• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes weird scope problem.......off center but passes tall target test?

ker2222

Minuteman
Sep 3, 2004
Hastings, MN
so.....upgraded scopes this summer----went with the bushnell lrhs 4.5-18 mil/mil. Scope is awesome and exactly what I wanted. I mounted it up in some seekins rings, tightened to 50lbs and hit the range. Rifle is a R@D Precision 6.5 creedmoor sitting in a manners stock with the BDL mini chasis. The rifle has had lots of scopes on it before and I have never noticed what I am about to describe

Anyway.....took rifle to the range to put scope through the paces. Set up a tall target, leveled target at 50 yards....went back to bench. Dialed out parallax easily: Scope says adjustable down to 50yrds but I would say its more like 40 on the sample I have. Zeroed scope---was using "practice ammo" so I did not reset turrets. With scope zeroed I ran rifle through the scope elevation tracking test and box test. Dialed out a full 10 mils of elevation shooting a round into a pre-arranged dot every two Mils----worked like a charm---I missed one cause I suck at shooting sometimes and I really suck at measuring things sometimes....lol

Then I dialed back down and rounds landed where they were supposed to. Box test passed, and reticle markings correlate and match with turret corrections....all in all I was fat and happy and ready felt ready to deploy rifle when hunting season rolls around now....and then I got back home....

When I looked at the scope it is clearly off center---meaning the center line of the bore does not match up to the center line of the scope. It is off line enough to be clearly visible when looking down the rifle from the muzzle end and now that I know its there I can also see it from behind the rifle....

The million dollar questions are:

1. how did this happen?
2. Given that the set up passed the tests....do I even worry???

and I guess I should clarify a bit too.....

I never dial windage--I will be holding wind. And this isn't a benchrest kinda rig, its my longer range hunting set up. For me that means whitetail and mule deer out to a max of 700 yards. Last year the longest shot I took was 624 yards which connected on a nice mule deer which dropped where it was hit.

Last edited:
If you're looking through the objective lens of the scope, as opposed to the occular lens like you are supposed to, you can see how the internals of the scope are sitting. Nothing to be worried about.
Edit: This is me assuming that the internals of the scope look skewed and not the whole scope itself.

Last edited: