Rifle Scopes  Weird Reticle question

rdsii64

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 19, 2008
    North Carolina, USA
    When I put my rifle in my right shoulder, the reticle looks level with the top of my receiver. When I put the rifle in my left shoulder, it looks extremely canted. Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do about it if anything?
    I don't think I mounted my scope wrong but something is surely weird.

diverdon

Constitutionalist, by choice
    Minuteman
  • Dec 21, 2011
    WNY
    Which shoulder do you normally use to shoot. If you are right handed then you are fine.

hamstur

Smelly
    Minuteman
    Jul 7, 2011
    Desert
    Shouldering a rifle is no different than any other activity ... signing you name, using a computer mouse, throwing a ball, curling a dumbbell ... you do any of those identical on both sides?

rdsii64

Sergeant
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Aug 19, 2008
    North Carolina, USA
    It seems like I have nothing to worry about. During my days on active duty I was taught to shoot off my left shoulder because I'm left eye dominant and shooting left handed just felt natural. I chose to learn to shoot right handed so I could pick the best position for a given situation. I've done it for long now I actually would rather shoot right handed now unless I sling up. From time to time I like to put the rifle back in my left shoulder when its convenient thus the question.

Also, when I say the reticle is canted off my left shoulder i mean in relation to the top of the receiver. It appears canted from my left shoulder even when shooting off a bench or prone on flat ground. Does anyone know what causes this and if it can be adjusted or accounted for.