• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Weird phenomena with my scope

BuildingConceptsllc

Don't Start None, won't be none.
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 13, 2020
    Alabama
    I was shooting today and had a strange thing happen that I haven't had happen like this before. It was about 38 degrees and a light rain btw ... I should also note that I have a sun shade with an ARD device on it. I also just about always shoot suppressed as I was today.

So anyway, I was shooting and had shot probably 5 or 6 ish groups, waiting 5 minutes between groups. So I go to start a new group and I shoot. My scope got all brownish yellow on the right hand side, like around the edge but the whole sight picture got dim as well. It looked sort of like smoke on the glass. It went away after I'd shot a little more and then didn't happen again.

It was fine after that, and I don't see how any smoke could have gotten on the glass, nor did I wipe the glass ever, as I have a sun shade and ARD device.

Just curious if anyone had experienced this before?

Never had that happen, but after about 10 consecutive rounds of .260 Rem suppressed, my scopes start getting a shit-ton of mirage from the suppressor heating up and dissipating heat that's rising in the line of sight, even with a thermal wrap.

I have experienced that with my suppresser. The heat will fog the lens in certain conditions.
    I thought it might be that but seems like a too far away ect.... but I'm pretty sure it was fog of some kind

Last edited:
    Never had that happen, but after about 10 consecutive rounds of .260 Rem suppressed, my scopes start getting a shit-ton of mirage from the suppressor heating up and dissipating heat that's rising in the line of sight, even with a thermal wrap.
    Oh yeah, but this wasn't mirage. It could have been that I breathed on it and with the weather conditions it just stayed there for a really long time. I didn't really consider that initially, because of the coloration and how long it stayed that way but as I think about it more, it would almost have to be that. Must have been a combo of that and my ard that made it look like it did, with the low light and misty rain.

Reactions: FuhQ
    Oh yeah, but this wasn't mirage. It could have been that I breathed on it and with the weather conditions it just stayed there for a really long time. I didn't really consider that initially, because of the coloration and how long it stayed that way but as I think about it more, it would almost have to be that. Must have been a combo of that and my ard that made it look like it did, with the low light and misty rain.
    I went and shot today, too... Conditions were absolute shit. Pissing rain, fog, see your breath, 40º, snow this morning, sleet... It was like a perfect combination of conditions you DON'T want when shooting.

I went and shot today, too... Conditions were absolute shit. Pissing rain, fog, see your breath, 40º, snow this morning, sleet... It was like a perfect combination of conditions you DON'T want when shooting.
    Yeah it was a really nasty day. Of course, the last 3 times I've shot, that's been the case so, I'm getting used to it now. I leave my bullets in my truck set on 70 degrees inside and then shoot and only load up one group at a time. It's a ton of back and forth to the truck, but it actually works pretty well. Have to keep track of your time well though. I just don't have much time to do anything at all with work being so crazy, so I just have to do it when I can do it, or it won't happen at all.

Reactions: FuhQ
    Probably your breath fogging up the scope, I do it relatively frequently and it can take a little while for it to go away.

Seen this a few times on Ghost stories w camera lenses :ROFLMAO:

If the conditions are right you can sweat enough to fog up optics. It doesn't take much especially breathing close to your scope. This doesn't apply here but taking a warm gun into cold humid conditions can cause moisture issues to.