• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weird Question about safes and barrels

Fate0n3

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2012
KY
I recently picked up a little security safe for several of my guns just to keep them all in one place and secured with my youngin into everything can not be too safe. (they were previously in cases/bags) After a little convo with a friend I was wanting to see if anyone that puts there guns in a safe has seen any issues with loose of accuracy or anything to that nature. It was brought up with how the barrel is supporting the gun. I know a stupid question but after searching I wasn't able to find any info on it. Figured one of you guys on here would have went into this. Thanks

Re: Weird Question about safes and barrels

Never had an issue, but I shoot like crap, so how would I be able to tell
grin.gif

Some people don't like resting the muzzle against anything because they don't want to damage the crown. Maybe that's where that runor came from.

If you are concerned about it, or have a crown on the barrel that is not countersunk, store the rifle with the stock touching the ground instead of the barrel touching the ground. That is, after all, the preferred method.

I've had my pieces in a safe since the 90's with no change in POI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3oh8er</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had my pieces in a safe since the 90's with no change in POI. </div></div>But how do you <span style="font-style: italic">know</span>, because the 'pieces' have only been in the safe?
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3oh8er</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had my pieces in a safe since the 90's with no change in POI. </div></div>But how do you <span style="font-style: italic">know</span>, because the 'pieces' have only been in the safe?
wink.gif
</div></div>

Pffft....lawyers
wink.gif

I have heard the reason for storing muzzle down is to reduce the stress on the bedding. I know this was once a school of thought, but I really don't know if there is any information to back it. My rifles rest on the stock and I have not noticed any shift in POI.

- Loud

I have that problem myself....

So the way I found to correct the problem is I group them....All the chitty ones go into one safe in on the same side. All the shooters go into the other safe.....from time to time I take one that needs help and store it with the shooters so it will have improved for the next trip out.

Strength in numbers is the only way to cure it. If you need to reinforce it...try putting a target into the safe so they know what they are suppose to do. That deffinately helps!

YMMV

Thank you everyone for the answers. I have the guns stored muzzle up with the stock holding the rifle weight. My main concern was with the weight leaning back on the barrel like that didn't know if it could change/hurt the rifle any. I see quite a few peoples with safes but a lot that just store guns in cases. Thanks again guys now to be on the search for foam for the inside.

My rifles,inside the safe,are stored(ligtly)oiled_therefore the rifles are stored muzzle down_ each muzzle is protected with a holed rubber muzzlesaver_

I store mine muzzle down so oil doesn't run back into the firing mechanism.

I padded the bottom of my safe with old sheets and towels and replace them when needed.

I also have the stock adjacent to the wall of the safe protecting the scope incase of any movement.

If your really concerned about the crown a quick fix is to wrap a flannelette towel round the muzzle with rubber bands. Rough but effective.

Every now and again one reads one that is so unbelievable that you sit there until you realize you best just read it again.

Leave you guns barrel up so they can exchange atmosphere or they will rust.

If your oiling so much and with the wrong materials that one is afraid it will run into your action....stop doing it. One needs a microscopic layer of protection..or with properly controlled humidity NONE at all.

No, there is absolutely now way that the very minor stress of having an almost already vertical rifle will bear weight to the point where POI changes. If it ever did, what does that tell you about your rig?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: i_rep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">from time to time I take one that needs help and store it with the shooters so it will have improved for the next trip out.</div></div>

Tell me Colonel i_rep, DID YOU ORDER THE CODE RED???!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Every now and again one reads one that is so unbelievable that you sit there until you realize you best just read it again.

Leave you guns barrel up so they can exchange atmosphere or they will rust.

If your oiling so much and with the wrong materials that one is afraid it will run into your action....stop doing it. One needs a microscopic layer of protection..or with properly controlled humidity NONE at all.

No, there is absolutely now way that the very minor stress of having an almost already vertical rifle will bear weight to the point where POI changes. If it ever did, what does that tell you about your rig? </div></div>

Can you please tell me how, if the bolt is out of the action that the barrel can't acclimatize?

I might have also forgotten to mention that I have added a seal on the door and also use crystals to absorb moisture In order to keep a moisture free environment.

If your seriously concerned get a detachable muzzle break and therefore protect the crown.

if someone can remember the conditions of the wooden stocks on any military racks,martially stored muzzle up,will easily understand how ANY oil's quantity WILL seep down_

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kentucky Jelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GJB</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kentucky Jelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No </div></div>

+1 </div></div>

+1

Paul

For fluck sake just shoot. Shoot all the time and any chance you get. If it ceases to shoot rebarrel it. After all that is what they are made for . As for pistols if you don't shoot formal target most defensive situations happen at close encounters under stress with catecholamine stimulating all those alpha and beta receptors in your body. So it does not matter at that distance if you are in fear of your life empty the flucken clip reload and repeat if necessary. I shoot the living "capital F" out of my Gap and accuracy international rifles, so much so when george builds them for me I request two barrels and he has done countless AW barrels and very soon AX barrels. I do clean my rifles when I have time between grad school, family, God, hunting, fishing, shooting, shooting some more, killing predators, and hunting to feed my family. Oh and I for got when I am not running my business . Long story short if the gun is built well don't worry shot enjoy it while you can. My grand father once told me "you only have so many Saturdays in your life" what he meant is this: the average lucky man lives 75 years on average, that means you have 3600 Saturdays in your lifetime. That puts shit into perspective doesn't it? Don't sweat the little stuff if it breaks fix it and go on enjoy life. Sorry for the rant.

Over time the vacume effect if opening and closing the door will slowly begin to bow your barrel ever so slightly. This has dramatic impact on the accuracy over time.
smile.gif

seriously dont worry about it. If setting in a safe hurts them for Petes sake don't shoot them!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3oh8er</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had my pieces in a safe since the 90's with no change in POI. </div></div>But how do you <span style="font-style: italic">know</span>, because the 'pieces' have only been in the safe?
wink.gif
</div></div>

Exactly
laugh.gif

seriously tho, I have never even heard anyone bring this topic up. We talkin bout crowns here or the barrel itself ?

Don't let these guys make fun of you, it's a good question.

No, don't worry about it.

BUT: I would leave the rifle either horizontal (if you have a ginormous safe) or with the muzzle facing down. Oil DOES migrate, even if you only use a microscopic amount.

For many years, I have put my rifles in the safe on the recoil pad, with the barrel leaning into one of the rounded out grooves for rifle barrels. All the rifles outshoot me by quite a bit, so I can't say if they loose accuracy.

I haven't had any issues with change in point of impact after short, or long term storage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: i_rep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have that problem myself....

So the way I found to correct the problem is I group them....All the chitty ones go into one safe in on the same side. All the shooters go into the other safe.....from time to time I take one that needs help and store it with the shooters so it will have improved for the next trip out.

Strength in numbers is the only way to cure it. If you need to reinforce it...try putting a target into the safe so they know what they are suppose to do. That deffinately helps!

YMMV </div></div>

When our racecar parts approach mileaging, we put them on the healing shelf and then after a period of a few weeks they are ready to rock and roll again. Must be the same effect.

These are some good answers, in my knowledge, which is not as vast as the cosmos or close, I don't think that storing them in a safe muzzle up (never seems to hurt mine) or else gun shops wouldn't present them in all the vertical racks.