with no consistency. This is ALWAYS first and second shot close, third is further away.

Second, it is not the totally craptastic stock, but it is the Boyds "tacticool" stock - which isn't great, but isn't shit either.

Third - I know it isn't the scope. I JUST pulled this scope off of my Bushmaster to use on this rifle - to eliminate it as a potential problem.

I have already tried two different types of ammo. One is a 17 grain Hornady with ballistic tip. The other is also Hornady, but with a 20 grain hollow point. I did get noticeably better results with the 20 grain, but still with the weird 3rd shot business.