• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weird groups

komifornian

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2011
Peoples Republic of Kalifornia
So I've been shooting groups trying to work up a load but am getting odd results.

First, let me say that I can hit a 1/2" dot almost every time at 100 meters with one shot/first shot

However, when I shoot for groups I get odd results. The first three or so shots will be touching but almost every time either one or two of the other shots will be about an inch from the group. It's probably me but with my other rifle this doesn't happen.

The rifle was built by SAC:
Specs:
Trued/blueprinted Rem. 40x action
26" Kreiger barrel 8 twist chambered in 6.5 cm
AICS 2.0 chassis and the action has been bedded into the Vblock
Jewell trigger

Opitcs:
US Optics 5-25 tpal
US Optics Rings
US Optics Base (bedded)
US Optics anti cant level.

What do you think the problem is?

I'm going back out the range on Sunday to try another load. I'll post pics....

Last edited:
Check action screws for proper tq.....and velocity on reloads if using reloads...or get some match factory loads and eliminate one possible problem.....that's just me using my SWAG.....(Scientific Wild Ass Guess)

Very possible....if the screws are good....get a hand load.....they are much more consistent.....my 700 at work shoots .75 with fgmm.... but under .5 with hand loads....I'm also willing to bet it doesn't like your factory loads

I think I'm going to go with some of the recipes I've found in the reloading section. I think my rifle just doesn't like Factory Hornaday ammo. And to clarify, I meant to say I "will" be trying to work up a load. Sorry for the confusion.

What is the thickness of the barrel? Are your following shots fast enough so your barrel is getting very hot?

Does this rifle recoil heavier than what you normally shoot? It took me some time for me to get over stepping up to 7mm Rem Mag from .223, and start flinching after several rounds.

The rifle has very little recoil, it weighs about 15 pounds with the scope. The barrel is not getting hot. It's 1.25 at the lug and .875 at the muzzel. It's fluted as well. I really think it just doesn't like the Hornaday ammo. I'm going to try this load. 140 grn VLD's,
42.5 grns of H4350, CCI 200 pimers and a OAL of 2.810.