• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Well crap. Toothless hillbilly in Deliverence killed in a car wreck.

85. He had a good long life and checked out quick. Win/win

RIP
The lines he said in the movie "... I'll blow your guts all over these woods....He shore has a purty mouth." were his own.

Burt Reynolds told him to say whatever he felt like saying.

Need some of those hillbillies on the Rio Grande. Rail some of those illegals in the ass, they might think twice about crossing the river.

Last edited:
The Sheriff that questioned Jon Voight and Ned Beatty at the end was playwright James Dickey who wrote Deliverence. His role as a small town Sheriff was about as convincing as you'll ever see.

1706223420304.png

The hillbilly, Bill McKinney, who made Ned Beatty squeal like a pig, was supposedly his cousin in the movie.

Reactions: Charmingmander
Meh...
I mean, yeah, sure, mourn the dead or whatever but he was just one of about 9,500 Americans who died that day.
On the bright side, about 10,000 folks arrived to be Americans on the same day.

"Drop them panties, too."

I read that Ned Beatty regrets taking that role. Some people renamed that area Sodomy Creek, among memesters back then.

Beatty would drive 100 miles out of the way, if necessary, to avoid going through that area. I am not sure how true that is but it makes for a good story.

Like the fact that Burt Reynolds really did break his leg on that rock in the river scene.

And Ronny Cox did actually play guitar.

I read that Ned Beatty regrets taking that role. Some people renamed that area Sodomy Creek, among memesters back then.

Beatty would drive 100 miles out of the way, if necessary, to avoid going through that area. I am not sure how true that is but it makes for a good story.

Like the fact that Burt Reynolds really did break his leg on that rock in the river scene.

And Charlie Boorman (motorcycle epic rider) was in a bit part as a kid. His dad directed Deliverance.

Sirhr

Billy Redden, better known as 'Banjo Boy', worked at a Walmart.

Bill McKinney who played the other hillbilly almost took it too far in the rape scene and he and Ned Beatty nearly came to blows. They should have filmed that and put that in the movie.

Reactions: Ronws
Billy Redden, better known as 'Banjo Boy', worked at a Walmart.

Bill McKinney who played the other hillbilly almost took it too far in the rape scene and he and Ned Beatty almost came to blows. They should have filmed that and put that in the movie.
Wrong. Your so called “Billy Redden” is actually Joe Biden.

Tell me you don’t see a resemblance.

Happened about a half hour from us.

"Their pets, a squirrel and chihuahua, also died at the scene."

LOL, never understood the thing with people around here and damned squirrels for pets.

LOL, never understood the thing with people around here and damned squirrels for pets.
But you understand the attraction for chihuahuas?
I never understood people that have a hangup over what animals people befriend.

It must have been a catastrophic wreck to kill everything in the car.

Was the squirrel driving? You see how them little fuckers act in the middle of the road.🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 91Eunozs

Dogs? Yeah, I totally understand the attraction for dogs as pets. And every Chihuahua we had growing up were great dogs.

You'd just have to live here to understand the fascination with having wild animals (squirrels, raccoons, deer, etc) as pets.

Had a friend with a pet squirrel. She had long, thick red hair and T-ho would sit on her shoulder hidden from sight. It was a blast watching folks freak out whenever he poke his head out among the unsuspecting. Picture “Christmas Vacation.“

Reactions: Holliday
The Sheriff that questioned Jon Voight and Ned Beatty at the end was playwright James Dickey who wrote Deliverence. His role as a small town Sheriff was about as convincing as you'll ever see.

View attachment 8332510

The hillbilly, Bill McKinney, who made Ned Beatty squeal like a pig, was supposedly his cousin in the movie.

And, as it turns out, Bill McKinney was featured later on as the "executioner" guard (i.e. threw the Electric Chair switch) in the movie "The Green Mile." He played guard Jack Van Hay.

His (McKinney's) famous line there, "You don't ever throw the switch on a man without that!" Of course, he was referring to placing the sponge on the head of the condemned soaked with water... what they didn't emphasize was that it's "salt" water, as that conducts better. Both the head sponge and the leg piece is wet with salt water. or some kind of conductive jelly.

Reactions: TexPatriot
And, as it turns out, Bill McKinney was featured later on as the "executioner" guard (i.e. threw the Electric Chair switch) in the movie "The Green Mile." He played guard Jack Van Hay.

His (McKinney's) famous line there, "You don't ever throw the switch on a man without that!" Of course, he was referring to placing the sponge on the head of the condemned soaked with water... what they didn't emphasize was that it's "salt" water, as that conducts better. Both the head sponge and the leg piece is wet with salt water. or some kind of conductive jelly.
The whole cast, down to banjo boy and the people in the opening scenes, to the doctor and nurses at the end, were extremely well cast.

I grew up with and knew hillbillies in the hills west of Austin. There is even a book written about them. We told them about Deliverence and they scoffed, as suspicious and critical about it as everything else in the outside world, that it was probably something like Green Acres or Hee Haw. And then they went and saw it.

They rooted for the hillbillies and picked out subtle things one would notice when watching your side perform well, like when the hillbillies were leading Burt Reynolds to their destination and one hillbilly jumped in riding shotgun, literally, and stuck a dbl barrel shotgun in the window rack of the winch truck they were in because they knew not to trust the city folk.

Then the rape scene. They all hooted and laughed with great pride afterward how the hillbilly had to back out a foot when he got finished railing Bobby in the ass.

The whole cast, down to banjo boy and the people in the opening scenes, to the doctor and nurses at the end, were extremely well cast.

I grew up with and knew hillbillies in the hills west of Austin. There is even a book written about them. We told them about Deliverence and they scoffed, as suspicious and critical about it as everything else in the outside world, that it was probably something like Green Acres or Hee Haw. And then they went and saw it.

They rooted for the hillbillies and picked out subtle things one would notice when watching your side perform well, like when the hillbillies were leading Burt Reynolds to their destination and one hillbilly jumped in riding shotgun, literally, and stuck a dbl barrel shotgun in the window rack of the winch truck they were in because they knew not to trust the city folk.

Then the rape scene. They all hooted and laughed with great pride afterward how the hillbilly had to back out a foot when he got finished railing Bobby in the ass.

Ah, as if the "device" was 1 ft. long.... :ROFLMAO:

It's funny. When Deliverance started its run in theaters (circa 1972), it was all the rage and all the kids in High School were chatting about it... (running up and down the halls yelling "SQUEEEEEEEEAAALLL!") Sadly. my father would not take me to see it, because he didn't want me to be "exposed" to the rape scene... and to the subsequent murders, I'd imagine. But, mostly, the rape scene. I think I had to wait until it came out on DVD before I could buy it and see it as an adult. I don't remember buying/renting it on VHS, so....

Had a friend with a pet squirrel. She had long, thick red hair and T-ho would sit on her shoulder hidden from sight. It was a blast watching folks freak out whenever he poke his head out among the unsuspecting. Picture “Christmas Vacation.“
Ha ha! I can picture that. I have a friend's Mom that has had a few. Worst part was if they were hanging out on one person, and wanted to come visit another, they'd just jump then dig claws in when they landed. Can't tell you how many damn shirts those things picked of mine. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: EddieNFL
Ha ha! I can picture that. I have a friend's Mom that has had a few. Worst part was if they were hanging out on one person, and wanted to come visit another, they'd just jump then dig claws in when they landed. Can't tell you how many damn shirts those things picked of mine. :ROFLMAO:

It's funny, the things we can recall from childhood. My "2nd grade" teacher (a tall ginger French Lady in her 50's but spoke English fluently with an American Accent) had two pets... a hamster named "Charlie" and a squirrel named "Junior." And she would tell us all about these two pets and what they were up to. Sadly, during my 2nd grade term, she had to put both of them down (or, "Put them to sleep" as she'd say). Ah well.

Reactions: HPIguy
Dogs? Yeah, I totally understand the attraction for dogs as pets. And every Chihuahua we had growing up were great dogs.

You'd just have to live here to understand the fascination with having wild animals (squirrels, raccoons, deer, etc) as pets.

Story time:

A few years ago the wife was brush hogging by what we call "the swamp". She ran over a nest of eggs. What makes a nest on the ground?

Turkey.....

A little while later and roughly $100 I am the new owner of an incubator. She saved IIRC 4 eggs, two hatched out. She then went out and bought two more turkeys. We kept them safe in a pen with the chickens, had zero issues, and when they got large enough let them go. But they would not leave. Come home from work and they would run to the car, let you pet them, give them some food. At night they would roost on my chimney.....and crap all over the roof.

As time went on they came around less and less often. It was kind of fun having a couple pet turkeys. Some big strong and really smart birds.

I could see real easy the fascination with a wild animal as a pet. But then again I do live in Missouri.

Had some baby skunks under the porch, eyes not even open. Guess mom was roadkill. We took them to the place that takes care of wounded animals. So cute and made little squeaks. Yea I could have a pet real easy.

I'm feeding two squirrels on the back deck as I type. Plus the usual coons at night that clean up the leftover catfood. The deer and fox are yard pets

Story time:

A few years ago the wife was brush hogging by what we call "the swamp". She ran over a nest of eggs. What makes a nest on the ground?

Turkey.....

A little while later and roughly $100 I am the new owner of an incubator. She saved IIRC 4 eggs, two hatched out. She then went out and bought two more turkeys. We kept them safe in a pen with the chickens, had zero issues, and when they got large enough let them go. But they would not leave. Come home from work and they would run to the car, let you pet them, give them some food. At night they would roost on my chimney.....and crap all over the roof.

As time went on they came around less and less often. It was kind of fun having a couple pet turkeys. Some big strong and really smart birds.

I could see real easy the fascination with a wild animal as a pet. But then again I do live in Missouri.

Had some baby skunks under the porch, eyes not even open. Guess mom was roadkill. We took them to the place that takes care of wounded animals. So cute and made little squeaks. Yea I could have a pet real easy.
Was driving out on the private dirt road leading to the cabin and there were a flock of turkeys in a pastgure. I slowed down to waqtch them and they started walking to the truck.

Next day they were in the neighbors yard and when I went outside they came running to me and surrounded me. Then they took over the cabin, on the roof, front porch and roosted on the back deck. I could pet them. One lay down at my feet and went to sleep. I went and got them feed.

They roosted in oak trees down by the lake edge and gobbled gobbled up a storm. That attracted coyotes and at least two bobcats and one by one, the trusting smart turkeys dissapeared.

Was driving out on the private dirt road leading to the cabin and there were a flock of turkeys in a pastgure. I slowed down to waqtch them and they started walking to the truck.

Next day they were in the neighbors yard and when I went outside they came running to me and surrounded me. Then they took over the cabin, on the roof, front porch and roosted on the back deck. I could pet them. One lay down at my feet and went to sleep. I went and got them feed.

They roosted in oak trees down by the lake edge and gobbled gobbled up a storm. That attracted coyotes and at least two bobcats and one by one, the trusting smart turkeys dissapeared.
So, it does work. You can catch a turkey by putting salt on its tail.

I have read about "real" wild animals being not afraid of humans but never have had it happen to me personally. We also have coyotes and bob kitties, and I will go to my grave thinking I had a mountain lion in my back yard, I really wish I got a photo. Roughly 1/2 a mile out, looking and I am thinking, that is one big ass cat, and look how thick that tail is. Honey get me the binos, dog damn I think that is a cougar.

When these turkey hung around the house, they usually hung out in the woods, and you would see them running across the back yard. Not sure what they did during the day.

I think in the time I have lived there I have seen two coyotes, and one of those was on my game cam. But during the spring and summer/ warmer months you hear them outside all night. If a dog wants to go out I always take a gun with me if it is even near dark.

I don't know how my turkeys did not get eaten by the coyotes, the grew up in a very sheltered life, pen with a net over the top for the chickens. Guess they just knew. I do know I could hear the coyotes when the turkeys are on the roof and I wondered what the turkey are thinking hearing all that.

Rest in peace bro.

Icons of a generation that got shit done and taught others to do the same. The REAL influencers that we really need. I am going to watch Deliverance again today in his honor.
Some of the extras were real Appalachian people of the area, such as the old man that put gas in the vehicle and was clog dancing when bango boy started playing. The hillbillies I knew that went and saw the movie were laughing about how he told Ned Beatty "You don't know nuthin'" as that was their opinion of city slickers too.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
While I appreciate the interaction, even to the point of making wild animals "pets", I've just had family members injured by so-called "pets" so that's why I don't get the appeal. Two of them were gravely injured by a "pet" deer, both had to be airlifted, and both had long-term debilitations from it. My Mom got torn up pretty good by a pet raccoon as well. And all of us are animal lovers, but pets and wild animals are two different things in my book, as they should be.

Reactions: oneshot86