• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Well fellas, I finally went and did it

Dead Eye Dick

Command Spec 4 (formally known as Wiillk)
Supporter
Minuteman
May 18, 2020
North Louisiana
After years of thinking, saving and then spending the saved money on something that was more important (like a 50th Anniversary gift for my wife, who I am truly blessed to have; that was the last one). Trying to decide to go inexpensive or no, do I really want the one that was more expensive. Trying to decide which of the five different and obvious (to me) choices, Rim-X, Vudoo, Curtis Conversion, Bergara B-14 or the CS 457 in a Manners stock. Then, since I really wanted to try a Manners having been very impressed with them but having all three in chassis, (now two, I sold one) do I want to try a Manners or go back with a chassis. So, after much worrying over which and generally jsut hem-hawing around, I went and done It

I made a couple of sales, and got a windfall so I went ahead and made the choice. A Vudoo Gen 3 in an MPA chassis will be heading this way. It’s what I really wanted all along. Brenda is not terribly upset because I am having it built rather light (she worries about me shooting my 18-20 pound chassis rifles)

Now, the scope. I like my MK5 5-25’s. But maybe a Bushnell this time, or another MK5, or a new MK4 and if I don’t like it, I can put it on Brenda’s .223 and get a MK5 or A Leica 5-25, some really brag on the Zeiss but a ZCO which is the obvious choice is just not in the budget.

Now, I truly believe, that this will likely be my last. At my age, I have far too many sitting in the gun safe, gathering dust. But so many were anniversary gifts, birthday gifts, builds, my IHMSA handguns, our revolver collection (we have some specials)….. Don’t ask because it is against forum rules and at this point, they are Not for sale, yet.

Congrats! Excellent choice. You will be happy with the Vudoo for sure. Which MDT chassis you choose?

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
Congrats! Excellent choice. You will be happy with the Vudoo for sure. Which MDT chassis you choose?
The BA lightweight. Again, it was a choice of weight. Its has to be light or I am in the dog house. I’ll use weights to balance it.

Reactions: Rob01
Yup if you need to keep it lighter then a good choice. I just picked up an MPA Matrix Pro to try out. I am usually a Manners guy but wanted to try a chassis since it's been a while since I have and the new ones look interesting. Throw up a pic when you get it.

So what's your price range for a scope?

IMG_3936.jpg

Yup if you need to keep it lighter then a good choice. I just picked up an MPA Matrix Pro to try out. I am usually a Manners guy but wanted to try a chassis since it's been a while since I have and the new ones look interesting. Throw up a pic when you get it.

So what's your price range for a scope?

View attachment 8327423
I have not really set it yet. Still thinking 2500 would be max and that’s stretching it a bit. It would be better if I went less and had enough spare fun’s to purchase a new range finding binoculars. My current rangefinder is really lacking

I have not really set it yet. Still thinking 2500 would be max and that’s stretching it a bit. It would be better if I went less and had enough spare fun’s to purchase a new range finding binoculars. My current rangefinder is really lacking
Got lots of options below $2500. What power range and use for the scope?

Congrats on the rifle, I believe it will serve you well. I would suggest watching the PX for deals. The ZCO is a fantastic scope but likely at least $500 over your pushed max. The NF ATACR could be within range as well as the Vortex. Enjoy, it appears you have earned it!!

Got lots of options below $2500. What power range and use for the scope?
Generally the 5 - 25 of the MK5's I own. Rarely use more than 17x and never more than 20 when shooting. If I am asked to spot another's shot or looking for bullet holes at 300 yards, I'll turn it up to 25.

Rifle is going to be a local trainer, our range is limited to 300 yards and for both of my 6GT's that range is so close, I only shoot that close to make sure the scope settings are still correct. We have .22 swinger targets left over from our small bore IHMSA days, so, they out to be perfect at that range for a .22. Also, Prince and Altus are having 22 matches. Both constitute semi home ranges, Prince is a couple hours from our home in Louisiana and Altus is less than an hour from our son's home in Florida.

Currently restricted by my wife to not shoot any matches. A major health problem that is turning out to be not a major problem, but everyone wants me to be a bit careful for a while (Hence the new name "dead eye") but I have 20-16 vision in both eyes as of Wednesday, January 17, 2024. Even got a few letters correct on the 20-12.5 line)

With everyone's permission, Brenda and all the doctor's that have been treating, I am going to start indoor cycling and weight training on Monday.

Take a look at that Tract 4-25 in my pic above. With a 20 moa mount I have about 27 mils of elevation after 50 yard zero. The scope has 47 mils of elevation so you can reach out there easily. Has a very good reticle and glass. And even at street price is $1000 under your limit and if Mil/LE/Vet it's about half your limit.

congrats on the new rifle.

I just went thru the same process at the beginning of the week.

I went with a mpa matrix pro, vudoo 360.

for the optic I had the same budget (2500$) and ended up going with the zeiss lrp s3 6-36. Was able to get one for under 2000$ which leave me room for some accessories or ammo in the budget.

Like Rob said the tract toric elr with the schott glass came close second.

Yeah the Zeiss is a great scope. It's what I have on my main Vudoo. I'd take it over the Tract but it's a good deal more also. Comes down to what he wants to spend. That said they have come up in the PX recently for about $1900. Also if he can use Expertvoice he can get a good deal also.

Congratulations. You gotta keep the gatekeeper happy 🤣
That being said, you gotta get yours.

Great deal here!

Here’s mine for sale.

Scope wise I have a Zeiss 6-36x56 on my Vudoo and on my custom CZ 457 has a Tract Torric 4.5-30x56. I pickup the Tract from a Hide member for $1400 he said he never even mounted it. It was in perfect condition. You can find some good deals here on the Hide.

Had a lot of great recommendations and really wish I could try them all. The rifle is in Monroe, but Diamond is closed today so it should be delivered tomorrow. Get it and put it together on Wednesday. Then weighing it to get it balanced, and sighted in. Its gonna be a fun experience.

Still Sunday we spent time with our other .22's. The 541s shot as good as the day it was new, 50+ years ago. The trigger is shocking. Damn, I wish Remington could make something like this again. I remember the purchase well. I walked into Hunt & Whittaker, Handed My good friend, Steve Brooks my entire month's paycheck and walked out with Brenda's Wedding present. Still the best looking rifle we own.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
I miss my 541, it was a great rifle that I stupidly traded for a Kimber (still have it). My favorite oldies though is my 52C, but not anywhere near a pretty as the Remington. Enjoy

congrats on the new rifle.

I just went thru the same process at the beginning of the week.

I went with a mpa matrix pro, vudoo 360.

for the optic I had the same budget (2500$) and ended up going with the zeiss lrp s3 6-36. Was able to get one for under 2000$ which leave me room for some accessories or ammo in the budget.

Like Rob said the tract toric elr with the schott glass came close second.
Is this be a MPA build or Vudoo? I'm interested in the MAP build, but haven't seen any reviews yet.

I have both and prefer the Zeiss 6-36X56 over the Tract 4.5-30X56. Also on the lower end have a stock CZ 457 MTR with the Vortex Venom 5-25X56 and for the money its a great scope.

Fitted out yesterday. Decided to go with a MKVHD as that is what I have been using on centerfires and been happy with them.

Brenda was kind a ok with this because we both agreed that I really needed to start shooting lighter rifles. I was planning on this rifle being in the 12 pound range as opposed to my twin 6GT’s that go right at 19 pounds. When we weighted it ready to shoot on a very accurate digital scale, it weighted 12 pounds and one ounce. Perfect!

(As said, Brenda was sorta ok with this EXCEPT being my money manager she was not real thrilled with the total cost. That’s ok, she keeps me solvent)

I’m pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Vudoo Gen 3 Action
22” Kukri contour
MPA ultra light chassis
Trigger Tech Diamond
Atlas bipod with Gray Ops ARCA adapter.
Leupold MKV 5x25 PR2 reticle
Leupold MK4 rings.

Good Job Vudoo

IMG_1321.jpeg

I have a very near twin of that rifle above in CF! Ive thought about doing a second ultralite in rf sometime myself and my target weight is also like 12-13 generally.