• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Welcome to my High Speed Roller Coaster Ride!!

JAS-SH

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2020
Hi all,

Some of you might remember that I built a .22 trainer based on the .22 Mag caliber. The .22 Mag is not known for accuracy, still I had good reason to go with it which I will not get into here.

I tested pretty much every load sold for the .22 Mag and by far the most accurate loads were based on the 30 gr. Hornady VMAX, both from Hornady and CCI, with CCI having a slight edge. Both are rated at 2200 FPS. That changed. I got a couple bricks from CCI during the pandemic that were way off accuracy wise - or was it me? One from Hornady during that time was not much better either.

Well, I just got a new post pandemic brick from Hornady and so I decided to test velocities. I went to the range yesterday and slapped the chrono on the rifle. I then shot the 3 different LOT #s, 2 from Hornady and 1 from CCI - 15-rounds each. The result was the High Speed Roller Coaster rides below :eek:.:oops::

i-z82nB4r-X3.jpg

The samples are too small to draw major conclusions but some things became apparent. Both Pandemic era Lot #s had velocities pushing the 2350 fps range! Those are the Blue line (Hornady) and the Orange (CCI). The new post pandemic brick from Hornady (Grey line) came close but did not exceed 3000 FPS, and did so only once.

I didn't have a lot of time but I did sneak in a 5-shot group with the new Hornady lot. Again, a 5-shot doesn't predict shit, but I did learn something. The low shot in the group is probably not me!!:). The average velocity is more in keeping with the box # @ 2200 fps.

I can speculate and it's just that, speculation, but it is possible that the two pandemic era lots having speeds close to and exceeding 2300 fps might be causing the 30 gr bullets to start destabilizing because of my rifle's 15:1 inch twist.

Here's the group:

i-tnxDK5Z-XL.jpg

Last edited:
That is some pretty ugly inconsistency. Thanks for the information

If it was any better I would be worried something major has happened at the CCI factory! Hehe

Just checked my best running lot of .17 CCI Gamepoint I chronoed way back..
Screenshot_20221230-182218.jpg

Reactions: JAS-SH
Imagine how much fun it would be if there were match-grade loads for 22 Mag with the Cutting Edge solids on top, and a fast enough twist rate on the barrel.

Reactions: JAS-SH
Unfortunately there isn't enough demand for accurate 22 mag rounds

Currently I don't believe a single US ammo manufacturer is producing even standard 22 long rifle ammo that is considered good enough for serious precision or competitive match shooting

I know Federal was used to win a Gold medal a very long time ago and they aren't considered players anymore

Imagine how much fun it would be if there were match-grade loads for 22 Mag with the Cutting Edge solids on top, and a fast enough twist rate on the barrel.
I'd buy one yesterday!

The rimfire magnums aren't meant to be precision target cartridges.
They are designed and assembled to be hunting/center of critter thumpers.
If you want small bore precision ammunition, there are plenty of centerfire options.
Mass production of rimfire ammunition is just too much of an assembly line lottery.
It's all about profit margin, not high quality cartridges.

Center of critter, rimfire magnums are adequate.
Shooting for score, not so much.

Last edited:
The rimfire magnums aren't meant to be precision target cartridges.
They are designed and assembled to be hunting/center of critter thumpers.
If you want small bore precision ammunition, there are plenty of centerfire options.
Mass production of rimfire ammunition is just too much of an assembly line lottery.
It's all about profit margin, not high quality cartridges.

Center of critter, rimfire magnums are adequate.
Shooting for score, not so much.
I get that but it's not as bad as the charts make it look. I use it as a trainer and stick mainly to 100 yards. At that range with those rounds a difference of 100 fps in velocity is only .1mil - .36 inches. A 50 fps difference is half that.

Shooting long range is whole different story. at longer ranges 100 fps difference is a big deal.

So, for its purpose, the rifle is accurate enough. But I get you. It would be nice to have a .223 trainer and that has been in my mind since the summer. I might just start a build soon.

I hear ya'JAS.

I put together a 223 F-Class for just that reason.
Got tired of losing the rimfire assembly line lottery.
Lapua brass, H322, Varget, BR-4 primers and 35 grain VMax to 90 grain Amax keeps me grinning.

I wonder how good ( or bad) the rws 22 mag ammo would be. I see it listed on the anschutz website (like 50 bucks a box ouch! ) but perhaps some of the attention to detail and precision from their LR offerings would be seen in the magnum ammo as well?

RWS 22 WMR at a dollar a cartridge, you'd think it'd be amazing, right?
It's not. :(
What? How can you say that justin?
Easy, I won't offer a comment without trying it first.
200 bucks worth of fmj and jsp off the bench, across a chrony.
More than 200 fps ES and plenty of strays.
It's short range off hand bulk hunting/varminting ammo.
Not in any way precision paper punching cartridges