• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Weird question about mounting Seekins rings.....

mattmcg

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2007
CA
I just got some new S&B scopes in and started to get the rifles ready for installation with some Seekins rings. As I started putting the pieces on the bench and setting the rings on the picatinny rail, I set the rings on the rail so that the Torx screws on the base were along the right side of the rifle (the ejection port side).

As I stood back I got to thinking, why do I normally install the rings with the screw on the right? I couldn't quite answer the question myself but after installing many a scope and looking at pics with other rings installed with right side base bolts, it got me wondering....

Given that the Seekins rings are slightly thicker on the Torx screw side and that it is the ejection side, why not install the rings with the base screws to be on the left side (non ejection side) of the rifle? Seemed like a really basic enhancement that would lower the profile and edges on the more active side of the rifle and don't know why I haven't considered it before now......

So is there any reason not to do this? Is there a true front facing side of the rings or are they meant to be "ambidextrous"?

Re: Weird question about mounting Seekins rings.....

i mounted mine with the head of the torx screws on the left side of the rifle. it was the fist scope i have ever mounted and i thought it just felt more natural...

You mean like this:

SPSV_1072.jpg

I prefer keeping the ejection port side as "slick" as possible. Less stuff to catch you hand/glove/etc. on if you have to load in a hurry.

I always install with the screw head on the left side. Not that it matters with the Seekins rings, I love how it is designed!

Re: Weird question about mounting Seekins rings...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You mean like this:

SPSV_1072.jpg

I prefer keeping the ejection port side as "slick" as possible. Less stuff to catch you hand/glove/etc. on if you have to load in a hurry. </div></div>
Are those the low 30mm Seekins rings on a falcon 44mm objective scope? Is that on a 20moa base too?

Funny, I guess old habits sometimes need to be questioned! Nice pics!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Dude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Are those the low 30mm Seekins rings on a falcon 44mm objective scope? Is that on a 20moa base too? </div></div>

Yes, Seekins 30mm Low's on a 20MOA base with a Falcon 4-14x44FFP.